Is Getzlaf getting away with too much?

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
I'll be the first to say getzlaf is an amazing player, but let's be honest after watching the Calgary series then the Edmonton and now just the first game here it seems getzlaf is allowed to dictate play to much by doing whatever he wants to whomever. Countless times an easy penalty should of been Called yet it nothing then nothing happens the other way. How many penalties had he even gotten this playoffs, 1 or 2? Let's please not start with the "veteran player" be because it's a joke of a statement and shouldn't exist.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No, he is what we need in the playoffs.

As a neutral fan there is way more entertainment value in the Ducks than there is in the Penguins or was in the Capitals simply because they have character.

I watched the Flames this year just for Tkachuk.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No, he is what we need in the playoffs.

As a neutral fan there is way more entertainment value in the Ducks than there is in the Penguins or was in the Capitals simply because they have character.

Yeah, I'll take speed and skill over 'character' for my entertainment, thanks. :laugh:

But to answer the OP, no I don't think he gets away with any more or less than anybody else in the playoffs.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Playing the NHL playoff rulebook perfectly...

Refs are awful so he's doing his job perfectly.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I prefer when the rules are consistent from player to player. Getzlaf is amazing. If there was ever a guy who didn't need to cheat to win, it's him.

With that said, I don't blame him for taking advantage of what the refs are giving him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't want to pinpoint one player here, but this game itself is poorly officiated. There are some brutal cheap plays out there. Would rather see skill and speed.

There are 9 penalties in this game and it feels like they could have called 9 more.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't want to pinpoint one player here, but this game itself is poorly officiated. There are some brutal cheap plays out there. Would rather see skill and speed.

There are 9 penalties in this game and it feels like they could have called 9 more.

You may as well get used to this on the off chance you meet Anaheim in the next roumd. The Ducks play in a lot of games that are poorly officiated. They know the officials aren't going to call every stick foul and they take advantage of it.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Skill, speed and playing dirty aren't mutually exclusive.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
As a Flames fan, I'd say he's getting away with more than he has in past years, but at the end of the day that's the NHL. Not his fault he's taking full advantage.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
As a Flames fan, I'd say he's getting away with more than he has in past years, but at the end of the day that's the NHL. Not his fault he's taking full advantage.

Pretty much. If he's allowed to do it, and the refs don't call anything against him, then who can blame Getzlaf. The guy basically has diplomatic immunity on the ice.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
6 PIMS in 12 games. The latest was an AUTOMATIC penalty.

Lady Byng? He's one of those "benefit of the doubt" players in the NHL that can get away with chopping a guys finger off.

St8Sh00ter

Oct 16, 2016
I'll be the first to say getzlaf is an amazing player, but let's be honest after watching the Calgary series then the Edmonton and now just the first game here it seems getzlaf is allowed to dictate play to much by doing whatever he wants to whomever. Countless times an easy penalty should of been Called yet it nothing then nothing happens the other way. How many penalties had he even gotten this playoffs, 1 or 2? Let's please not start with the "veteran player" be because it's a joke of a statement and shouldn't exist.

Seriously. Get some real problems. Watch game four and five ducks vs oil. :help:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
As long as he isn't hurting anyone and the other team isn't being called for things he's getting away with I couldn't care less.

And when I say "other team" I pretty much only mean Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad