Votes: 16 7.5%
  • maybe - let's see how the rest of this season goes

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • absolutely not

Votes: 183 85.9%

• Total voters

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Draisaitl seems to have hit a new low lately. The same horrible, lethargic habits that we all love to hate, but now magnified even worse. Blind backhand passes to nowhere. More turnovers than a bakesale. Not even bothering to play defense. It's now December Drai all-year round.

And now his recent stretch of play. Not that I put any stock into the all-star game, but, quite frankly, that was beyond embarrassing. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in target shooting. And what was with throwing the puck backwards on a breakaway?

Now, I was willing to cut him some slack until I realized that the all-star game was merely a reflection of his entire season. And now, his offence, the one thing that makes all of his foibles somewhat bearable, has disappeared. Pointless in the last two games. Even worse, not at single shot on goal.

Now a healthy, effective Draisaitl can provide that second-line centre that cup-winning teams need. That centre can drive a line on his own, outperform the opposition 5v5, and play respectable defence. So trading that type of player seems bizarre. But he's barely a shell of that right now and has been more or less like this all season.

So, given all of the above, is it time to start thinking about moving on? I know this idea may seem unfathomable to some, but I think that we should at least consider it as an option. We'll need to reevaluate this question next summer with his contract set to expire the following year. But what if, as some of you have mentioned, we've seen the peak of his career, and like Lucic in 2018, he only goes downhill from here and becomes virtually untradeable or returns negligible assets?

Why not consider selling at a high point? We need that #1D (not Chychryn - think bigger) or big splash to compete for the cup, but we don't have the cap. Moving Draisaitl not only frees up $8.5 million to make that big move but also removes what I think has become a redundant skillset on our team, especially with the return of Kane and the emergence of Nuge and Hyman as legitimate offensive threats that can carry a line on their own.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MessierThanThou

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
cgw5v6czh7c01.gif

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
lol...I knew I'd get flamed. Of course, I don't want to trade him for garbage, I want to get a legit #1D and maybe some other assets. I think it's at least something to think about. The only downside is, of course, his friendship with McDavid. And Connor's subsequent feelings about it.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
jebus this OP is terrible. C'mon.

2nd in pts in NHL "player has disappeared, lets ship him out" lol

31 teams in the league would wet their pants to be getting this player. They would have priapism for years.
I think Kucherov actually passed him last night. ;)

If, as you say, 31 teams would get excited over the prospect of Draisaitl, maybe we can rob them blind?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
lol...I knew I'd get flamed. Of course, I don't want to trade him for garbage, I want to get a legit #1D and maybe some other assets. I think it's at least something to think about. The only downside is, of course, his friendship with McDavid. And Connor's subsequent feelings about it.

That's part of the problem too. If you have any hopes of ever re-signing McDavid you probably shouldnt trade his bff

Reactions: capazzo and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Kucherov actually passed him last night. ;)

If, as you say, 31 teams would get excited over the prospect of Draisaitl, maybe we can rob them blind?
Stop it Chiarelli, just stop it. Nothing is gained from packing off the 2nd most prolific player in the game and a player that is perfectly suited to play with McD. If there existed a Chris Pronger in the league I wouldn't do it because of the player relationship and one two play of McDrai. Any surgery that kills the patient is best left undone.

1676053138453.png

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I’m not ready to ship him out or anything…. But it is starting to get a bit concerning. It’s like he doesn’t even want to be there sometime. The body language is terrible.

He’s supposed to be able to run his own ship.. that’s how we win.
… not pout until he gets to ride with McDavid.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Stop it Chiarelli, just stop it. Nothing is gained from packing off the 2nd most prolific player in the game and a player that is perfectly suited to play with McD. If there existed a Chris Pronger in the league I wouldn't do it because of the player relationship and one two play of McDrai. Any surgery that kills the patient is best left undone.

View attachment 648114
Unlike Chiarelli, I wouldn't move him without something of at least equal value coming this way. Obviously we wouldn't land Makar, but even something like Fox, McAvoy, Heiskanen is what I had in mind. The only way to get that coveted #1D might be Draisaitl.

But, as you and others have commented, his friendship with McDavid is the fly in the proverbial ointment.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Now, I was willing to cut him some slack until I realized that the all-star game was merely a reflection of his entire season. And now, his offence, the one thing that makes all of his foibles somewhat bearable, has disappeared. Pointless in the last two games. Even worse, not at single shot on goal.

I'm sure Draisaitl appreciates you being willing to cut him some slack.

His last three games, including the all-star game, have admittedly been brutal. No, they aren't a reflection on Draisaitl's entire season. Not even close.

On that basis alone the histrionics are a bit much.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I'm sure Draisaitl appreciates you being willing to cut him some slack.

His last three games, including the all-star game, have admittedly been brutal. No, they aren't a reflection on Draisaitl's entire season. Not even close.

On that basis alone the histrionics are a bit much.
I don't need to cut him slack as he's definitely cut himself a lot of slack this year.

Not a reflection of his entire season so much as a magnification of his worst flaws. I thought he usually pushed hard this time of year. Maybe that's still to come, but I don't see any indication of it, which potentially indicates that something being radically wrong with him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes he is.

Draisaitl has reached the level of Stallone, Statham, Jet Li, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Van Damme and the rest of the Expendables crew

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If you want to keep McDavid, you're not trading his Robin.. pure and simple.

I might get frustrated with Drai's play at times throughout the year... but its a very long 82 game season and you can't expect any player to be at the top of their game for all 82 games. Draisaitl has the best or one of the best value contracts in the league and has been severely underpaid for a while. As hard as I am on him during some games, there's no way it means I want to trade him.

Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m not ready to ship him out or anything…. But it is starting to get a bit concerning. It’s like he doesn’t even want to be there sometime. The body language is terrible.

He’s supposed to be able to run his own ship.. that’s how we win.
… not pout until he gets to ride with McDavid.
Body language can be a terrible thing when you've been in pain for a whole calendar year and you're an elite athlete at the highest rung of sport, in a very physical sport and you just have to keep soldiering on in the trenches and with no end to the bombing in sight.

Drai has an extremely high pain threshold and even he is limited by this pain of injury that he's been playing through. Its been a shitty time for him and the worst he's experienced in his career this last 11mths.

Still, Drai has done quite well considering how limiting his injuries can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad