Is it a stretch to consider Mark Giordano a top 10 Dman if he manages to hit 50+ points this season?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Giordano is very easily one of the most underrated players in the game, let alone D-men.

His defense the among the very elite of the elite and his offense is superb and should return to 45+ point form at minimum this season.

Yep.

Dude is elite shutdown. Elite possession. Grade A skater and gives you points. Everything you want in your 1D he’s got it.

People saying no, don’t follow Gio. Plus being an absolute beauty off the ice too.

Reactions: CF84

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
For sure one of the most underrated players in the league. A rock on the back end for so many years. One of those great stories too. From being undrafted to being a top end defenseman and captain in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
why would he suddenly have a point spike at the age of 35?

I mean it's not impossible but if anything we should be asking where he ranks if he becomes a 20 point guy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
why would he suddenly have a point spike at the age of 35?

I mean it's not impossible but if anything we should be asking where he ranks if he becomes a 20 point guy

Common thought amongst flames fans was that he neutered his offense to cover for Hamilton. Now that hes with Brodie hes allowed to pinch and forecheck. If he did either of those things with Hamilton he would get screwed.

Obviously it's still preseason but he looks so much better away from Hamilton.

I think hes already top 15 with 35 to 40 points. If he gets 50 points easily top 10.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He's been Norris caliber the past 4 years. When Hamilton was traded he was getting a ton of love for being underrated, but Gio was the player that allowed Hamilton to flourish offensively. Gio is a beast.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Does it matter if he's a top 10 or not?

He is worth every cent he makes. Top 10 is so debatable it's pointless really.

Hopefully he can keep playing at a high rate till the end of his contract.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
At this very moment you can make a good case for being around 10th. Definitely top 15 right now. Given that he no longer has to be constantly covering for Hamilton, his offensive numbers will look better and more people might rank him higher even if he doesn't actually get better.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Looking at the Flames roster, their whole left side looks exploitable.
I think Gaudreau is a bit underrated defensively since he can take a pass at speed well for breakouts.
Tkachuk, Dube and Bennet down the left side though... I think Gio will have to cover a lot of ice, especially since Hanafin is new, and it takes time with a new team and system. It helps though that they have Peters.

I think Gio is going to need to bail out his wingers.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think Gaudreau is a bit underrated defensively since he can take a pass at speed well for breakouts.
Tkachuk, Dube and Bennet down the left side though... I think Gio will have to cover a lot of ice, especially since Hanafin is new, and it takes time with a new team and system. It helps though that they have Peters.

Hate to defend anything Calgary but the new system will not really be new for Hanifin as hes getting the same coach he had in Carolina.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Kinda a weird thought. Tkachuk is probably only second to Backlund in defensive ability for forwards. Bennett is up there as well, he's solid defensively aside from careless penalties. Dube is an unknown, otherwise I'd say Gaudreau is the weak link but all around it's better than last year. We started last year with Lazar and Versteeg on the left side.

So really comes down to Dube but I haven't seen or heard any concerns. Should help Gio by not having a bottom 6 getting shelled every game.

Side note, but looks like Gio is on the first PP unit. Projected points will definitely increase if that's the case.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If it's a stretch, it's a small one. He made Brodie look like a top defenseman. He made Hamilton look like a top defenseman. And this year, he'll make Brodie look like a top defenseman again.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's a borderline top 10 as it is, so if he does that he will likely be one of the 10 best this year. Really underrated defenseman. I don't understand the people saying he's past his prime. His peak maybe but not his prime. It reminds me of people saying Getzlaf was past his prime this year. I'm not sure they're even paying attention to anything outside of looking at point totals on NHL.com

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Are you insinuating that Bennett and Tkachuk are poor defensively?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Are you insinuating that Bennett and Tkachuk are poor defensively?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
There is no defenseman that I would trust more than Mark Giordano for any situation. Both offensive and defensive situations, in the locker room, off ice mentoring and occasions for charities and etc. Giordano is one of the best leaders and captains in the game.

Regardless of where people rank him, he’s a true #1 defenseman who can do it all and I think he’ll be even better now that he doesn’t have to sacrifice so much offensively to protect the house when paired with Dougie.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
As an Oilers fan, Gio is a big reason why I hate playing the Flames. He's already top-10 in my opinion, but I'm biased. And, we all bias our rank of defensemen by points, when it's their job to defend, not score.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Its difficult to say.

There is a top 3 for me in Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson. Then there's this list... (not in any specific order)

Carlsson
Letang
Provorov
Jones
Hamilton
Subban
Josi
Trouba
Pietrangelo
Klingberg
Burns
Vlasic
Giordano
Ekblad
Lindholm

That's a group of 15 (and some may argue that others belong on this list) that he would have to finish top 7 in. I think if you told me that I could pick any one of those players to help me win the cup this year, and I had to rank which order I'd take them in, I don't know if he makes it in that top 7.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Its difficult to say.

There is a top 3 for me in Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson. Then there's this list... (not in any specific order)

Carlsson
Letang
Provorov
Jones
Hamilton
Subban
Josi
Trouba
Pietrangelo
Klingberg
Burns
Vlasic
Giordano
Ekblad
Lindholm

That's a group of 15 (and some may argue that others belong on this list) that he would have to finish top 7 in. I think if you told me that I could pick any one of those players to help me win the cup this year, and I had to rank which order I'd take them in, I don't know if he makes it in that top 7.

Ekblad doesn't belong anywhere near this group especially considering you forgot Slavin and Suter in the mix. OEL is still better than Ekblad so is Letang. Carlson had one year where he got PP inflated points. Face it Carlson isn't good defensively and even offensively gets a ton of support from his team mates. Vlasic used to have a case in the top 15 but he's no longer the best defensive Dman and has never been that effective offensively.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ekblad doesn't belong anywhere near this group especially considering you forgot Slavin and Suter in the mix. OEL is still better than Ekblad so is Letang. Carlson had one year where he got PP inflated points. Face it Carlson isn't good defensively and even offensively gets a ton of support from his team mates. Vlasic used to have a case in the top 15 but he's no longer the best defensive Dman and has never been that effective offensively.

Like I said. I'm sure I missed some names. Just wanted to make a quick point at the end of a long day .

Ekblad I feel might prove me right this season but we'll see

Regardless I think having Gio in the 11-20 range is more realistic than top 10.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Not surprised an Oiler fan doesn't know an elite Dman when he sees one.

Flames fans overrate his defensive ability by a lot. Same way they sell Backlund as Selke calibre.

For a team that supposedly has a stacked defence and a selke calibre center they are below average in goals against every season.

In the past they blamed goaltending but last year Smith gave the team an allstar performance through the first few months of the year and the Flames still weren't that great defensively.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Flames fans overrate his defensive ability by a lot. Same way they sell Backlund as Selke calibre.

For a team that supposedly has a stacked defence and a selke calibre center they are below average in goals against every season.

In the past they blamed goaltending but last year Smith gave the team an allstar performance through the first few months of the year and the Flames still weren't that great defensively.

We were top 10 in GA last season until Smith got injured, so yeah not sure where you're getting that part from.

Giordano's defensive ability isn't overstated at all, he's not top 3 in the league good, but he is most certainly top 5-top 10. Every single pairing Giordano has been on has been one of the best in hockey since 2013 (He was with Brodie until 2016, where your own Mark Spector compared them to Keith and Seabrook How Giordano, Brodie provide championship calibre defence - Sportsnet.ca). And when he was with Hamilton they were the best pairing in hockey, according to statistics and the eye test (https://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-and-giordano-are-the-best-pairing-in-hockey-1.704373). And last season they were phenomenal as well, dragged down by one of the worst systems and man-management coaches I've ever seen in Glen Gulutzan. (Giordano and Hamilton head and shoulders above the rest). Brodie's torpedo in quality of play directly correlated with his removal from the Brodano pairing, and I expect him to play back to his pre-Gultuzan era talents this season.

Giordano had two norris calibre season in 13-14 and 14-15, and if he stays healthy, I wouldn't have been surprised if he won back to back.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
giphy.gif

Yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->