Is Giroux's Captaincy the Problem?

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
EDIT: ITL;DR -- the question really boils down to whether Giroux has been a bad captain, and is therefore partly responsible for our failures over the last few years. If you read on, I'm by no means saying he's the only problem, or that any of this is really his fault. I would really like to see someone argue for why he is a good captain (not meant to be combative, I'm genuinely curious, because I think saying "others are to blame" -- which I agree with -- does not mean he is not also partly to blame).

When you see a team like ours that consistently plays with such little hunger, you have to wonder whether the team lacks leadership. No doubt the coach is part of that leadership, and I think it's safe to say Hakstol was a failure. But a good captain should still get his team to show even a glimmer of heart. And he has not.

Let me start of by saying I don't think Giroux is the only problem we have, and there's a lot of blame to go around. I also want to say I have no problem with Giroux as a player, and have never wanted the Flyers to get rid of him. He's undoubtedly one of the best offensive players over the last ten years and nothing I'm saying here is meant to undercut those accomplishments.

But I think he has been a bad captain, and obviously no one really knows this, but I can't help but wonder if he isn't much of a leader in the locker room. And I think that in our appreciation of how great he has been as a player, we as fans have let him and the organization get away with how bad of a captain he's been. We have not won a single playoff series since he's worn the C. We haven't finished above 3rd in the division, and on average we've fallen between 4-5th, with three seasons in 6th. On the whole, I think we would agree that most of these seasons fell short of expectations and that we underperformed based on our roster. At what point do we question Giroux's role in this **** chapter in Flyers history?

No doubt there were other factors -- on a macro-scale, the consequences of Holmgren's bet the house policies took their toll and the replacement GM de-prioritized being competitive in the short term (leading to micro-scale problems like poor goaltending and rostering developing youths rather than veteran mercenaries, which we didn't used to do).

But no matter how you cut it, Giroux has not been a good enough leader to make this team overcome the challenges it faced (which he did not cause), or even win a single playoff series. In fact, we have won just 7 playoff games in 5 seasons with him as captain, and in the last two series we played -- 12 games -- Giroux scored just one goal and 4 points, which is pretty god-awful even accounting for good defenses game-planning around him as a result of our poor depth.

My sense is the organization did him a disservice by placing this burden on him. I felt at the time that we were drumming up the old Cold War with Pittsburgh by naming our star center captain just like their Crosby. (Sidebar, but ever wonder why we were always so good against Pittsburgh even when we sucked against everyone else? It's because we built our team to beat Pittsburgh specifically, because for years they were the only other threat in our division and the fanbase hated them so damn much. You can still see it: even as we've declined, the remnants of that system still allow us to inexplicably beat them more than you'd think we should). He was young (just 25) and he wasn't ready for it. They did the same thing with Richards and while I've still got nothing but love for him, his career in Philly (and in general) ended in a complete trainwreck.

Your captain doesn't have to be your best player (think Primeau, Desjardins, Hatcher) and Giroux never should have been captain. He's partly to blame for the lazy beer league performance we've watched for the last 5 years, and so is the organization that forced him into that role to begin with.

Food for thought, but I hope Vigneault strips him of the C and relieves him of this burden, when he's already carrying the weight of this offense on his shoulders.

Last edited:

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
Please make sure you understand I don't think he's the only problem. I just think that he deserves criticism and that fan criticism of him as captain would be good for the organization (and Giroux).

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011

Hakstol sucks man, and he's undoubtedly partly responsible for this team's consistent lackluster efforts. But that doesn't mean Giroux has done nothing wrong or that he shouldn't be criticized, and we are losing sight of that reality. He has avoided criticism this whole time because he is a great offensive player and there are other obvious problems, but he should be held accountable -- for his own sake and for the sake of the organization. It takes nothing away from him as a player to accept that. He is a franchise player and I am proud that he's a Flyer. But no one has said anything about why he is a good captain, and I think that's because we as a fan base haven't really engaged with the question, which hurts everyone.

All I want is someone to explain to me (for my own edification) why you think he is a good captain.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
tenor.gif

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I don't know how you can objectively watch the Flyers these past 5 or so seasons and come to the conclusion that Giroux is a bad captain. If anything he's been an excellent leader for enduring this disservice the franchise has put him through. He never complains or makes excuses

A lot of these so called great historic leaders have always had a great supporting cast and staff behind them. Can you say the same for Giroux?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No.

It's not Giroux, it wasn't Hakstol.

IT WAS A LACK OF TALENT.

Geez, I've read complaint after complaint about so many Flyer players the last five years, and it's not like VdV or MacDonald were blocking anyone (Luby, Leier, Manning . . .).
I mean we had players like MDZ as our top defensemen.
Hextall started rebuilding this team in the summer of 2014 with almost nothing in the talent pipeline (try putting together a top ten list from June 2014 before the draft). It's taken five years to where we won't have to field a half dozen scrubs next season.

Giroux is not a fire and brimstone leader, he's "I'll out work you and shame you into playing hard" kind of guy.
Now I'd want to match him with more demonstrative alternatives, Simmonds was one for a while.
But blaming him for this team's troubles is crazy land.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hakstol sucks man, and he's undoubtedly partly responsible for this team's consistent lackluster efforts. But that doesn't mean Giroux has done nothing wrong or that he shouldn't be criticized, and we are losing sight of that reality. He has avoided criticism this whole time because he is a great offensive player and there are other obvious problems, but he should be held accountable -- for his own sake and for the sake of the organization. It takes nothing away from him as a player to accept that. He is a franchise player and I am proud that he's a Flyer. But no one has said anything about why he is a good captain, and I think that's because we as a fan base haven't really engaged with the question, which hurts everyone.

All I want is someone to explain to me (for my own edification) why you think he is a good captain.

I want you to explain how he can be held accountable for not having much in the way of support. Is he supposed to be accountable for making Neuvirth not be made of glass? Any of the goalies to actually be able to win a game? Is he supposed to play top line and bottom 6 minutes to triple shift as well?

Was Shane Doan a bad captain?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The captain role is such an antiquated concept as it is. We have a captain and two alternates, one of which barely can tell his own ass from a hole in the ground - who most of us are convinced only wears the A because by all accounts has always had a good attitude in the face of the constant verbal abuse he gets from fans. and then we always hear about 'leadership groups' and such. Last year the Kings traded for Dion Phaneuf because a team that had won 2 Stanley Cups with generally the same core group thought they didn't have enough experience, so they got a player who to that point had never seen the second round before the previous season.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
I want you to explain how he can be held accountable for not having much in the way of support. Is he supposed to be accountable for making Neuvirth not be made of glass? Any of the goalies to actually be able to win a game? Is he supposed to play top line and bottom 6 minutes to triple shift as well?

Was Shane Doan a bad captain?

Believe me, I'm not saying he's the only problem. These teams were the definition of mediocrity, but if anything we under-performed.

Outside of his offensive production, what makes us think he's a good captain? Obviously we don't know what's going on in the locker room, but I don't think I've heard a good reason to think he's a positive leadership figure. Pointing out other reasons for our mediocrity, while true, doesn't answer the question, and neither does saying he produces a ton of our offense, which he does. I'm not here to debate his offensive abilities.

This team is undisciplined and it shows. Not necessarily penalty-wise, but I get the impression the guys on this team **** off a lot. It certainly looks that way when you watch them play. They don't give a hoot about winning, and only seem to pull it together when they're on the verge of elimination and there are zero expectations. To me, that says this team is more talented than the record shows, and that they are not being motivated properly. And while that blame has (rightly) fallen on the coach, our captain should not escape criticism like he has for the last five years.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I thought the guy running behind #33 was about to destroy him with a hit or something... I didn’t even pay attention to the first pitch lol.

Nah he just terribly missed it. He unfortunately worked as a producer for the biggest radio show in the country & got his balls broken for an entire show that Monday.

Reactions: CapnZin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4