Is everyone enjoying the season?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Overall it's hard to complain with the results so far. Once the team is more consistent I think it will be much better to watch.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Of course i enjoy winning.

BUT I fear that we will not retain our current position unless we have a big change in the way we play. We have been outworked, outplayed and outshot on a regular basis with the goalies bailing the team out. We've also lost our physicality from last season.

We can't sustain this. Sooner or later, the team will fall from the standings.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Of course i enjoy winning.

BUT I fear that we will not retain our current position unless we have a big change in the way we play. We have been outworked, outplayed and outshot on a regular basis with the goalies bailing the team out. We've also lost our physicality from last season.

I think that is the fear that because of the way the team is playing that this bubble could burst at any time.

Hopefully they get things corrected and avoid such a potential outcome.

Mr Scarface*

Really enjoying ice hockey again and carlyle's Maple Leafs.

We will fight even more in the end and closer to the playoffs. You'll see. Carly's leafs will hit the most and fight the most in the end. Just we all proved LAST season. This is the tougher and harder team and will do so.
Really entertaining stuff and hockey this. Can't wait for the playoffs.

Also have to add that haven't been enjoying our goaltending game so much after Ed Belfour left the building. It works now, so that makes it an enjoyment to watch.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yeah 11-6-0 same at Pittsburgh. Looking at the stats there are some weird similarities between the leafs and pens. Both teams have scored 2.88 goals per game and have given up 2.35 goals per game. Both teams have a powerplay at 21.7% although Pittsburgh's penalty kill rounds to 83.8% - a whopping 0.1% higher than ours.
Wow, what are the chances?

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Those 15 minutes per game we play well is very enjoyable watching our elite wingers do their thing, the other 45 minutes skating around in our own zone is enjoyable to an extent, it's kind of like an old Benny Hill episode with a goaltending clinic to boot.

Mr Scarface*

Yeah 11-6-0 same at Pittsburgh. Looking at the stats there are some weird similarities between the leafs and pens. Both teams have scored 2.88 goals per game and have given up 2.35 goals per game. Both teams have a powerplay at 21.7% although Pittsburgh's penalty kill rounds to 83.8% - a whopping 0.1% higher than ours.
That there is pretty ****in amazing I have to say. It also tells just how ****in hard as hell our team is. Our team is really really tough and so is carlyle.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
That there is pretty ****in amazing I have to say. It also tells just how ****in hard as hell our team is. Our team is really really tough and so is carlyle.

Very misleading, I don't care or follow what the Pens do. But were a very lucky team to be 11-6-0 lets review shall we?

Montreal (4-3 win)- Evenly matched game, but the Habs came on strong in the end easily they could have tied it up and possibly won if not for some key saves by Reimer

Philly (3-1 win)- A solid road win

Colardo (2-1 Loss)- Could have won this game, but lacked of offense killed us

Ottawa (5-4 SO win)- Again it went to a shootout, could have gone either way lucky for us things worked out, close game.

Nashville (4-0) Best game of the year, we dominated the Preds in all areas

Edmonton (6-5 OT Win)- We were very and I mean VERY forutante to win this game, we were trailing 5-4 with :34 seconds to go had it not been for a key faceoff win by Bozak and a clutch snipe from Lups we lose this game flat out.

Minnesota (4-1 Win) Reimer won us this game even though we had no business winning, anytime you are outshot 41-16 thats just all around pathetic.

Carolina (3-2 Loss)- Close game but ironically the thing that has kept us in most games this year cost us 2 points

Chicago (3-1 Loss)- Complete embarassment of a game, only reason the score was so close was because Bernier stood on his head.

Anaheim (4-2 Win)- Started off stinkworthy in the 1st, but we decided to show up for the 2nd and 3rd, very resilent win

Columbus (5-2 Loss)- The one time we don't give up 35 plus shots we get blown out:laugh:

Pittsburgh (4-1 Win)- Despite giving up nearly 40 shots, I thought our team did well containing Malkin and Crosby

Edmonton (4-0 Win)- Again a joke of a game on the Leafs end, again only reason we won was because Reimer stood on his head facing nearly 50 shots.

Calgary (4-2 Win): Like the Edmonton game, we completely got embarassed out there and the only reason we won (again) was because of Bernier standing on his head

Vancouver (4-0 Loss): Complete joke, got utterly embarassed out there despite decent goaltending.

New Jersey (2-1 Win): Again a game we were very lucky to win, anytime you are in the shootout its a crapshoot and can go either way, lucky for us it went our way and we got the 2 points.

Boston (3-1 Loss): Very much a bipolar game in which we got dominated in the 1st, we dominated them in the 2nd and they played slightly better then us in the 3rd.

Really of the 16 games we've played so far, we've only dominated a team once, have been competitve in 7 of them and the other 8 we have been competely embarassed in. This team is VERY lucky to be 11-6-0.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
There's a few things that worry me, but yeah, it's been an enjoyable season. Already a decent number of big goals to look back on.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
OP here is a tip: Don't call it ice hockey. Just hockey

Well depends on where he's coming from. If for example you said hockey where I am living people would just assume you were referring to field hockey. A game that's a lot bigger in New Zealand then Ice hockey is.

Guess I am just use to it now, ps there was no need to correct the OP was there really?

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
The team is absolutely horrible to watch. Extremely boring play unless you're a fan of the other team. But they're winning so it's OK.

Really? When this team gets the puck it's very entertaining to watch , you can actually see the difference in skill this year with the plays , passes, and many pretty goals scored. Jessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, all naturally skilled players, after many years of watching average forwards it's been a nice treat this year.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Very misleading, I don't care or follow what the Pens do. But were a very lucky team to be 11-6-0 lets review shall we?

Montreal (4-3 win)- Evenly matched game, but the Habs came on strong in the end easily they could have tied it up and possibly won if not for some key saves by Reimer

Ottawa (5-4 SO win)- Again it went to a shootout, could have gone either way lucky for us things worked out, close game.

Edmonton (6-5 OT Win)- We were very and I mean VERY forutante to win this game, we were trailing 5-4 with :34 seconds to go had it not been for a key faceoff win by Bozak and a clutch snipe from Lups we lose this game flat out.

Minnesota (4-1 Win) Reimer won us this game even though we had no business winning, anytime you are outshot 41-16 thats just all around pathetic.

Carolina (3-2 Loss)- Close game but ironically the thing that has kept us in most games this year cost us 2 points

Chicago (3-1 Loss)- Complete embarassment of a game, only reason the score was so close was because Bernier stood on his head.

Anaheim (4-2 Win)- Started off stinkworthy in the 1st, but we decided to show up for the 2nd and 3rd, very resilent win

Columbus (5-2 Loss)- The one time we don't give up 35 plus shots we get blown out:laugh:

Pittsburgh (4-1 Win)- Despite giving up nearly 40 shots, I thought our team did well containing Malkin and Crosby

Edmonton (4-0 Win)- Again a joke of a game on the Leafs end, again only reason we won was because Reimer stood on his head facing nearly 50 shots.

Calgary (4-2 Win): Like the Edmonton game, we completely got embarassed out there and the only reason we won (again) was because of Bernier standing on his head

Vancouver (4-0 Loss): Complete joke, got utterly embarassed out there despite decent goaltending.

New Jersey (2-1 Win): Again a game we were very lucky to win, anytime you are in the shootout its a crapshoot and can go either way, lucky for us it went our way and we got the 2 points.

Boston (3-1 Loss): Very much a bipolar game in which we got dominated in the 1st, we dominated them in the 2nd and they played slightly better then us in the 3rd.

Really of the 16 games we've played so far, we've only dominated a team once, have been competitve in 7 of them and the other 8 we have been competely embarassed in. This team is VERY lucky to be 11-6-0.
I respectfully disagree with this entire post but just thing, you have to good to get lucky .

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I enjoy our winning record but other than our victory against the lowly Oilers, I've wanted to rip my hair out on a nightly basis.

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
Very happy with them winning.

However I would love for them to start earning those wins instead of relying on great goaltending and high shooting %.

Kessel is still a deity though.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
It's really hard to say. Any Leafs fan who isn't happy with their record is insane. Any Leafs fan who isn't happy with the goaltending has something wrong. Any Leafs fan who isn't thrilled that Kessel is starting to look like a top NHL player and not just one based on the scoresheet should be very happy.

But these games have been incredibly stressful. I remember the Curtis Joseph era when the Leafs relied on him to bail them out, but they never played so much of the game trapped in their own zone like they have this year. It's hard to really enjoy the games when the stress level is on max half the game. I love the record but I think I "enjoyed" the team a little bit more last year. They were more physical and they looked like they used their speed more effectively last year.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I'm happy with the record but NOT with how we are playing (save for the goalies, who have shown up for pretty much every game this year save a couple).

We are constantly getting outplayed, outshot and outchanced. Constantly in our end, on our heels waiting for the shoe to drop.

I have zero doubt in my mind we will come crashing back to earth (probably as soon as this week).

It's not all dire- there are some positives for sure. Kessel, the goalies, JVR's been good, etc but the team as a unit has been very poor and things are going to start turning against them/us very, very soon.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well, i know injuries/susp happen and all but we have yet to see the Nonis/Carl full vision/line up yet.

Thats the only disappointment i have on this season.

Unsure why they are chewing away what little cap space we have with having Liles up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

this post is hilarious.

BayStreetBullies*

Interesting how it's only the Leafs who will fall in the standings, and everyone will magically sustain their current form.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad