Is it time for Oilers to trade McDavid or Draisaitl

Should the Oilers trade McDavid or Driasaitl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
No but they should start by trading their next 2 firsts and 2nds for a good goalie and dman. U gotta take advantage of Mcdavid and Draisaitls peak years. I would trade a first + for Gibson (doubt Anaheim trades him now though there doing good) and a 1st++ for Chychrun.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The Oilers would be foolish to trade either player before their contracts are over, unless for some reason one of them demands a trade.

The problem seems to be management not properly assessing and addressing the weaknesses of the team. If management doesn't seem capable of doing that properly, then why would we think they could maximize either player's value in a trade?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Seriously they are not the problem trade someone else or picks but they are the team. Having the two best Forwards in league is not something you consider breaking up.

I fixed your statement a little bit.

Hockey fans are so fixated on the best players always being forwards. This site is rife with debates over forwards. A strong argument could be made that the top 3 D men (Hedman, Makar, Fox) are just as valuable to their teams as the top 3 forwards (McDavid, Drai, MacK).

So....would it make sense to trade a Drai for Fox? If it makes the Oilers better, than it would. I don't buy this...."you don't trade the two best players in the league" stuff. Best players mean jack if your team isn't well rounded.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
only reason you trade either of those players right now is if you 100% believe they are not playoff performers. Penguins won 3 cups with 2 expensive players. Didnt vote, the no option is worded dumb. Choices are trade them or "continue losing forever" . can obviously change strategy, management and other things.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Absolutely they should. It would be a pretty dumb move by them though.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The f***? a 6 game losing streak is all it takes to ship off one of the only two guys on that team that's worth a damn? Try being a fan of a team that doesn't have 2 of the top 5 players in the world.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
[mod]

Yes let's trade the guys who outscore the 20 others on the team put together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
No. The problem is how the other money is spent. Players like Barrie, Kassian, Keith and Koskinen. If that money was better spent it would be a different ball game. Barrie should never have been re-signed, I said that since the day they first signed him, should have only been a 1 season signing with Bouchard taking over afterwards. If Barrie had other good elements to his game that would be another story but since his only benefit is powerplay, Nurse and Bouchard can easily fill that role. Kassian is a good player but far too inconsistent. He was never a long term solution to play in the top 6 so they should not have given him that contract. Keith actually has not played badly but he is maybe a 2.5- to 3.0 m level d-man at most right now. If the Oilers had tons of cap space it would be fine but when you are tight at the cap you don't acquire a d-man that is only worth about half his cap hit at this point. Koskinen is a backup goalie.

These issues are nothing new. The Oilers will start winning again but they will still have the same issue regardless if they win their next 10 in a row. The team is not good enough to win a cup yet but anyone that knows anything should have known that already and not need a 6 game losing streak to make themselves feel smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkeeterPumpkinEater

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Time is a flat circle. This is "should Pittsburgh trade Malkin?" all over again. There is no package out there that I'd trade either for. Nothing they would return would ever be worth it. Fans would immediately hate whichever players came in because they suck and could never fill the shoes.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Is it time for the Oilers to use one of their best assets and make a trade to round out the team and address their weaknesses that have been a patchwork of unwanted NHL players for the 3rd and 4th line, along with a goalie and a defenseman.

bender-oh-wait-bender.gif

The solution is to trade Draisaitl/McDavid for a 3rd or 4th line, a goalie, and a defenseman? Is Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd still available, because it would be about that bad. No goalie is worth that, and we aren't getting NYR/COL to give us Fox or Makar, so there's no trade to be had. Was wondering how many games we would need to lose before you started making dumb threads about us though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, its time for some of the underperforming players on the Oilers to play better. It's time for our GM to fill some holes on our roster (starting goalie, 3C, 2 or 3 LD, 2RW). It's time for our coach to put a system in place that isn't pond hockey. It's time for a lot of things. But trading Draisaitl or McDavid is not among them. The bones of a great team is here. Improvements were made over last season, but not in enough areas.
Hyman - McDavid - Pulujarvi
Nuge - Draisaitl - FIX
Foegle - FIX - Yamamoto
FIX - McLeod - Kassian (or Sceviour if we can move Kassian)

Nurse - Bouchard
FIX - Ceci
Keith - FIX (after we trade Barrie to fix another hole or for cap space)

FIX
Smith/Skinner

That's six spots that need to be fixed. That's the trademark of a bad team, but you don't dump elite players to fill those holes. You never need to do that. We have too many awful depth players, and Holland failed at upgrading on many of the guys he let go so he could "improve".

I really wish there were a 3rd option on this poll, as trading McDavid or Draisaitl and "status quo" aren't the only options here.

Last edited:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
No.

They need to start by trading a first round pick to round out the team.

I know people like to panic and the Oilers have underperformed the past few years, but McDavid and Draisaitl are still so young, there's some good additional pieces on the team, and the division isn't the strongest. They're not one move away from being where they need to be, but a few tweaks and some patience over the next few years and it's very possible to get there. The issue is - is Holland the right guy to make those changes? I dunno.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Yes trading McDavid, Holloway for Heiskanen, Hintz, Glendening and Holtby would make them instantly a contender

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Imagine the Penguins trading Crosby or Malkin early in their careers in order to "round out" the team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No it's time for a real GM.

Everything that's happened since Holland has been hired has been predicted. He's a f***ing dinosaur and he runs his team like he is.

And is there a single non-first round pick on their roster that doesn't suck?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
It's an entertainment business and having both keeps the value of the team sky high and keeps ticket prices sky high, so no.

31/32 are losers at the end of the season, there is no way a trade for McDavid or Draisaitl will be allowed by the owner, period, end of.

Because of Gretzky gate too, something the city has never gotten over, they will never willingly trade players like this. They have a few years to build up better depth around them and either they do it or they don't, but there will be no trade.
They won another cup without Gretzky.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Hockey fans are so fixated on the best players always being forwards. This site is rife with debates over forwards. A strong argument could be made that the top 3 D men (Hedman, Makar, Fox) are just as valuable to their teams as the top 3 forwards (McDavid, Drai, MacK).

So....would it make sense to trade a Drai for Fox? If it makes the Oilers better, than it would. I don't buy this...."you don't trade the two best players in the league" stuff. Best players mean jack if your team isn't well rounded.
Do you really think Rangers would ever trade Adam Fox? Fox is the fan favorite darling of the team.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Yeah trade them each for a plethora of top prospects and build a team instead of a 2 man show.

Trade McDavid to Detroit for Seider, Raymond, Larkin, Edvinsson, and Nedeljkovic.

Trade Draisaitl to New Jersey for Hughes, Hughes, Holtz, and Bratt.

Dump all those terrible contracts in those trades and you're set

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers should make packages:

Foegele
Kassian
Barrie
Ceci

+ 1st:s, 2nd:s etc

for young upcoming CHEAP players.

RNH, Hyman, Keith have NMC:s and are untradeable. If they choose to waive then trade them all with sweateners.

If I was to choose, I`d trade Nurse fast for anyone willing to eat that albatross-contract before it kicks in in the summer.

I also wouldconsider trading McDavid if the price was right. I`d want a 1C on a good contract, a 1st liner/1st pairing D, picks and prospects. Doubt they would do it but here are some I`d say would actually come to mind:

Carolina:

Sebastian Aho 8,5M
Brett Pesce 4M
Martin Necas 0.895M
1st 2022

Florida:

Barkov 10M/8yrs UFA 2030
Weegar 3,25M UFA 2023
Lundell 0.925 RFA 2024
1st

Theese packages could actually make Edmonton better as a team. PR is another story though.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
They would further reduce their chances of winning the Cup by trading away either of McDavid or Draisaitl. You will never receive equal value in return for players of this caliber.

I disagree. Some team in a smaller market could actually pay a kings ransom fro the PR to have McDavid on the team. For the owners the $$ count and McDavid would be a player that actually could fetch a lot of new fans and boost merchandise-sells.
I bet Oilers would be better off with getting a 1C, 1LW/RW or 1st pairing D, prospects and picks. Thinking packages like:

Barkov
Weegar
Lundell 1st
++

Aho
Pesce
Necas
1st
++

Hintz
Heiskanen
Robertson
1st

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers should make packages:

Foegele
Kassian
Barrie
Ceci

+ 1st:s, 2nd:s etc

for young upcoming CHEAP players.

RNH, Hyman, Keith have NMC:s and are untradeable. If they choose to waive then trade them all with sweateners.

If I was to choose, I`d trade Nurse fast for anyone willing to eat that albatross-contract before it kicks in in the summer.

I also wouldconsider trading McDavid if the price was right. I`d want a 1C on a good contract, a 1st liner/1st pairing D, picks and prospects. Doubt they would do it but here are some I`d say would actually come to mind:

Carolina:

Sebastian Aho 8,5M
Brett Pesce 4M
Martin Necas 0.895M
1st 2022

Florida:

Barkov 10M/8yrs UFA 2030
Weegar 3,25M UFA 2023
Lundell 0.925 RFA 2024
1st

Theese packages could actually make Edmonton better as a team. PR is another story though.
Probably would make them a better team. Get Spencer knight thrown in and goalie problem solves for 15 years.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
You cant trade McDavid. You will never get his true value. Because of that id say to keep Drai with him as well. Dont want him becoming unhappy

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

I can understand and respect your opinion here and I agree to a point. However I really believe that McDavid and Draisaitl are the two best in league right now. As per whose most valuable to their team yes I agree a Dman who plays more minutes and all situations is under valued by fans. However in this one situation the chemistry these two have you don't risk trading one unless your getting multiple pieces including a 1D and 2C plus. I just don't see a team trading that much like before (Lindros deal) Yes they are just that valuable right now. Oilers need to give them more support I agree but they need to use picks and or assets they have besides them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad