Is it time to call up Morin, Sanheim or Hagg?

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
Is there a way to watch the ahl games? I dont think nhl.tv has the option.

If so, please send the kids down so I can watch some good hockey

nevermind found ahl dot neulion dot com/ahl/

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Hextall knows what he's doing. NHL team either can win a cup or they can't it's a very black and white thing. Our GM knows this. He's seen what a winning team looks like and what it takes to win in the NHL today. The reason he's not freaking out is because he knows the team isn't suppose to be winning right now. He knows the forward group is sub-par and also recognizes that more than half the d-corps is either a bottom pair defender or worse.

Every person, coach included, has a specific role in a specific plan that's reevaluated at regular intervals. Hexy and Hak want a specific type of player to fit into a particular piece of a larger system for each part of that system and of the 20 necessary pieces they probably have 6 that are what they want right now looking at the long-term picture. That's a lot of fixing to be done. And frankly if the difference is marginal from say finishing 20th or 22nd you say "meh, better picks, not ready yet". This idea that teams honestly believe they can win every year is just lip service.

It doesn't mean the coach is poor or the GM is lost, quite the opposite. They know what the situation is and are building to have the team they want, top to bottom. Hak wasn't hired to deal with the finished product players (or now), but the guys like Provy, Lindblom, Myers, Allison, Stolie, ect... Hextall is looking 4-5 years down the road when the coach has a team he can do something with. If he was hired merely to develop those players and not win with them than fine.

Just look at Babcock and Toronto. Last year they were a bottom feeder and played Matt Hunwick for 60 games. You work with what you have. Sure some line-up decisions are stupid but if its the difference between winning 5 games and not for a team that can really compete anyway it seems silly over the long-term when it costs you better assets.

This year, they have weapons and it shows.

Philly was a wild card bubble team coming into the season and is where they are currently. Basically, stay the course and don't expect the team to overachieve. Doesn't mean you have to over react when things go south or too far north.

The kids can come up at the end of this year or next so they can make a smooth transition without needing to be sent down, or mess with contracts unnecessarily.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If there's space on the roster I'm all for it. Call up whichever is looking most NHL-ready. I'm a big believer in playing guys if they're ready and better than present options. This team's D looks like crap, so if one of the young guys looks like a better option, give him a shot. Worst case scenario, they play a couple games and are eaten up. Go finish the year in the AHL.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Having and Sanheim/Morin play at the NHL level will not hinder their development whatsoever. The only "thing" that has a chance of ruining their development would be Hakstol. Morin and Sanheim would be upgrades if not significant ones, on Manning, MacDonald or MDZ.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Having and Sanheim/Morin play at the NHL level will not hinder their development whatsoever. The only "thing" that has a chance of ruining their development would be Hakstol. Morin and Sanheim would be upgrades if not significant ones, on Manning, MacDonald or MDZ.

Unless they're not ready. That's my only concern. Morin looked pretty much good to go in preseason. If Provolone wasn't here, I would guess Morin would be. That being said, I don't know if he really is ready as of today (or if Sanheim or Hagg is either). I wouldn't force it, but if one of them are a better option than someone we have now, do it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1. Nothing's going to happen unless a couple defenseman are injured and/or traded. They have 8 healthy defenseman on the roster with NHL contracts. Hextall could waive Schultz, but I don't think that happens.

2. Is this to give the big club a jolt? If so, the only one of the 3 that could potentially have a big enough impact to influence wins/losses is Sanheim. He's getting more comfortable in the A and is on a nice little run offensively. I have no doubt he could play in the NHL right now, but I wouldn't mess with him by calling him up at this point. Streit would definitely need to be moved in order to get him PP time too. The Phantoms officially hit the halfway mark of the season yesterday, I'd like to see him get a minutes bump before he gets the call.

3. If you're calling up Morin or Hagg to see what they have, they should be getting the call on merit and by their play in the AHL, not because the NHL team is struggling. Not to beat up on Hagg, but I don't know what he's done to even get in this conversation. He needs to show a lot more in my opinion.

4. Hextall is in a tough spot. While their playoff odds are slim at the moment, they are still likely to be within shouting distance of a wildcard spot until the final weeks/days. I don't think he is going to gut this team and call up a kid or two for the stretch run.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
The only reason to bring them up would be for NHL experience/development, I doubt bringing any of the 3 up now would make us immediately better.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
1. Nothing's going to happen unless a couple defenseman are injured and/or traded. They have 8 healthy defenseman on the roster with NHL contracts. Hextall could waive Schultz, but I don't think that happens.

Yeah, we would need two injuries for a dman to be called up.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
The Flyers have 8 d-men now. There would have to be moves made. But I would rather Sanheim and Morin just finish the season and get some AHL playoff experience. Then come to training camp; let them go earn their NHL jobs and start their careers at the beginning of a season. If they do; there will be bumps in the road next year. So expect a similar type season especially if Hextall brings back one of these goalies as the starter. But I would watch kids learn then watch players like DelZotto and Manning who are borderline NHL players at this point.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'd be tempted to bring up Hagg if I wasn't still showcasing MDZ and Streit pre trade deadline and praying they put together some good games so they can be shipped out. *removes GM hat*

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's feeling more and more like Hagg will be the next call up. I give Isaac **** for some of his opinions, but when he's sourcing the Phantoms coaching staff directly you have to take it seriously.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ving-up-lehigh-valley-phantoms-hype/98007818/

Finally, Hagg is coming around. The consensus among the Phantoms’ coaching staff is that he has been the most consistent defenseman this year and that’s after the team added Moorestown native T.J. Brennan and Will O’Neill, two of the top offensive defensemen in the AHL the last several years.

Last year Hagg, “never got to a point where you knew what you were going to get from him,” his coach said.

He’s come a long way and that’s a big jump for a defenseman who was almost the forgotten name in the crop of prospects on the blueline the Flyers have been grooming.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I voted No because I don't want them in the same building, let alone same bench as Hakstol.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
There is one thing in the world that even you would think is stupider than Hakstol.
And that one thing is this:

That is so embarrassing. Like something a 13 year old white boy from a middle class family who hangs out at Hot Topic with his bois on the weekend, plays the penis game, and carries around a skateboard he doesn't know how to use would listen to

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad