Is Getzlaf getting away with too much?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I didn't see the play, but the way it was described by both an Oiler fan and a Ducks fan Draisaitl came in late and caught a retaliation penalty which is standard procedure. Something similar happened to Reaves in the Nashville-St Louis series where McLeod and Edmundson were going at it, Reaves skated by, the linesman got in between McLeod and Edmundson, and then Reaves decided to jump in. They got Reaves with the extra. Going in to get some after the officials have already inserted themselves in the scrum to gain control is incredibly dumb. If nothing else it's hardly am example of Getzlaf himself getting special treatment. I'm not going to believe for a second Lucic was innocent if DVM is saying he was hacking away, too.

scliff

Nov 28, 2009
Getzlaf is a great player and gets away with a lot of stuff that other players don't.

1manband

Mar 28, 2008
England
Alfie's was not after the whistle and it wasn't intentional (Untrue). It was in the dying seconds of the second period. He was trying one of those last-second Hail Mary shots, and for some reason, Francis Beauchemin kept moving in front of him and trying to block his 100-footer (He may have been attempting to go to net originally). Alfie moved to the right Looked up, saw Neidermayer, adjusted his body and took the shot, trying to miss Beauchemin But hit Niedermayer, and Niedermayer skated into it it hit him in the shinpad upper thigh/ stomach area. So much for a vicious attack by Alfie.
Getzlaf's, intentional or not, was much more dangerous.

Oh dear, a creative version of the truth there, have made the FACTUAL corrections for you!

I'll just leave this link here in case you had any doubts! -

http://www.tsn.ca/mendes-alfredsson...k-at-niedermayer-in-2007-stanley-cup-1.151929

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
What a strange thread, been watching Getzlaf every game for over 10 years and I don't think I can recall even 1 single instance of being clearly "over the line".

Yet apparently its rampant now just because he's finally getting the media attention he has deserved his whole career for his all-world abilities.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
I agree that Getzlaf is a great player. Loved him when he played for Team Canada. I'd love to have him on my team. He is also a cagey veteran who knows exactly how much he can get away with, and he has earned the respect of the referees so he gets a little extra latitude with his play. The faceoff after the icing example in Game 7 of the EDM-ANA series is a perfect example of that.

There were a few times though where calls were missed or the standard seemed to be inconsistent and this was infuriating as a fan. The best example I can think of is captured in the tweet below... :shakehead :rant:

Anyways, since Anaheim won our 10yr reunion playoff meeting, I thought we got to pick one player from Anaheim for losing (ala Pronger)... I pick Getzlaf. ;)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Getzlaf is awesome.Hard to believe he was drafted so low.Perfect "mortal" #1 center.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
no. lets be honest goes different.

1) i really dislike anaheim.
2) i really like nashville.
3) i really dislike getzlaf.

my reponse to your thread title.
did you start watching hockey a few years ago?

no. no getz isn't getting away with too much. he is playing harmless

effeffeight

Dec 1, 2016
Alfie's was not after the whistle and it wasn't intentional. It was in the dying seconds of the second period. He was trying one of those last-second Hail Mary shots, and for some reason, Francis Beauchemin kept moving in front of him and trying to block his 100-footer. Alfie moved to the right and took the shot, trying to miss Beauchemin, and Niedermeier skated into it. It hit him in the shinpad. So much for a vicious attack by Alfie.
Getzlaf's, intentional or not, was much more dangerous.
It has been 10 ****ing years, Alfie has admitted he shot the puck at him out if frustration, and you're still going with that ******** story? Wow.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I agree that Getzlaf is a great player. Loved him when he played for Team Canada. I'd love to have him on my team. He is also a cagey veteran who knows exactly how much he can get away with, and he has earned the respect of the referees so he gets a little extra latitude with his play. The faceoff after the icing example in Game 7 of the EDM-ANA series is a perfect example of that.

There were a few times though where calls were missed or the standard seemed to be inconsistent and this was infuriating as a fan. The best example I can think of is captured in the tweet below... :shakehead :rant:

Anyways, since Anaheim won our 10yr reunion playoff meeting, I thought we got to pick one player from Anaheim for losing (ala Pronger)... I pick Getzlaf. ;)

That is absolutely pathetic. I hate the inconsistency of reffing. Man what a joke

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
These threads are devoid of anything meaningful.

I say that because whining about Kesler and Getz is so misplaced. These are two guys who do not injure, headhunt, or knock players out of games.

They play a rough game with lots of contact, but they are far from dirty. I'm sure they give the occasional slash or jab after the whistle, but everyone does that.

And you want to whine about something? Whine about how Ritchie gets a penalty every game because he looks like an ugly goon.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Ducks were the most penalized team in the league in the regular season, but from what I watched those were a lot of obstruction type penalties that never get called in the playoffs. I think you have to give them some credit, they know what wins in the playoffs and do it all year, even if it hurts them in the regular season. I think it prepared them for the grind.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
These threads are devoid of anything meaningful.

I say that because whining about Kesler and Getz is so misplaced. These are two guys who do not injure, headhunt, or knock players out of games.

They play a rough game with lots of contact, but they are far from dirty. I'm sure they give the occasional slash or jab after the whistle, but everyone does that.

And you want to whine about something? Whine about how Ritchie gets a penalty every game because he looks like an ugly goon.

He earned all of his penalties in the last series. It isn't that he looks like a goon, he plays on the edge and goes over. He'll probably figure out that line sooner than later.

Jul 22, 2012
He earned all of his penalties in the last series. It isn't that he looks like a goon, he plays on the edge and goes over. He'll probably figure out that line sooner than later.

Did you see his penalty last night? It was the most bogus penalty so far in this series.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Yeah, I'll take speed and skill over 'character' for my entertainment, thanks. :laugh:

Right, because its just laughably that someone might prefer gritty hockey? I'm in agreement, games are waaaaay better when they are all out wars of attrition, give me Ducks/Preds over the Pens/Caps all day. But again this is my opinion and you can have your own and I'm not going to find it laughable because I am a reasonable human being.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Getzlaf in beast mode reminds me alot of Mark Messier, who I think got away with alot more. They even have similar hairstyles.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Refs always give the benefit of the doubt to guys like Getzlaf. Veteran player with a pretty clean history they can get away with absolute murder. Young guys or guys with the bad reputation get called for everything because of it but the "good veterans" can basically do almost anything they want.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Getzlaf in beast mode reminds me alot of Mark Messier, who I think got away with alot more. They even have similar hairstyles.

There might be something similar to them. Although I think Messier was way more vicious. He was borderline insane and other team players actually were (or at least that's how it seemed) scared to retaliate to him because he would come back with dirty tricks that hurt you, a lot.

Granted I didn't see Howe play, but I've seen footage and read the discussions back then and he had the same thing going on for him. Players simply didn't want to start anything with him because there was nothing they could do to Howe that wouldn't get twice the amount back.

There are certain type of dirty stars in the history. Howe and Messier were calculating and diabolical.

Maurice Richard was intense and like an explosive barrel that might go off.

Tikkanen while wasn't necessarily dirty, was still toeing the line with his antics and drove his opponents crazy with his non-hockey related actions on the ice.

A lot more that I just didn't bring up. All really great and big part of NHL history.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
At 55 and a lifetime fan of the Rangers, I started watching the Ducks when the opened in 93

This year has been different imo, but until this year, I've never seen a team get more badly
Reffed games than Anaheim. It was always mind boggling to me, especially after watching the rangers my whole life.

But the whining in the second round was mind numbing. For certain, bad calls were made, but the conspiracy theories that the tin helmet guys were spouting about were pathetic

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

After he gets a half-step, McDavid likes to lean in and extend his arm, preventing the defender from catching up. When the defender tries to fight through, McDavid goes down, usually getting the call. Is what Getzlaf did usually a penalty? Yes. But in the same series I saw Ritchie do the exact same thing as McDavid (shoulder in front and extend arm) and Ritchie was call for a penalty. So I have no idea what the standard/rule is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad