Is Expansion something the WHL would consider at this time?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I could see Wenatchee as a possible relocation city if the T-Birds or Winterhawks were ever to be forced out by the NHL.

As for a place like SLC, let's not forget this is a Western Canadian League.

Agreed that there's already 2-4 too many teams as it is.

Hordichuk_24

From what I've heard there is no interest from the league as far as expansion goes for another US team. Vancouver island is their main focal point. They want another team there...it's just a matter of whether a viable rink can/will be built. Other than that there isn't a lot of interest for any other location. Not unless a ton of money is involved. Of course relocation is a different matter. I would guess at least one team moves within the next few years. Probably more. The destination is more of a mystery at this point.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
From what I've heard there is no interest from the league as far as expansion goes for another US team. Vancouver island is their main focal point. They want another team there...it's just a matter of whether a viable rink can/will be built. Other than that there isn't a lot of interest for any other location. Not unless a ton of money is involved. Of course relocation is a different matter. I would guess at least one team moves within the next few years. Probably more. The destination is more of a mystery at this point.

The US comes up simply because if you expand by one team, two makes a lot more sense. And if you are going to have 24 teams in 4 divisions, why wouldn't you add a 6th team in the US as opposed to having 7 in the BC and 5 in the US. That's not to say that they should, but I can see the logic behind suggesting that if expansion happened, another US team would be a part of it.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The US comes up simply because if you expand by one team, two makes a lot more sense. And if you are going to have 24 teams in 4 divisions, why wouldn't you add a 6th team in the US as opposed to having 7 in the BC and 5 in the US. That's not to say that they should, but I can see the logic behind suggesting that if expansion happened, another US team would be a part of it.

Symmetry would be cool in and of itself, but there's an ongoing battle between large markets and small markets in the WHL. Consider that the Tri-Cities (Kennewick/Pasco/Richland) are a larger market than either Saskatoon or Regina. The markets more likely to work south of the 49th are the larger ones, possibly not Wenatchee? Even though not every American team has the right GM at the right time, there's at least a perception among owners that Seattle, Portland, and maybe Everett can hold on to the kind of player who would otherwise spurn a smaller Canadian team for a US college.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Symmetry would be cool in and of itself, but there's an ongoing battle between large markets and small markets in the WHL. Consider that the Tri-Cities (Kennewick/Pasco/Richland) are a larger market than either Saskatoon or Regina. The markets more likely to work south of the 49th are the larger ones, possibly not Wenatchee? Even though not every American team has the right GM at the right time, there's at least a perception among owners that Seattle, Portland, and maybe Everett can hold on to the kind of player who would otherwise spurn a smaller Canadian team for a US college.

But even Seattle/Everett couldn't get Fabbro/Jost to join the WHL. If Jost comes now, it will be as a Regina Pat. Seattle also lost a year with Gropp deciding and almost didn't have Barzal either.

If you ask me (and no one did) you would need another Washington team as opposed to a second Oregon team or something in ID/MT. My choice, excluding all arena factors and such, would be Bellingham.

However, if the Winterhawks ever get a suburban arena, I could maybe see a Vancouver (WA) team being viable.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
But even Seattle/Everett couldn't get Fabbro/Jost to join the WHL. If Jost comes now, it will be as a Regina Pat. Seattle also lost a year with Gropp deciding and almost didn't have Barzal either.

If you ask me (and no one did) you would need another Washington team as opposed to a second Oregon team or something in ID/MT. My choice, excluding all arena factors and such, would be Bellingham.

However, if the Winterhawks ever get a suburban arena, I could maybe see a Vancouver (WA) team being viable.

Is that something the Winterhawks want? A suburban arena? I saw the Hawks two years ago and loved the location where they played, so central next to the train....and access to dates at the Moda centre...

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Is that something the Winterhawks want? A suburban arena? I saw the Hawks two years ago and loved the location where they played, so central next to the train....and access to dates at the Moda centre...

Oh hell no. They do love that location so much that they're willing to play half their games in the old fart Memorial Coliseum (next door to Moda Center).

However, they can't afford 36 games in Moda and they're a crazy uncle investor (which, TBH, Portland has never seen one) away from losing that coliseum. Which means, naturally, don't hold your breath.

Hordichuk_24

Expansion in itself for the league at this point is highly unlikely. Adding two teams given that notion is nothing short of fantasy. I get what you are saying but based on what I've heard adding another team in the states isn't in the leagues plans. That doesn't mean things can't or won't change in the future but it isn't a priority for the time being. Relocation is a different matter. I fully expect at least one franchise to be moved and relatively soon. Maybe by circumstance another US city becomes an option that way? I think that's the only way another team is added to the US division. And that won't have anything to do with the league wanting that per say. It's due to circumstances and the fact they can't add a team where they would like to (ideally). At the very least that would balance out the conferences (assuming one of those potentially relocated teams is from the east, which I think is very likely).

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Oh hell no. They do love that location so much that they're willing to play half their games in the old fart Memorial Coliseum (next door to Moda Center).

However, they can't afford 36 games in Moda and they're a crazy uncle investor (which, TBH, Portland has never seen one) away from losing that coliseum. Which means, naturally, don't hold your breath.

Asking this simply based on curiosity and a very basic knowledge of Portland (ie, I drove there and then spent two days at Holladay Park waiting for my family to finish the Seattle to Portland ride...) but if for some reason the Hawks had to vacate the Rose Quarter, could Hillsboro be a landing spot? Don't know much about the town itself, other than they would need a new arena, and that it's home to the Single-A Hops, though they seem to do pretty well for that level of ball.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Not sure if there was a list of cities/towns who are willing to have WHL hockey? That I wonder about and would love to see Winnipeg back in the WHL one day but time will tell right?

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
I have mixed feelings. I don't think they need more teams, but on the flip side, the Western Conference has 10 teams competing for 8 playoff spots., that's just silly.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Not sure if there was a list of cities/towns who are willing to have WHL hockey? That I wonder about and would love to see Winnipeg back in the WHL one day but time will tell right?

If the Moose's (Meese?) plan is to stick in the MTS Centre long term there isn't much room for a WHL team in Winnipeg. Especially with the AHL's policy of scheduling mostly weekend games (similar to the WHL).

I wonder if True North would ever consider expanding one of the rinks at the IcePlex to 3000-5000 seats, and put a Major Junior team in there, and use the big rink for the playoffs or the odd marquee game.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If the Moose's (Meese?) plan is to stick in the MTS Centre long term there isn't much room for a WHL team in Winnipeg. Especially with the AHL's policy of scheduling mostly weekend games (similar to the WHL).

I wonder if True North would ever consider expanding one of the rinks at the IcePlex to 3000-5000 seats, and put a Major Junior team in there, and use the big rink for the playoffs or the odd marquee game.

It's just Moose, be it singular or plural. ;)

I don't think True North goes after a WHL team. Since the Moose would be the more family friendly pricing option, you'd essentially pit the Moose and WHL against one another.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I still think it will never happen and i'll eat my shirt if it does (then buy some season tickets) but i thought i'd pass along the message.

http://www.q99live.com/news/?news_action=view&news_id=9096&ret=%3Fnews_action%3Dlist

Scott Clark is settling in as the new general manager at Revolution Place, and brings a resume that includes over three decades of experience in the industry.

When asked, Clark wouldn't deny the possibility of a Western Hockey League team coming to the Swan City down the road.

"My background is with the CHL with different franchises. I ran different franchises for over 25 years, including three franchises in the Western Hockey League. I've got a lot of contacts there, I'm very familiar with how they do their business," explained Clark. "The size of the community and the age of the community, I absolutely think it could support a Western Hockey League franchise very well," he added.

Clark has spent time working with the Kootenay Ice, Regina Pats and Tri-City Americans of the WHL, and also the Oshawa Generals and Soo Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League. He has also spent time working for Hockey Canada and spent over seven years with the Toronto Blue Jays sales department.

"The arena, right now, isn't the proper size for the Western Hockey League and it doesn't have some of the essential ingredients that Western Hockey League facilities have to have now. But it's not that far off," said Clark in regards to Revolution Place.

Clark admits a WHL franchise in Grande Prairie is something he plans to explore, but is currently not at the top of his "to-do" list.

For now, Clark hopes to increase ticket sales for the Storm and continue bringing high quality acts to Revolution Place.

"What we've got here is a really good track record. We've had a lot of good events come through the building over the years. We've got a good team here that's very experienced, and we've got excellent support at City Hall. I'm just so impressed with this city and how progressive it is."

IMO if Grande Prairie is serious about attracting a WHL franchise they should hold a rookie tournament during training camp similar to what the NHL teams do during preseason. Moncton did this in the QMJHL this year and it was quite successful but they already have a franchise and interest in that level of hockey so I realize its not quite an apples to apples comparison. Considering i see the Red Deer Rebels, Edmonton Oil Kings, Calgary Hitmen buses at our hotels at various points throughout the year it wouldn't be difficult for them to agree to come here if the financials make sense. Throw in Prince George and you have a nice little 4 team tournament you can use as a "proof on concept" for the willingness of the population of supporting a franchise down the line.

Last edited:

BruinsFan19

Jun 30, 2009
News1130 posted on Twitter this morning that Ron Robison has said Chilliwack and Nanaimo are the cities they're watching for the future.

Hordichuk_24

News1130 posted on Twitter this morning that Ron Robison has said Chilliwack and Nanaimo are the cities they're watching for the future.

Nanaimo is no secret as that has been their main focal point for a new franchise since the Royals moved. The ship has sailed for Chilliwack, IMO. Especially if the Giants stay in Langley long term (which I'm not betting on, but you never know).

BruinsFan19

Jun 30, 2009
As a Chilliwack fan, I personally hope they stay away. I can see on Twitter that a few people feel that way.

It was Robison himself who said they're still sniffing around here.

Hordichuk_24

As a Chilliwack fan, I personally hope they stay away. I can see on Twitter that a few people feel that way.

It was Robison himself who said they're still sniffing around here.

I wouldn't trust anything he says. I'm sure they are paying attention to the market but that doesn't necessarily mean anything is in the works. I think it's highly unlikely another team goes there.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Nanaimo makes moves towards hosting a WHL team

Nanaimo is currently looking at two sites in its downtown for an arena, with the primary goal to attract a WHL team.

Anyone here want to hold their breath?

Asking this simply based on curiosity and a very basic knowledge of Portland (ie, I drove there and then spent two days at Holladay Park waiting for my family to finish the Seattle to Portland ride...) but if for some reason the Hawks had to vacate the Rose Quarter, could Hillsboro be a landing spot? Don't know much about the town itself, other than they would need a new arena, and that it's home to the Single-A Hops, though they seem to do pretty well for that level of ball.

I'm going to say no. Not without qualification... Hillsboro/Washington County has been trying for years to build something of an events pavilion on the county fairgrounds. No plans to include sports, never mind hockey, but "trying for years" should be the clue that the governments trying to get this done have beat themselves upside the head trying. It's not a public desire. There won't be an attempt to flat out poach the Winterhawks (which is what it would take to gain any momentum, theoretically, which I doubt would actually happen). BTW, Hillsboro isn't exactly making money on the ballpark, even for a relatively inexpensive build.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Winnipeg has AHL and Jets fans would rather watch their prospects develop than teens who will leave for another NHL team in the future.

But I'd love to see Selkirk or Portage la Prairie getting one. Selkirk I'd prefer because it has a terrific rink and isn't too far away from Winnipeg. I think they would do very well.

Another one I think should be in consideration is Yorkton because they have such good fans for their SJHL team.

Would like Grand Prairie but they're way too far away. But I'd also like to throw in Missoula, Abbotsford and Billings as considerations. Nanaimo would be a good location but as we all know they don't have a rink. Lloydminister as well if their arena was bigger.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Looks like Nanaimo is lining things up for WHL. It sounds like it is approved in the city council and off to a vote for a new arena to the public. And it also notes that a team is available immediately (Ice?)

http://www.cheknews.ca/whl-team-come-nanaimo-next-season-246793/
Councillor Bill Bestwick, “what we do know is that a team is available and what we do know is that frank crane arena is 45 years old and what we do know is that if we wait 5 or 10 or 15 more years there might not be a team available and assuredly the event centre would cost five 10 , 15, 20 million dollars more.â€

Would be cool to see the return of WHL to Nanaimo and branded as the Islanders again.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Would be cool to see the return of WHL to Nanaimo and branded as the Islanders again.

They can't be named the Islanders because there is already a CHL team with that name. When Flint got their OHL team they wanted to name them Phoenix but couldnt because there was already a CHL team using that name

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
They can't be named the Islanders because there is already a CHL team with that name. When Flint got their OHL team they wanted to name them Phoenix but couldnt because there was already a CHL team using that name

Yeah, I don't think thats true. There was talk of bringing back the "Generals" moniker, but that got squashed quickly b/c another team in the same league (oshawa) already has that.. But this is the first I've ever heard of the different league thing.

Should Cornwall ever get a CHL team back, I think there'd be a push to name them the Royals...

Why wouldn't Nanaimo consider naming them the Clippers? Or would the idea be to try and field teams at both levels? ...few cities that size can do it (PG, Soo, Kingston are the only ones coming to mind).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->