Is it time to admit Drouin is a bust ?

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Not a bust

Just a disappointment

All the talent in world to be star but not the work ethic and desire

This, hard to consider him a bust when he has >50 points in 2 of his last 3 seasons(and he almost had 50 points in the other season). He's still young as well, he still has the potential to grow his game.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Drouin did look amazing when he was given a chance to play with Kucherov. The thing is, he thinks he is Kucherov. Or better.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Yes, he's a bust for sure, and it isn't up for debate.

19789999.jpg

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
+1 to “disappointing, but not a bust.” I can still see him putting up 70+ points in the future, his skill level is extremely high, but he IS soft and weak defensively. Drouin in Montreal reminds me a bit of Kessel in Toronto - the team wants him to be a leader and dominant player, but he’d be better off on a veteran team like Pittsburgh, where he’d be more of a supporting star that can just focus on offence.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and Fixxer

Pulpfishin

Apr 11, 2018
I find it hard to believe that there's another GM that would want to trade for this guy. Tampa sent him down to work on his game and he refused to report? He basically took his stick and went home crying. And now he's finally where he wants to be and playing in front of the fans he loves and he still can't put the work in to get better? I wouldn't want him in my locker room. Guys like that bring everyone around them down.

Reactions: Homesick

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Some people say he's lazy, but i just see it as having so much talent that he's never had to up his game and now he doesnt know how. Kinda like a kid that gets straight As throughout highschool without ever needing to study... then he gets to University.

you see this in occasions when he goes full speed with the puck, burns through 2 guys before getting in the zone and realizing he's 1 person versus 3, and ends up having to dump it or try to make a risky pass, those being his only options at that point

Exactly. He never adapted his game. You can do that in Junior but not in the big leagues. He's also always had an ego which doesn't help. He didn't even report to us (Mooseheads) until he realized how good we are (and there were rumours we bribed him with cash but never confirmed). Then when Tampa cut him one year he came back to our team sulking and played like shit for the first month.

For the record, while in junior he was actually my favourite junior player ever and helped us get our first memorial Cup. But I'm merely pointing out this shouldn't be a shock that he hasn't lived up to the hype because he never changed his game.

Reactions: Fixxer

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Exactly. He never adapted his game. You can do that in Junior but not in the big leagues. He's also always had an ego which doesn't help. He didn't even report to us (Mooseheads) until he realized how good we are (and there were rumours we bribed him with cash but never confirmed). Then when Tampa cut him one year he came back to our team sulking and played like **** for the first month.

For the record, while in junior he was actually my favourite junior player ever and helped us get our first memorial Cup. But I'm merely pointing out this shouldn't be a shock that he hasn't lived up to the hype because he never changed his game.

I see it as an indication that he's in need of direction, as if he needs a mentor who has been through that too.. Mtl is retooling, so the timing is bad and he's actually touted as a young veteran.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Bust is too strong of a word, but he's definitely fell below expectations. He seemed like a guy who would put up 70+ points a year easily when he was in junior.

Reactions: BHD

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I was super hard on Drouin the latter half of this year, but he's far from irredeemable.

Look at Lindholm's career year this year. Some guys just take a while.

I won't deny he was bitterly disappointing the last two years. But it was mostly because of his defensive play, not failing to reach lofty point totals.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Bust is too strong of a word, but he's definitely fell below expectations. He seemed like a guy who would put up 70+ points a year easily when he was in junior.

This is a fair post. He might never put up the gaudy point totals (like he did in junior), but it doesn't make him any less talented of a player. IMO, he's better suited being part of the supporting cast rather than assuming the lead role.

Reactions: Fixxer

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He still has the skills to put up some 70+ point Seasons in the future, but he's definitely been a disappointment thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad