Is Griffin Reinhart the Slowest Defenseman in the AHL?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I've been saying this for awhile. Obviously NYI saw it too. Edmonton got hosed on that trade. Could have had Barzal/Connor/Chabot and Stephens/Dermott/Aho/Carlo (just for instance) man did they blow it.

They wouldn't have taken Barzal. Those who think they WOULD have taken him are delusional because we had McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH already in those spots, and now Caggiula coming out, we have enough center depth. The other prospects, maybe, but definitely not Barzal.

That being said, I don't care what we could have got with them. What's done is done. Let's please bury the WHAT IF crap. Talk about the player. Not the trade.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They wouldn't have taken Barzal. Those who think they WOULD have taken him are delusional because we had McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH already in those spots, and now Caggiula coming out, we have enough center depth. The other prospects, maybe, but definitely not Barzal.

That being said, I don't care what we could have got with them. What's done is done. Let's please bury the WHAT IF crap. Talk about the player. Not the trade.

Give me an entire team of centers at forward. You can always put a C at the Wing but you can't always put a Wing at C. Barzal could easily play RW with his vision. Not only that but Connor played C in Youngstown and is at LW now and looking mighty fine.

Unfortunately talking about any player always includes the what if's and all trades associated with them. You can't just live those down because you don't want to hear about it them. That trade along with the Hall trade will be a part of Chiarelli's legacy in Edmonton. So far one of them is looking pretty damn terrible.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I remember laughing when the ducks took him that high. It's funny how things worked out.

The isles should have picked 1 of Forsberg Rielly or Lindholm

Yeah, but its easy to draft in hindsight. Lindholm was a big reach, and you have to give major credit to Anaheim for taking him.

Funny thing is I'm pretty happy with how the draft turned out. I would rather have Barzal + high second than most of the players that were drafted early in 2012 (Forsberg and Lindholm being exceptions, possibly Trouba and Rielly).

Snow should be criticized for the pick, but he gets credit for correcting a mistake there rather than sitting on a prospect that isn't working out.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, but its easy to draft in hindsight. Lindholm was a big reach, and you have to give major credit to Anaheim for taking him.

Funny thing is I'm pretty happy with how the draft turned out. I would rather have Barzal + high second than most of the players that were drafted early in 2012 (Forsberg and Lindholm being exceptions, possibly Trouba and Rielly).

Snow should be criticized for the pick, but he gets credit for correcting a mistake there rather than sitting on a prospect that isn't working out.

You rather Barzal and a high 2nd than a top pairing D? Even in terms of value Trouba and Rielly both can return more than that in a trade...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Petrecki wasn't slow. He was all tools/no toolbox. Plus wasn't a top 5 pick and was SJ's 2nd 1st round pick that year. The other one has worked out pretty well though.

(I know he wasn't picked in the first round) but I think a better example among Sharks prospects is Taylor Doherty.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
You rather Barzal and a high 2nd than a top pairing D? Even in terms of value Trouba and Rielly both can return more than that in a trade...

I'm not certain either is a top-pair defenseman at this point. I think both have been second-pair defenseman that have potential to be top-pair. Don't get me wrong, would be ecstatic if the Isles could add Trouba (they can't, cap-wise, but hey, you can dream).

And I am really high on Barzal. Even before the Isles drafted him I liked him, thought he should have been a top-10 pick.

But, I didn't say I would take Barzal and a 2nd over Trouba or Rielly. Honestly, I haven't seen either of them enough to say for sure.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

Tough call. We draft one of Trouba or Reilly and maybe we have one of them playing for us now and not both Leddy/Boychuk. Leddy's better than both of them right now and Boychuk was huge for us the first year (and yes, that contract is going to bite us).

Probably better to have Barzal/2nd/Leddy/Boychuk than one of Reilly/Trouba + ????

On Reinhart. It is is a shame that he isn't looking very good right now. Seemed like it was a reach to draft him at 4 but the pedigree, subsequent leading his team to the Memorial Cup, etc...seemed like he'd become an excellent 2nd pairing dman

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Give me an entire team of centers at forward. You can always put a C at the Wing but you can't always put a Wing at C. Barzal could easily play RW with his vision. Not only that but Connor played C in Youngstown and is at LW now and looking mighty fine.

Unfortunately talking about any player always includes the what if's and all trades associated with them. You can't just live those down because you don't want to hear about it them. That trade along with the Hall trade will be a part of Chiarelli's legacy in Edmonton. So far one of them is looking pretty damn terrible.

Not at all. Your the one who wants to talk about it. A lot of people want to talk about the player. Besides, does this thread say Reinhart Trade? Nope. So stop bringing it up. Or is this driving the thread into another topic because there is an infraction for diverting a topic.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not at all. Your the one who wants to talk about it. A lot of people want to talk about the player. Besides, does this thread say Reinhart Trade? Nope. So stop bringing it up. Or is this driving the thread into another topic because there is an infraction for diverting a topic.

You seem to be angry that you guys lost that trade. Either way I've always said Reinhart was a terrible skater and a likely AHL lifer. Laughed so hard when some offered to trade him for Trouba. He just doesn't have the ability to play at the NHL level. I don't think he ever gets there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There are Cs whose game suffers if they're put on the wing. Derick Brassard was an excellent example of same while he was here in Columbus; he may still be such.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There are Cs whose game suffers if they're put on the wing. Derick Brassard was an excellent example of same while he was here in Columbus; he may still be such.

This is true some guys are more natural centers. But I think even a center is worth more than a guy with equal talents that plays wing. And a center that can play a wing is worth even more than that when all things are equal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Just replace Barzal with Konecny, and it's still just as bad.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You seem to be angry that you guys lost that trade. Either way I've always said Reinhart was a terrible skater and a likely AHL lifer. Laughed so hard when some offered to trade him for Trouba. He just doesn't have the ability to play at the NHL level. I don't think he ever gets there.

I'm angry about a trade? I'm more angry people like you bring it up in a topic that has NOTHING TO DO WITH A TRADE. I'm not gonna look at the trade anymore just like you shouldn't be talking about it in here. Start a new thread if you wanna talk about the trade.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Sedins were thought of the prize of the draft, but everyone knew they weren't going to report unless both went to the same team. They should have went 1/2, but they obviously didn't.

People were high on Lindholm, but it's not even like he was the best European skater available.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Sedins were thought of the prize of the draft, but everyone knew they weren't going to report unless both went to the same team. They should have went 1/2, but they obviously didn't.

People were high on Lindholm, but it's not even like he was the best European skater available.

That's a made up rumour, they said they'd like to end up together but they also said they don't need to be on the same team and it would be an honour to be drafted by any team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm angry about a trade? I'm more angry people like you bring it up in a topic that has NOTHING TO DO WITH A TRADE. I'm not gonna look at the trade anymore just like you shouldn't be talking about it in here. Start a new thread if you wanna talk about the trade.

:popcorn:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lol the Islanders got Barzal for this guy

I wanted the leafs to trade up n take him so bad

Quite the move by Snow. Recognized a weak player, a weak GM and a solid player still available and made maybe one of the better moves of that draft. And managed to get a 2nd rounder out of the deal as well.
Reinhart's issues will be hard to correct now. He's getting into that crunch time for guys where things like skating are much harder to improve on relative to peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad