Is it time to admit that Laine might be better than Eichel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Eichel is on the 31st place team, Laine is on the 1st place team. Let's use our brains a bit here and realize a straight up point for point comparison doesn't tell the whole story. Laine isn't even the best F on his team. Eichel gets matched with every teams best shutdown players. Idk who's better right now but people are definitely sleeping on eichels talent
Agreed. Came to say Winnipeg isn't 1st overall because of Laine...and Buffalo isn't 31st because of Eichel.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Little and Ehlers aren't weaker than Hyman and Brown
I know. I was speaking generally about the usage of competition on here. You can't have quality of competition without quality of teammates, the latter in most cases being more of an impact.

Ryan McDonagh is a great example of this since he was absolutely stapled to Dan Girardi for years. He's used as a #1D so obviously he is going to see the ice more than any other forward for either team, meaning he will have to face more than just the other team's 1st line. In 50% of the games he plays, the other team will have last change, so AV can not always choose who he goes out against. Then you have to factor in on-the-fly shifts vs. zone starts, who's tired or not, special teams, and so on.

He will still face the top competition most of the time, but not always, whereas he will almost always be with Girardi, (or now, his new buddy, Nick Holden lol).

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I mean, that's not really true. If you have to make something up to prove your point, you're doing something wrong

But I was consistently told that Matthews was hindered last year because he was playing on the 3rd line with 3rd line players.

Or was Hyman actually starting on the Leafs first line last year???

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
PP points didn't seem to be a big deal last year when that's how Nylander was scoring.

I think Laine will be fine. I hope that he can become a force at even strength but who knows how long that will take. My guess is -1 years.

Even Strength Scoring Leaders: 2016-17 NHL Season

It still blows my mind that the Jets had 4 players in the top 15 in even strength scoring last year and didn't make the playoffs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think time will make this more evident. Centers and defensemen win championships. Sergachev and McAvoy are exactly the type of players you want in a playoff series grind. Laine is a great power play shooter, but it’s difficult to 1) rely on the power play to score in the playoffs once players play smarter and refs put away their whistles, and 2) get your shot off once you even get the power play, because in a 7 game series, opponents study you and know your tendencies, and will take away your time and space to shoot. It’s for the same reason Ovechkin has been neutralized so well in the playoffs, and Laine is nowhere near Ovechkin’s level.

I believe Sergachev or McAvoy, even if it means minus Laine, would’ve made the Jets one of the favorites this year. I can’t say that with their current defense core.

Your free to believe what you want. I'm quite happy with the team we have now and moving forward.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But I was consistently told that Matthews was hindered last year because he was playing on the 3rd line with 3rd line players.

Hyman started on the leafs first line and has remained there for a while now. Unless you still think Matthews isn't the 1c even now?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Hyman was and still is on the first line (unfortunately). Averaged 16:42 last year with no PP time at all, up to 17:29 this year. 18:29 in the playoffs.

Matthews was 1st among our centers in TOI last year, whoever was on his line was objectively on the 1st line.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Hyman started on the leafs first line and has remained there for a while now. Unless you still think Matthews isn't the 1c even now?
Oh no I have always thought he is a 1c. I am not the one saying he isn't a 1c.

I just hate inconsistency in threads like this.

"Laine gets the benefit of playing against 2nd line competition"

"Didn't Matthews start out on the 3rd line last year"

"WHAT DO YOU NOT THINK HE'S A 1C???"

Seems iffy at best to me.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Hyman was and still is on the first line (unfortunately). Averaged 16:42 last year with no PP time at all, up to 17:29 this year. 18:29 in the playoffs.

Matthews was 1st among our centers in TOI last year, whoever was on his line was objectively on the 1st line.

Saw that and it makes sense as he's easily a top 3 C. I am just making sure that the "narrative" is as consistent as possible from one player to another.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It still blows my mind that the Jets had 4 players in the top 15 in even strength scoring last year and didn't make the playoffs.
Winnipeg has been under-achieving for like at least 3 seasons in a row. They've had a really good team for a while and they're finally making something happen.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Their defense and goaltending was suspect. Hellebuyck has taken care of the goaltending, so once the Jets find some personnel to shore up their D (even better if it’s a young, cheap defender on an ELC), the Jets will be really scary.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Laine gets all the easy matchups. If I was playing the Jets, I would be more concerned about shutting down Scheifele and Wheeler before Laine came to mind. Heck, I mind even think of Ehlers before Laine. I would only really focus on Laine for the penalty kill.

Eichel is the Buffalo Sabres. He gets Weber, Vlasic and all the other shutdown matchups.

Plus, Laine has a lot more players who are capable of setting him up and playing at an elite level with him on his team whereas Buffalo is far from a team full of offensive options for Eichel to work with

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Their defense and goaltending was suspect. Hellebuyck has taken care of the goaltending, so once the Jets find some personnel to shore up their D (even better if it’s a young, cheap defender on an ELC), the Jets will be really scary.

D has been good this year with the addition of a healthy Myers, Kulikov, an experienced Morrissey and Trouba.

Poolman has been a nice surprise as well.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Where were you in the GDT the other night? I was complimenting Freddy Andersen so much, you would think I was talking about Terry Sawchuk. You are free to look it up if you need my validation.

Wow, complimenting a guy that made 47 saves in a 2-1 win, so magnanminous of you.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I don't know how you were consistently told that Matthews was on the 3rd line last year, as I have never heard the claim once. There was a consistent claim last year that Matthews was playing with 2 rookie linemates with either Brown or Nylander on his one wing and on the other wing was carrying Hyman (who people considered a fourth liner). But that doesn't mean that Matthews was not playing on the Leafs' top line or that opposing coaches were not targeting Matthews line as the most dangerous line they faced. Of course they were - they are not dumb.

It is often said that Toronto doesn't have a first, second, and third line. Just 3 equal lines. But last season, and this season, Toronto's Cs by ES ice time were:
1) Matthews (by a significant and growing margin)
2) Kadri
3) Bozak (by a significant and growing margin)
4) whoever the 4th line C was - Moore, Boyle etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad