Is it time to admit Drouin is a bust ?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
It's been obvious since the WJC that he had elite skill but seriously lacked hockey IQ. Dude would buzz around the offensive zone deking opponents all over the place, passing up numerous good shooting and passing opportunities only to find himself in a worse position. Buddy needs to learn how to identify and take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves rather than just holding the puck until it's a no brainer.

Reactions: Jacob

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He is an NHL player (not bust). He is very disappointing. Also still remember how Cherry was mad Barkov got chosen 2nd OA that draft. He thought Drouin should've.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Not a bust. Just a fact that people here will give players with slick hands way more credit than they deserve because they look exciting. They ignore the fact that Drouin was godawful at backchecking in junior, was consistently outplayed by Ehlers on a nightly basis, and repeatedly skated 1-on-1 only to lose the puck and have an odd man opportunity go the other way. He's still good, but it's his lack of a brain that holds him back. He'd be lethal if he could accept reality and play for his team instead of the scoresheet

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I would accept the no points games if he actually contributed during the game but he doesn’t. He floats around looking disinterested 95% of the time. Playing with better players? Gallagher plays with the same players but has managed to score 33 goals with less talent, the difference is Gally has work ethic which Drouin doesn’t which is why Drouin will never be a great player. Stop making excuses for him

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Drouin was the best junior player I've ever seen live, it was absurd the things he could do with the puck every shift.

It just doesn't work in the NHL though, unfortunately really because it was damn entertaining to watch.

That's not true though. Kane, Marner, Debrincat all were able to translate their junior game to the NHL

Reactions: klabob

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
All I want to say is I called it back in 2017

There is a reason Drouin went so cheap. Steve knew he would be paid like an impact forward, but in reality he is a complimentary piece who needs to be sheltered to be effective.

Seeing as he's already quit on his franchise once, we'll see what happens when he isn't the savior and under performs and the media starts on him. I predict we see 2015 end of season Kessel performance out of him at some point in the next 3 years when things start to get tough in Montreal.

Who else besides Drouin could Montreal have gotten for Sergachev?

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
A lot of people that aren't Habs fans seem to be acting like he's being scapegoated. Drouin is responsible for how he's being viewed. He has been terrible, worse than even his dreadful advanced stats indicate.

I've watched nearly every game for the Habs this year, and Drouin consistently costs the team. Significantly more so compared to what he brings. There is still the odd Drouin fan but there's less and less by the game.

I hope he is moved, and quickly. Move on, cut your losses and get some value back for a net negative impact player.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He doesn't know what to do in the offensive zone to create scoring chances. The checking is too tight in the NHL and there is not as much space as in juniors. He often tries dekes that don't work and even if they do, it doesn't place him in a better position to score.

He often shoots from afar because he doesn't see other options even know he has a weak shot and is supposed to be a playmaker.

He isn't strong enough to do good work along the boards and often loses puck battles.

He is totally clueless in the defensive zone.

He is decent at carrying the puck through the neutral zone, but usually loses it or makes a bad play after.

He is quick, has great hands and passing skills, but doesn't know how to put it all together in order to be a productive NHL player.

50-60 pts a year as a 2nd line LW is what you can expect from here on out.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's simply not a driver of a line. You give him some skill guys where he can be a passenger, he will probably have some nice point totals.

He's in a spot now where I think the market is getting to him mentally, so it makes things even worse.

Overall, he reminds me of Tim connolly in certain respects. A skill guy that likes to dangle too much, but not really a top guy you can rely on. They will tease you once in a while though.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
As salaries balloon like crazy again, his contract will be more reasonable. Just a tragic case of all flash with little hockey IQ. What made Gretzky, Mario, and Crosby so great was they had oozles of talent with insane hockey IQ. He was never going to be a superstar but more a youtube highligh every once in a while.
Sad but true. That's the reason why his low% plays worked consistently in Jr, where his opponents where outmatched by his skill alone.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Drouin is the most disappointing player I've ever watched. He finds a new way to frustrate me every shift. Here's what you can expect from him each game: Some (failed) attemps to deke out the entire opposing team, drop passes to no one, fresh-baked turnovers to the opposing team, lazy effort and no back checking.

We could have warned you. But we needed Serge.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4