Is Getzlaf getting away with too much?

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Getzlaf was a little extra spicy last night, but overall he's a clean player that plays hard and physical. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't watch him often enough, and is just sour at how damn good he is.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. I love Getzlaf, one of my favourite players, but even I can see that the refs are scared to call him for something. He has that I'm to cool everyone wants to be my friend type of attitude. You know when your a teenager and there is the cocky guy that runs his mouth all the time and all the little minions follow him around thinking he's cool. Well that is Getzlaf and the refs are the minions. Watch closely and you shall see. All the head shaking, dirty looks and mouthing off he gives to the refs. Ya ya laugh all you want but it's true. I've seen it many many times during my hockey "career."

Jul 22, 2012
This couldn't be farther from the truth. I love Getzlaf, one of my favourite players, but even I can see that the refs are scared to call him for something. He has that I'm to cool everyone wants to be my friend type of attitude. You know when your a teenager and there is the cocky guy that runs his mouth all the time and all the little minions follow him around thinking he's cool. Well that is Getzlaf and the refs are the minions. Watch closely and you shall see. All the head shaking, dirty looks and mouthing off he gives to the refs. Ya ya laugh all you want but it's true. I've seen it many many times during my hockey "career."

Complete nonsense.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Complete nonsense.

Really? I played with Getzlaf and it's true. Watch when he talks to the refs. He kisses there *** a little then gets discussing calls. When the ref says something he doesn't like he gives the no way dirty look. He plays it very well and did even when I played with him. I wouldn't expect an Anaheim fan to agree but the precious Ducks have been riding some very favourable calls/non calls these playoffs.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
It seems to me the two fan bases upset the most are Calgary and Edmonton. Coincidentally both these teams haven't experienced playoff hockey in recent years with the exception of Calgary two years ago. I'll give the fans and players and pass on this one. Apparently they still have lots to learn.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It seems to me the fan bases upset the most are anyone that plays the Ducks. Coincidentally both these teams haven't experienced playoff hockey in recent years with the exception of Calgary two years ago. I'll give the fans and players and pass on this one. Apparently they still have lots to learn.

Its weird how many fans of that team are trying to portray the Ducks as innocents.

Easily the cheapest team in the playoffs.

Oct 18, 2011
Really? I played with Getzlaf and it's true. Watch when he talks to the refs. He kisses there *** a little then gets discussing calls. When the ref says something he doesn't like he gives the no way dirty look. He plays it very well and did even when I played with him. I wouldn't expect an Anaheim fan to agree but the precious Ducks have been riding some very favourable calls/non calls these playoffs.

The precious ducks are the most penalized team in the league over the last decade plus.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

So do a majority of players in the NHL...

effeffeight

Dec 1, 2016

plenty of captains do **** like you're describing. with 7 posts and a join date of this month I'm not inclined to believe you saying you played with him, let alone played with him at a time relevant to where he's at at this point in his career. lmao.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Today I saw Crosby get away with multiple cross checks and slashes to Karlsson and I didn't see a thread about it... So I think Getzlaf is just being hated on for the same things other players do. /thread.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Getzlaf is one of the most skilled players in the league. He also happens to be one of the meanest and more physical players in the league. Add it all up and he's the closest thing we've seen to Lindros

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
plenty of captains do **** like you're describing. with 7 posts and a join date of this month I'm not inclined to believe you saying you played with him, let alone played with him at a time relevant to where he's at at this point in his career. lmao.

So 7 posts means I didn't play with him?? Sounds about right. Yes I did play with him, not that it matters. But you are right about one thing, I didn't play with him anytime recently.

He's played the game relatively the same way his entire career. I'm not even trashing the guy. I love him, he is great! Im just not going to pretend that he hasn't been getting away with anything. I've seen lots go uncalled, in every single game I've watched. But everytime I watch the Ducks Getz is cross checking, slashing, interfering, and punching people in the chops only to go unpenalized.

And if it matters, I was cheering for Anaheim in round 1 and also round 3. Was impartial in round 2.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
So 7 posts means I didn't play with him?? Sounds about right. Yes I did play with him, not that it matters. But you are right about one thing, I didn't play with him anytime recently.

He's played the game relatively the same way his entire career. I'm not even trashing the guy. I love him, he is great! Im just not going to pretend that he hasn't been getting away with anything. I've seen lots go uncalled, in every single game I've watched. But everytime I watch the Ducks Getz is cross checking, slashing, interfering, and punching people in the chops only to go unpenalized.

And if it matters, I was cheering for Anaheim in round 1 and also round 3. Was impartial in round 2.

What are we talking? Midget hockey? Yeah, I bet the refs were afraid to discipline him to because, ya know, it's Getzlaf, right? :laugh:

There is literally no point in saying that you have had significant contact with a player unless you have a way to actually prove it. No reasonable person is going to believe these sorts of claims from someone who just pops up out of the blue on a new account.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Its weird how many fans of that team are trying to portray the Ducks as innocents.

Easily the cheapest team in the playoffs.
Pens and Toronto fans said the same about the jackets (the leafs were the last game of the season and we won costing them a favorable matchup forcing them to play the caps). The only people that complain are soft teams that don't have the blue color hard working players on there team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You bet he is. You think he gets away with this, if he dawned a Jersey of a Canadian team? absolutely not.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You bet he is. You think he gets away with this, if he dawned a Jersey of a Canadian team? absolutely not.

Explain how Lucic gets away with his stuff then? That's a Canadian jersey. Emlin gets away with some malicious head shots and never gets punished. Subban got away with everything and dove to get calls on other guys. Ever hear the phrase Montreal typical?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Getzlaf is one of the most skilled players in the league. He also happens to be one of the meanest and more physical players in the league. Add it all up and he's the closest thing we've seen to Lindros

You actually have a point there. I remember first times I was watching Lindros and I felt a combination of admiration, fear, agony, amazement. Didn't like how he was treating my Swedish stars and heros but I was still amazed, almost in shock, Lindros was all over the place, dominating, scoring, assisting, hitting, fighting... and such a big strong player, I was like "Wtf!". Physical wasn't enough to describe Lindros, he was a monster out there. Lindros kind of changed how I looked at hockey, first didn't know if I was going to hate the guy or simply admire how he was playing. When Lindros was at his best together with the rest of Legion of Doom he was such a force, increadible. I wonder how most of his opponents felt like playing vs Lindros at his peak... "Ok, this is going to hurt.".

Getzlaf is perhaps a Lindros light comparing to when Lindros was at his peak.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He is loved by the refs because he pays them checks. Just like our organisation does to the NHL and the refs. The evidence is there!!!!11 Everyone knows that

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
What are we talking? Midget hockey? Yeah, I bet the refs were afraid to discipline him to because, ya know, it's Getzlaf, right? :laugh:

There is literally no point in saying that you have had significant contact with a player unless you have a way to actually prove it. No reasonable person is going to believe these sorts of claims from someone who just pops up out of the blue on a new account.

Oh ok. So I'd be more believable if I was one of the devoted posters making stuff up and pretending to know everything about every player/team/call/trade/etc? How many posts do I need to be able to claim that I played hockey with someone who plays in the NHL. In fact I've played with others in the NHL too. I'll take my 10 posts(?) and leave.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As long as he isn't hurting anyone and the other team isn't being called for things he's getting away with I couldn't care less.

And when I say "other team" I pretty much only mean Nashville.
:laugh: I love that last part

This is the way I see it, in the playoff pretty much everyone gets away with the minor interference plays. Getzlaf is just better at it than most. My team was ousted by the Ducks and I have zero problems with how he is playing the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad