Is Griffin Reinhart the Slowest Defenseman in the AHL?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

mPycxfB.gif

bDEQjzX.gif

z0RzcW8.gif

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Mvp ^ for waiting until post 26.

First gif is ridiculous. Backing up on centre ice and still gives a clear breakaway

#62 is a 4th rd pick with 20 pts in 66 ahl games. Not Larkin or Athanasiou

Also I don't remember Girardi being this slow

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Those 3 plays are identical and he doesn't even overcompensate because he knows he's slow that's the best part. He just lets himself get beat outside. Eventually you think he'd be like **** you're not gonna beat me wide and get beat inside or something. His skating is abysmal its like a moose on skates out there

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wanna say those gifs are more about bad positioning/angling rather than being slow since the rest of his teammates are kinda just chilling at the same speed as he is.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He was an awkward, lanky kid in the Dub but apparently he's just going to be a slightly awkward person in general. I don't understand how him and Sam are siblings. He looks like he is going to fall if he tries moving any faster.

I'll admit I thought he was going to be much more of a shutdown top-4 guy when he was in junior. Not looking promising.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
He's not good. He'll be fortunate to carve out a luke schenn kind of career

We got lucky (for once) that that deal happened and we ended up with Barzal. It very much reminds me of the time when MM passed on Parise and the Devils jumped up to get him. I hope Barzal can be 3/4 the player Parise is/was.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Don't draft physical defensive dmen with non elite skating and puck moving abilities with high picks. At best you end up with a Gudbranson, but often end up with Luke Schenn.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
How did this guy make it this far not being able to skate backwards? Man, wish the isles kept him.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Don't draft physical defensive dmen with non elite skating and puck moving abilities with high picks. At best you end up with a Gudbranson, but often end up with Luke Schenn.

Gudbranson and Luke Schenn are the same level of **** lol.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In those specific gifs, it looks less like the problem is speed (he's obviously very slow still). The more concerning issue is how poorly he was reading the play in front of him. He just consistently misjudged the speed of the attacking forward and lacks the agility to adjust quickly. With his footspeed he needs to be the best dman on the ice at reading the speed of the attack. Larsson isn't the fleetest of foot but his gap control and timing are other worldly, so he's tough to beat.

He needs to engage his legs a bit more and get up to speed before the attack reaches the blue line. I know he can skate faster than we saw in those gifs. Hell, I can.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In those specific gifs, it looks less like the problem is speed (he's obviously very slow still). The more concerning issue is how poorly he was reading the play in front of him. He just consistently misjudged the speed of the attacking forward and lacks the agility to adjust quickly. With his footspeed he needs to be the best dman on the ice at reading the speed of the attack. Larsson isn't the fleetest of foot but his gap control and timing are other worldly, so he's tough to beat.

He needs to engage his legs a bit more and get up to speed before the attack reaches the blue line. I know he can skate faster than we saw in those gifs. Hell, I can.

Good observation, I think so too. Its not as if he's going flat out and getting beat, he almost brings himself to a standstill watching the play and then doesn't have the acceleration to compensate as the guy goes around. Every time its like his feet stop moving as the forward approaches.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Dorsett trying that move made me scratch my head. Only in preseason.

Dorsett makes me scratch my head everytime he's on the ice :laugh:

Seriously though, those gifs aren't that bad. It's not like he was going slow in any of them. He just kind of is terrible at defending and his positioning/angling is horrendous.

It's the exact same issue Hutton had last year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gudbranson and Luke Schenn are the same level of **** lol.

Lol, not quite. But that still supports the point of don't draft defensive dmen with high picks!

Reinhart, Ellerby, Cowen, McIlrath, etc as some of the other examples of dmen drafted top 10 with limited offensive ability.

Those picks neither have a high ceiling nor a safe floor. Just seems to be GMs obsessed with size over skating/skill.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Well the good news is as iffy as our defence is we still have enough guys better than him to put him in the AHL.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Lol, not quite. But that still supports the point of don't draft defensive dmen with high picks!

Reinhart, Ellerby, Cowen, McIlrath, etc as some of the other examples of dmen drafted top 10 with limited offensive ability.

Those picks neither have a high ceiling nor a safe floor. Just seems to be GMs obsessed with size over skating/skill.

Mcilrath has the highest cieling of them all. Reinhart is a terrible hockey player. The guy cant skate.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

That's why this draft was so surprising. TSN was casually saying Islanders want Reinhart like it was a done deal and I just wondered why? I'm glad we got Rielly next but they could have picked Lindholm, Rielly, Trouba or Dumba and still be so much better off.

Luke Schenn turned me off to all defensive D men picked high. That's just a fancy word for a player that isn't versatile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad