Is Germany a part of the big nations now?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd be splitting hairs if I tried to disagree. I think our opinions are pretty closely matched on this. Draisaitl is THE "X" factor for sure. Arguably top 2 in the game, regardless of position.

Exactly, I don’t see any players on the Swiss or Slovaks that match Draisaitl. As in not even in the same stratosphere of player as Draisaitl.

The other “X” factor in favour of the Germans is Grubauer. He’s a Vezina finalist this year, and he’s a talented player in his own right as well.

Draisaitl-Stutzle down the middle is a good start and beats what the Swiss or Slovaks can role out.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Kahun - Draisaitl - Bergmann
Stutzle - Reichel - Peterka
Plachta - Noebels - Eischensmid
Kuhnhackl - Sturm - Rieder

Would wipe the floor with Swiss.
Fiala > Kahun
Hischier < < < Drai
Niederreiter > > Bergmann
Meier = Stützle
Kurashev = Reichel
Hoffmann > Peterka
Suter > Plachta
Corvi > Noebles
Andrighetto > Eisenschmid
Baertschy = Kühnhackl
Haas < Sturm
Malgin < Rieder

Okay i make a poll (NHL Polls)

Reactions: morkkis35

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
No, Germany is not of the big nations yet. It has surpassed Slovakia and caught up to the Czech Republic, but as of today, it's still behind Switzerland with respect to depth and talent.

Germany needs to develop its defense to continue progressing. Moritz Seider is good, but he's no Roman Josi and Switzerland also has more NHL-caliber dmen.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Fiala > Kahun
Hischier < < < Drai
Niederreiter > > Bergmann
Meier = Stützle
Kurashev = Reichel
Hoffmann > Peterka
Suter > Plachta
Corvi > Noebles
Andrighetto > Eisenschmid
Baertschy = Kühnhackl
Haas < Sturm
Malgin < Rieder

Okay i make a poll (NHL Polls)
Peterka could make a big jump, he’s got a ton of potential and could be better than Hoffman by time of Olympics imo. I’d argue that point with Stutzle too, I’d say he will be better than any swiss forward besides Fiala by the time of the Olympics. He’s got the potential to make a huge jump in his second year, maybe he will be even better than fiala. Is Corvi really better than Noebels, I don’t think so, I’d say they are even. The rest of your comparisons I would agree with.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As in not even in the same stratosphere of player as Draisaitl.
You don't think Josi would look good on the Oil blue line?

I'd say they are in a similar stratosphere... I'll say Drai is better but I'd kill for a Norris Dman and the Swiss have one, an excellent one.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
well medal in og 2018 and close to medal 2021. with those players germany have and more coming up i would say germany is becoming a powerhouse. depth is there too, del is a good league that just gets better and better.
What's 'close to a medal' worth?

Also, how many more NHL years do you think Kahun and Reider have?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
For the Swiss vs Germany comparison.. Swiss are deeper and better. I know Drai is better but can someone continue the list and who is their Josi?

Only problem for the Swiss is no NHL goalie (which is crazy to me because they had so many good ones)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last one.. I think the Germans awesome and love what they are doing! Very well coached and a good to great goalie and Drai. However, today the NHL looks like this:

upload_2021-6-9_0-18-2.png

With Grubauer in net.

Seider will be awesome no doubt! Huge fan
Reichel should be good.
Zero guarantee Bokk becomes an NHler better than Kahun or Reider

I'm not trying to be mean.. I know Peterka is on his way. I know Seider will be awesome. I think Stutzl might be a Top 10 player soon. I think Drai is top 5 and won't be leaving soon. I get it.

How many more NHL years do we think Kahun and Reider have? I'm not sure the Oil are resigning Kahun and I'm positive Reider doesn't want to go to Edmonton (Nicholson should've been fired after that presser)

However, whos' the D? Who's the goalie when Grubauer sits or gets hurt (the other NHL goalie is not playing for Germany again).

Maybe I"m arguing depth.. maybe I"m jealous... who knows.

Last edited:

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
As a German hockey follower... hell no. I agree with those who say they seem to have catched up to the Switzerland/Slovakia tier. Where exacty they land on there is dependent on form and player availability. But IMO they are yet a step behind the Czechs and still way behind the other big nations.
That said I am totally happy if they have a reasonable chance to win a quarter final instead of it being a big upset. For 20 years I followed German teams that would be either quarters and out or relegation round calibre. If we have advanced to a group where you have a realistic expectation to reach the quarters in most years with an occasional win there in some that is definately a step forward in my books. About the rest ... let's see in 20 years ... :popcorn:o_O

Reactions: Goodman68 and KTl

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Short answer: NO!
Long answer: We are now in a position where we can sort of hang with the big nations and every once in a while manage an upset. But we are not there yet, and yes the Swiss are still ahead right now. However, IF the group around Reichel, Stützle and Peterka pans out in the NHL (including the depth players at home) we could be even or maybe slightly ahead for a time, but that is still a big if.

Best on best we now have the players to be a thorn in the side of even the powerhouses in hockey, at least in any single game. Depth is still a problem there, but less so than even 3 years ago.
At a tournament like the World Championships where many of the best players form the NHL are missing, there should not be any team we could not beat on a good day, because aside from the big name players and prospects like Draisaitl, Stützle, Seider, etc. we do now have a decent number of players, who could also have success in most other European leagues. Basically the gap between our domestic league players and those of Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic or Switzerland has closed quite a bit.
Again not there yet, but the trajectory was looking good these last few years. Hopefully we'll manage to continue in that directions, and results like 4th at the WHC will only help, because it helps to get funding (government and sponsors) which is sorely needed.

A quick side note about Moritz Seider:
I think despite his recent performance many people still don't realize just how good he already is and how much better he could still get. Barring injuries he will become an absolute force in the NHL and one of the best defensemen in the World.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
A quick side note about Moritz Seider:
I think despite his recent performance many people still don't realize just how good he already is and how much better he could still get. Barring injuries he will become an absolute force in the NHL and one of the best defensemen in the World.
I was super impressed not only with how he stayed calm and composed under pressure but also with how he so often managed to still think ahead and not just clear the puck but generate offense instead. There were so many times he turned a defensive situation into a scoring opportunity.
Agree on the rest, outside the starting line-up the team has lots of room to improve still.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Germany is a big country, that is naturally good at sports and hockey interest has been rising. My prediction is that in like 20-30 years, they will be clearly the 6th best nation overtaking Swiss and Czechs. As of now, take away Drai, Seider, Stutzle and they are nowehere near top6

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Germany is a big country, that is naturally good at sports and hockey interest has been rising. My prediction is that in like 20-30 years, they will be clearly the 6th best nation overtaking Swiss and Czechs. As of now, take away Drai, Seider, Stutzle and they are nowehere near top6
They will overtake all Euros eventually.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think they may be as good or better than the Swiss already.
Look at the highest drafted Germans and Swiss and compare them:
Drai vs Hischier. Stutzle vs Niederreiter. The Germans appear to hit their potential faster than the Swiss.
Reichel and Peterka will make the German Forward group even better than the Swiss.
Seider will eventually balance out the difference between the German and Swiss Dcorps.

What happened to the Slovaks ? Did they sell their Hockey gear for Soccer cleats & spend the extra money on a Playstation 5 ?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Germany has not caught up to the Czech Republic. I don't know why people don't take the Czech's seriously anymore.

Palat - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vrana - Hertl - Necas
Kubalik - Chytil - Voracek

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anyone, but this top 9 is good enough to compete against anyobdy, including Canada, in just a one game elimination. Pastrnak is not as good as Draisaitl, but a star in his own right. Necas is right on the cusp of becoming another elite forward.

And the Czech's depth are much stronger. A guy like Ondrej Kase would easily be Germany's third best forward, and he might not even make the Czech's Olympic team.

Their defense is weak, but still clearly stronger than Germany's. Seider is the only German defenseman who would make the Czech's Olympic team. Germany only has the advantage in goal, and that's only due to Grubauer.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
No, Germany is not of the big nations yet. It has surpassed Slovakia and caught up to the Czech Republic, but as of today, it's still behind Switzerland with respect to depth and talent.

Germany needs to develop its defense to continue progressing. Moritz Seider is good, but he's no Roman Josi and Switzerland also has more NHL-caliber dmen.
It follows that Sui is ahead of Cze? Are not. Depth in the NHL, depth prospects (Sui has recently had disastrous drafts).
They put together a very decent team, but on paper they are no better than the Cze team.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I would say they are definitely a Tier 2 nation now. For a while they were tier 3 but they have surpassed that.

Id roughly say

Tier 1 Canada Sweden Finland USA Russia
Tier 2 Switzerland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany,
Tier 3 France, Norway, Denmark, Austria Belarus, Latvia

Czechs have more relevant NHL players than all the other nations in your "Tier 2" combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad