Is Ekblad most talented Dman in NHL?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've always questioned Ekblad's upside.

Not convinced he has as much room to grow as some people say around here. To be the most skilled defenseman, you need to have some skills that stand out.

What stands out about Ekblad? He adjusted very quickly to the NHL, as expected from a physically mature 1st overall pick. Beyond that?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Karlsson has as much offensive talent as anyone in hockey - defense or forward.

Doughty seems to have the most on-ice impact in every way. Ekblad is more like Doughty, maybe not as good though. There are some pretty great ones already mentioned though - Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Josi, Weber, Subban, Keith, Burns. Morgan Rielly's looking really good lately, not yet in that class though.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson has as much offensive talent as anyone in hockey - defense or forward.

Doughty seems to have the most on-ice impact in every way. Ekblad is more like Doughty, maybe not as good though. There are some pretty great ones already mentioned though - Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Josi, Weber, Subban, Keith, Burns. Morgan Rielly's looking really good lately, not yet in that class though.

Not trying to turn it into another Doughty-Karlsson debate, but no defenceman has as much on-ice impact as Karlsson. No other team relies on their number one defenceman as the Sens rely on EK65. Doughty is more comparable to Hedman, and as you saw in the World Cup, Karlsson is the man from the blueline for Sweden.

As for the original question: Ekblad is not the most talented defenceman now, and there is no particular trait in which he is the best amongst his peers today. However, the kid is 20, and I fully expect him to be a top-10 defenceman for years to come.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
No....

Karlsson
Keith
Doughty
Josi
Gostisbehere
Subban

All have more talent, while hes clearly better than Ghost, there's players that are more talented IMO

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He'll be lucky if he gets to Nate Guenin level

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If Ekblad was on the Sens, Karlsson would carry him too.

Ekblad looks more like a Shattenkirk-level of player for the moment. He's a ways away from even Hedman let alone the Norris winners of the last few years.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Karlsson, Subban, Doughty are all definetly more talented. Josi, Keith, Burns, and Letang are IMO also more talented.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Talented like how? Stickhandling? Skating? Checking? Positioning? All of the above?

Very vague statement title.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Jesus..

Not the defenseman that lead the entire league in assists and just had a PPG season?

The question was most talented, not which defenseman is the most offensively talented with little to offer defensively.

I would take Ekblad, Keith, Doughty, or Josi over Karlsson all day every day if I had to build a team right now and that is just going off the three that were in the post you quoted.

To be talented on HFboards means score goals apparently so it tough to take this thread too seriously.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not trying to turn it into another Doughty-Karlsson debate, but no defenceman has as much on-ice impact as Karlsson. No other team relies on their number one defenceman as the Sens rely on EK65. Doughty is more comparable to Hedman, and as you saw in the World Cup, Karlsson is the man from the blueline for Sweden.

As for the original question: Ekblad is not the most talented defenceman now, and there is no particular trait in which he is the best amongst his peers today. However, the kid is 20, and I fully expect him to be a top-10 defenceman for years to come.

Is that a compliment to Karlsson or an insult to the Senators?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He simply developed faster, that doesn't make his ceiling any higher. Ekblad is athletically far ahead of most dman his age

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've always questioned Ekblad's upside.

Not convinced he has as much room to grow as some people say around here. To be the most skilled defenseman, you need to have some skills that stand out.

What stands out about Ekblad? He adjusted very quickly to the NHL, as expected from a physically mature 1st overall pick. Beyond that?

I was thinking about this as well, he doesn't seem to stand out much in any one particular skill. He stands out in the sense that he plays a very smart and mature game for his age, but obviously he can improve all of his skills still. Tough to say what his full potential is but I'm not sure if it will be best defenseman in the league.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think hell be a top 5 dman who may perhaps be better than Doughty on a given year. At the moment he is not at the elite level yet.

The thing is, Doughty at 19 was much better than Ekblad at 19.

So Ekblad has some serious ground to make up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad