Is Germany a part of the big nations now?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Final in og 2018 and now 4th place in 2021 wc.

Players such as Draisaitl, Rieder, Kuhnhackl, Greiss, Grubaur, Stutzle and Kahun in NHL.

Future stars in Bokk, Sturm, Michalies, Bergmann, Reichel, Peterka, Lutz, Shutz, Seider, Elias etc. They just keep producing players.

Is it safe to say that Germany is now part of the big nations?

Last edited:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
In terms of players they are definitely getting there.

In terms of tournament success? No... I don't think so, the Olympic tournament they won silver in didn't have any NHL players and this years IIHF WC was really weird too. They need more success on the international ice. Switzerland has 2 WC silver medals from the last 10 years and not everyone counts them as a big hockey nation yet...

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Totally depends what you define as big.

If big means consistently competitive, rarely threatened with relegation, and generally advancing out of the group stage, then yeah I think we can say so.

But if big means consistent contender and genuine medal threat then no, absolutely not.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Totally depends what you define as big.

If big means consistently competitive, rarely threatened with relegation, and generally advancing out of the group stage, then yeah I think we can say so.

But if big means consistent contender and genuine medal threat then no, absolutely not.

well medal in og 2018 and close to medal 2021. with those players germany have and more coming up i would say germany is becoming a powerhouse. depth is there too, del is a good league that just gets better and better.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
well medal in og 2018 and close to medal 2021. with those players germany have and more coming up i would say germany is becoming a powerhouse. depth is there too, del is a good league that just gets better and better.
As mentioned above by someone else, both of those tournaments were not even remotely close to best on best.

Germany would have no chance in a best on best, where they only have 1 star player right now, and terrible depth compared to any of the actual powerhouse nations.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

I agree with your second point, that DEL is becoming a good league and (particularly bc of Mannheim, but also other programs) is also now producing good young talent. But calling them a powerhouse seems beyond hyperbolic.

Also, the 2018 OG performance as fun and impressive as it was, was a fluke during an odd tournament. This year's WC was even worse. I mean no disrespect to the player who did go and take part in this tournament - but have a look at the rosters. Those are simply not top-notch teams and I wouldn't read too much into any country's performance.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
This is the big problem in Hockey! Too few "best on best" tournaments. This is good for little hockey nations.
But this creates a crooked picture.
This WC was a joke. Comparinhg to Football(Soccer) Olympics. Mexico won this 2012. Is Mexiko a Football-Powerhouse or almost somthing like this? No!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Depth? Really?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Depth? Really?

in 3-4 years from now they will have 4 lines which are a threat even in best on best, if everyone panned out as planned.

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Reichel - Bokk
Michalis - Sturm - Bergmann
Lutz - Elias - Shutz

Depth? Yes, there is plenty of good germans in DEL.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
in 3-4 years from now they will have 4 lines which are a threat even in best on best, if everyone panned out as planned.

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Peterka - Reichel - Bokk
Michalis - Sturm - Bergmann
Lutz - Elias - Shutz

Depth? Yes, there is plenty of good germans in DEL.
Has Kahun, Bergmann, Michaelis a future in NHL? I doubt! Bokk? Maybe on big ice is good, but he wasn t convincing in SHL. Lutz, Schütz, Reichel, Peterka we can speculate. All 4 with impact? It is enough in comparing to the Czechs and SUI? Def Seider and........????

Reactions: Elvs and Goodman68

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Has Kahun, Bergmann, Michaelis a future in NHL? I doubt! Bokk? Maybe on big ice is good, but he wasn t convincing in SHL. Lutz, Schütz, Reichel, Peterka we can speculate. All 4 with impact? It is enough in comparing to the Czechs and SUI? Def Seider and........????

Bokk was good in SHL 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. And he is doing good in AHL this season.

When it comes to d, Seider as you said, then there is Gawanke, Hänefelt, Gnyp, Glötzl, Huttl, Ugbekile, Huß, Quaas etc. The d is not as good as the forwards but still decent.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Bokk was good in SHL 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. And he is doing good in AHL this season.

When it comes to d, Seider as you said, then there is Gawanke, Hänefelt, Gnyp, Glötzl, Huttl, Ugbekile, Huß, Quaas etc. The d is not as good as the forwards but still decent.
Yes but this are too much spekulation objects. But comparing to Czechs and SUI isn t good enough.

Reactions: Goodman68

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Nope. They are going to the right direction but it is too early to call them a big nation hockeywise. There's promise but until it starts to show, no.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Yes but this are too much spekulation objects. But comparing to Czechs and SUI isn t good enough.
Germany is better than Switzerland in best on best tournament. No beating around the bush. I’m taking Germans forward group every day over the Swiss forward core. Swiss D core is elevated because of Josi but German depth there is better. German goaltending clears Swiss by quite a margin.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Germany is better than Switzerland in best on best tournament. No beating around the bush. I’m taking Germans forward group every day over the Swiss forward core. Swiss D core is elevated because of Josi but German depth there is better. German goaltending clears Swiss by quite a margin.
Fiala - Hischier - Niederreiter
Meier -Kurashev - Hoffmann
Suter - Corvi - Andrighetto
Baertschy - Haas - Malgin

weaker than german OF???

It s time to make a poll? ;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah.... no. They're at best around Slovakia, Switzerland level. Not on the level of Czechs, but getting there.

It’ll be interesting how they fare in the next best-on-best.

They’ve had a couple good drafts in a row plus Draisaitl who is a
top 3 forward in the NHL.

The thing is to be in the class of the top 5 hockey nations you need year over year high end talent not just the odd year here and there.

I agree, in best-on-best I’d have them just behind the Czechs but ahead of Slovakia and Switzerland.

German hockey is definitely on the rise though and really no reason they shouldn’t consistently be an outside threat for a medal and consistently in the top 8 amongst hockey nations.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It’ll be interesting how they fare in the next best-on-best.

They’ve had a couple good drafts in a row plus Draisaitl who is a
top 3 forward in the NHL.

The thing is to be in the class of the top 5 hockey nations you need year over year high end talent not just the odd year here and there.

I agree, in best-on-best I’d have them just behind the Czechs but ahead of Slovakia and Switzerland.

German hockey is definitely on the rise though and really no reason they shouldn’t consistently be an outside threat for a medal and consistently in the top 8 amongst hockey nations.
I'd be splitting hairs if I tried to disagree. I think our opinions are pretty closely matched on this. Draisaitl is THE "X" factor for sure. Arguably top 2 in the game, regardless of position.

Reactions: snipes

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Fiala - Hischier - Niederreiter
Meier -Kurashev - Hoffmann
Suter - Corvi - Andrighetto
Baertschy - Haas - Malgin

weaker than german OF???

It s time to make a poll? ;)

Kahun - Draisaitl - Bergmann