Is it a stretch to consider Mark Giordano a top 10 Dman if he manages to hit 50+ points this season?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Tj Brodie has been the biggest over the last little while

Brodie is a good 2-3 when used properly. Gulutzan’s failure to use him on the right side for two years despite him being garbage on the left is really showing now.

Night and day between the past two seasons and now but yeah I was never on that “4 number 1 defensemen” train and I think most rational people weren’t either

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
The narrative that the Flames had one of the best d’s in the league over the last several years was nauseating indeed. The numbers just didn’t bear that out.

Having said that Brodie has really turned his game around this year after being just awful for the last couple.

Hardly a coincidence the resurgence comes playing g with Giordano.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s playing some of the best hockey of his career right now.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Old thread. At the time it was started I would have said no. Top 15 likely but not top 10. Right now he’s making a case for the Norris.

It’s not just his stats - look at his partners the last couple of years. Hamilton looked like a superstar beside Giordano. In Carolina now he looks pretty mediocre at best.

Brodie looked awful away from Giordano last year. With Giordano this year he’s one of the league leaders in +/-.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The narrative that the Flames had one of the best d’s in the league over the last several years was nauseating indeed. The numbers just didn’t bear that out.

Having said that Brodie has really turned his game around this year after being just awful for the last couple.

Hardly a coincidence the resurgence comes playing g with Giordano.

He had an awful stretch last season and was overall below average, but his 2016-2017 season was alright. In fact Brodie had better suppression metrics than everyone on the Flame that season for most of the season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie is a good 2-3 when used properly. Gulutzan’s failure to use him on the right side for two years despite him being garbage on the left is really showing now.

Night and day between the past two seasons and now but yeah I was never on that “4 number 1 defensemen” train and I think most rational people weren’t either

Brodie is absolutely a 2D. Name 62 Dman better than Brodie. If Brodie has a big jump in offense I'd put him as a lower end 1D at the end of the season, 2 subpar to bad seasons during the Gulutzan era doesn't disprove that Brodie was a legit 1D from 2013-2014 to 2015-2016.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
3rd in overall points for Dmen. Second in ppg. Leads the league in plus/minus. Defensive monster.

I'd say that he might be in the conversation.

Last edited:

driveway

Feb 13, 2007
[mod]

October 6, 2016 - Giordano is the 2nd best defensman in the league, by the numbers.

October 2, 2017 - Giordano is the 5th best defenseman, averaged over the previous three seasons.

October 6, 2018 - Giordano is the 4th best defenseman, averaged over the previous three seasons.

Doughty, Karlsson, Subban and, when he's at his best, Hedman, are the only defensemen in the league in the same class as Giordano and it's been that way for years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
So, he’s way better than Karlsson by every objective metric. And almost everyone else on your list. But hey, everyone’s got opinions, man.
This is a bumped thread dude I wrote that before the season.

I still think Karlsson is the best defenceman in the league (and I'm sorry, but the stats do back that up) but I've posted here plenty that Giordano deserves the Norris this season.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
There is literally nobody in the league that I would rather have as our Captain. From the moment I first said "damn this Giordano guy is good" to my Dad many years ago, he has consistently impressed and improved. The fact he is 35+ and still improving is unbelievable considering the current climate of the NHL and the average player starting to lose their stride much earlier. I am a proud Gio fanboy and will be until he retires.

Reactions: Sk8M8

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Mark Giordano since 2013-2014 has been an elite defensive player. His suppression and goal prevention relative stats are off the roof amazing. This is while he takes some of the most difficult competition along with more relative Dzone starts in the league (On a team that has been hindered more times in the Dzone than in the Ozone for most of those seasons to present). Pretty much everyone that plays with Giordano looks far better than without Giordano (Exception being small sample size Brodie with Kris Russell during the Hartley era).

Offensively even though 50+ points is a big jump from the high 30s he's produced in the Gulutzan era, Giordano produced at a 60 point pace from 2013-2014 to 2015-2016, all while having elite defensive metrics. Giordano was better than Karlsson for a portion of the 2014-2015 season. He produced at an 18 goal pace as well.

I for one don't think it's a stretch to consider Giordano a top 10 Dman if he manages to score at least 15 goals and 50 points in the 2018-2019 season.

Bumping thread to say good call OP. Gets my Norris vote this year.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Giordano will never be a top 10 dman in the league anymore. He is still a very good and effective dman... and at one time was a top 10 or very close to it. Those days are behind him.

Again, don't get me wrong... he's a very good dman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

You must feel silly now hey

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Giordano will never be a top 10 dman in the league anymore. He is still a very good and effective dman... and at one time was a top 10 or very close to it. Those days are behind him.

Again, don't get me wrong... he's a very good dman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

You should return your crystal ball for a refund.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He should win the Norris. No doubt in my
mind. This would be his 2nd one if he didn’t get hurt in 14-15.

Not bad for a guy that looks like Henchman #5 in every movie about the Russian mob.

Reactions: Steven and DropIt

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Reactions: Tall Morty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad