Speculation: Is it time for Holland to step down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
people realize their is a very slim chance that when mike babcock steps down or leaves for another team their is a very slim chance we ever find another coach who has one a cup AND won two olympic gold medals for canada(not the usa or sweeden or finland but canada) and yet we all expect at some point it will happen(and some clamour for blashill now), but that IS who MIKE BABCOCK IS as a coach, that is his legacy

whats the difference here exactly?

both men are legends and have been great at their craft, it dosent mean you can never move on from them or if you do, it spells instant doom and gloom because if it does then we best hope babs resigns for another 10 years.

moving holland up within the organization still keeps him around for what he is good/great at, it may perhaps allow a new voice/a new direction to be heard/seen around the league from the head of our front office as we chart the next course in our franchises history.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
people realize their is a very slim chance that when mike babcock steps down or leaves for another team their is a very slim chance we ever find another coach who has one a cup AND won two olympic gold medals for canada(not the usa or sweeden or finland but canada) and yet we all expect at some point it will happen(and some clamour for blashill now), but that IS who MIKE BABCOCK IS as a coach, that is his legacy

whats the difference here exactly?

both men are legends and have been great at their craft, it dosent mean you can never move on from them or if you do, it spells instant doom and gloom because if it does then we best hope babs resigns for another 10 years.

moving holland up within the organization still keeps him around for what he is good/great at, it may perhaps allow a new voice/a new direction to be heard/seen around the league from the head of our front office as we chart the next course in our franchises history.

Give the team to Jeff Blashill, that's pretty much the plan for when Babcock leaves. I do not think Babcock would make a good GM though. Considering his policy toward his favorites, his zeal for size, and things of that nature.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ew. When is the last time he did anything worthwhile as a GM?

When is the last time Holland did?

I thought he did a good job not letting free agents walk for nothing. Robbed Dallas blind for James Neal and Niskanen. Thought he did well in going all in for a Cup two years ago. They had the talent to win it all, players just didn't execute.

Personally, I like what he did in Pittsburgh.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Give the team to Jeff Blashill, that's pretty much the plan for when Babcock leaves. I do not think Babcock would make a good GM though. Considering his policy toward his favorites, his zeal for size, and things of that nature.

Agreed. While Babcock is a great coach, I don't think that he would transition well into a GM role. He might be more aggressive in making moves than Holland is but I am not sure what he would do.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Holland was so good, for so long, that he thinks he can do no wrong.

Unfortunately the best replacements already left. They probably knew that Holland will leave when he is good and ready, which isn't going to be for a very long time.

Mile Ilitch or his family need to pull the plug on Holland. The damage he has done to this organization the past five years has been incredible. The worst part about Holland's mistakes, is that they were all unforced errors.

Rebuilding on the fly does not work if your core is declining. You just delay the inevitable. It's why I wanted them to go all in this season. The team is not contending without an elite 13/40.

Hire a GM who understands the pace at which the league operates today. You don't get 5+ years to execute your vision.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I thought he did a good job not letting free agents walk for nothing. Robbed Dallas blind for James Neal and Niskanen. Thought he did well in going all in for a Cup two years ago. They had the talent to win it all, players just didn't execute.

Regarding the bolded: So Shero is fine because Holland also hasn't done anything significant of note in recent years?

Also, other than the Staal trade and the Neal trade (which didn't address their best player in Crosby having no viable winger), he has been lukewarm at best.

Does he have the potential to make some trades like he did initially in Pittsburgh? Perhaps. But he took a lottery team with a glut of high-end talent and failed to make them a consistent contender. I don't see him as being a sustainable option.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Kind of ******** the poll won't let me select yes 30 to 40 more times.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

shero's drafting sucked. it was bad, really bad. they might have turned it around though.

some of those all-in moves were bad and costly like the morrow and murray trade.

MAF though he did bring in vokoun. never brought the wingers for crosby and no, dupuis and kunitz doesn't cut it.

the bottom 6 that was terrible after staal left. adams, glass (who somehow got 3 yr 1.45 mil deal from NYR).

was too loyal on bylsma.

he did some bad moves but the misses were too big.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Holland stepping down today wouldn't benefit us. Who would replace him? I don't have a problem with forcing someone to step down so long as they have a better replacement. Look at Shero getting fired from the Pens and they brought in Rutherford. Would you consider him to be an upgrade over Shero?

When there is someone on the market that is better than Holland, then I will agree its time to at least investigate it. Until then, he stays.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Regarding the bolded: So Shero is fine because Holland also hasn't done anything significant of note in recent years?

Also, other than the Staal trade and the Neal trade (which didn't address their best player in Crosby having no viable winger), he has been lukewarm at best.

Does he have the potential to make some trades like he did initially in Pittsburgh? Perhaps. But he took a lottery team with a glut of high-end talent and failed to make them a consistent contender. I don't see him as being a sustainable option.

Maybe it's just that I really want a GM with a different approach. For me, Holland is ultra-conservative, and has no direction whatsoever right now for this team.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Maybe it's just that I really want a GM with a different approach. For me, Holland is ultra-conservative, and has no direction whatsoever right now for this team.

Status quo may indeed be the right direction for this team. Keep in mind last year the team was banged up. With a healthy squad, they would have had a higher seeding for sure. The Bruins, who were considered to be the top team in the east, didn't even make it to the conference finals. The Hawks, considered to be the best in the West, didn't even make it to the cup finals.

There is part of me that wishes Holland was more active, but I don't want him trading our key pieces away. I am already pissed about him trading for Legwand last year and then not resigning him. That was a waste of a talented player that we could have used for our future.

By signing Quincey for a short term deal, he has the groundwork in place to promote the young defensemen to the NHL. I like the idea of a youth movement right now.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yes, I think he's lost the ability to do his job without bias. This team is a country club of Holland's best buds. How many players have been either re-treads from the organization or Michigan born the last few years? Quincey, Legwand, Modano, Weiss, Samuelsson, etc. All of which have turned out to be crap so far.

He never trades to get marginally better, but always swings for the fence and falls short. Remember the Brad Stuart trade? That low risk move that was huge for us? Where did that go? Now we're only in on the likes of guys like Nash, Kesler, Bouwmeester, etc. where we fall short to some other team's offer and then Detroit is left with nothing because Holland put all the eggs in one basket while other teams made smaller/marginal moves.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Does anyone else find it amusing they have yet to announce the Quincey resigning on twitter or FB? Sheahan and Mrazek were both pointed out.

edit: Ken Holland= Joe D

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Problem is your two best replacements, Nill and Yzerman, are long gone.

Who within the organization do you choose to replace him with? Devellano? Honest question.

Does have to be within the organization?

Honestly I'd rather roll the dice on someone else than see Holland pull another Legwand trade or Sammy/Cleary/Quincey signing. If we keep him, he's going to cost us our future, end of story.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
No because the guys that should have replaced him are now GMs of other teams. I'd say wait for Yzerman's contract to be up and then "advise" Holland to move up into a higher role, whatever that means.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
No because the guys that should have replaced him are now GMs of other teams. I'd say wait for Yzerman's contract to be up and then "advise" Holland to move up into a higher role, whatever that means.

Steve just signed a 4 year extension and will be there through 2018-19. I shudder to think how much damage Holland would do in that time.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
More recently than Holland has.

I don't think anyone likes everything their GM does in a span of 7+ years. And I certainly didn't like everything Shero did. But he's got far more tricks up his sleeve than Holland does.

He did a good job getting a team (that had a lot of high draft picks) up and into the spotlight, but after his cup win the team failed to reach the level of contender again.

I'm not sure why my criticism of Shero has to be met with "Well he is better than Holland." Are we really so desperate we are going to lower our standards?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Steve just signed a 4 year extension and will be there through 2018-19. I shudder to think how much damage Holland would do in that time.

Well there goes that plan...

Make Draper the GM? Maybe he can go bargain shopping and find us a quality player for $1?

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
The only way I see Yzerman consider coming back is if he wins a Cup in TB in his next four years. I think he loves the area but don't think he will ever be GM here, regardless of what happens the next few years in Tampa.

Nill is gone for good. He took a long time to leave the AGM role here and obviously didn't make the Dallas decision without a long term plan to stay. The moves he's made only make that clearer.

I think Fischer is our best potential replacement, but apparently he was being considered in coaching roles. Maybe it's Cleary's job to lose.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
too be fair, if the criticsm for shero is he inherited a team of lottery picks then shouldnt we say during that exact same time period holland got to have a team filled with lidstrom, datsuyuk, zetterberg and kronwall?

souldnt we exclude both mens starting points and only look at what they did from day one of sheros tenure onward vs hollands work from that exact day onward and exclude any and all players who came before then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad