Is Dmitry Orlov the best Caps dman this season?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
With tracks only if you are saying that anything having to do with Orpik last season was typical of Orpik's game. As has been mentioned numerous times. Orpik was injured all season including a concussion in the playoffs

Orpik's most typical defensive highlight is him pushing the player who just scored on top of Holtby after getting burned

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Anecdotes are not a good substitute for larger evidence.

There's more than just one occurence for Schmidt, I just gave an example.

they all deliver pizzas, my frjend. its a relative term. you know that. do you think Schmidt or any other D on the team is prone to the pizza flip anything like Orlov??

Orlov is the best at throwing pizzas, that's for sure. When you look at Schmidt and Orlov, you have one guy that throws pizzas more than the other, but defends better because he's physically stronger and is capable of knocking forwards down in puck battles.

When Orlov or Schmidt are at their worst, they're both garbage. When they're at their best, Orlov brings more to the table. He has a better shot from the point, better hands and as a result scores more.

Going back to the original statement that Orlov was receiving less crap than he should, I don't agree. We just spent 4 months straight in summer talking about Orlov's game and whether or not he fits on this Capitals team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Orlov is the best at throwing pizzas, that's for sure. When you look at Schmidt and Orlov, you have one guy that throws pizzas more than the other, but defends better because he's physically stronger and is capable of knocking forwards down in puck battles.

When Orlov or Schmidt are at their worst, they're both garbage. When they're at their best, Orlov brings more to the table. He has a better shot from the point, better hands and as a result scores more.

Going back to the original statement that Orlov was receiving less crap than he should, I don't agree. We just spent 4 months straight in summer talking about Orlov's game and whether or not he fits on this Capitals team.

I don't think the Capitals believe that Orlov defends better than Schmidt. They choose both Schmidt and Chorney to pk before they use Orlov in that role.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

Exactly.

You can take the good with the bad with Orlov because there's actually good. Last year I think he was top 20 in NHL or something in ES points per 60.

They both screw up - but Schmidt doesn't really do anything well... that's the issue.

Schmidt's potential is a 3rd line D guy. Orlov still has potential.

That being said, I think both still need to be upgraded for any chance of a playoff run. Schmidt especially.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone who says Schmidt doesn't do anything well is completely undervaluing transition hockey. Schmidt is the best defenseman on the team at leading the breakout, and is a borderline elite in that category.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone who says Schmidt doesn't do anything well is completely undervaluing transition hockey. Schmidt is the best defenseman on the team at leading the breakout, and is a borderline elite in that category.

Schmidt is the fastest skater on the team. He is faster than Johansson. His explosion of a stop to full speed is impressive. If he started to finish the opportunities he gets, he would be a real impact player.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd like to see Schmidt get a better opportunity this season, since it's possible Alzner and/or Orlov will be gone and they will need to know what they have with Schmidt going into the offseason (mainly if he's capable of holding down a top 4 role permanently since I think he has clearly already proven himself as a good option on the bottom pairing). He has a weak shot and some of his defensive zone coverage could improve, but he's a very good passer and good in transition. He's also been good on the PK in his limited time there, though I'm not sure if he would be an effective PP player given his shot.

I'd like to see Schmidt alongside Carlson or Niskanen for an extended time (10-15 games) to see how they perform. Give the 9-2/27-74 pairings some time, and then give Schmidt some time in the top 4.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
He has a very afwul shot. In the middle of the game (against Bruins, when it was 3-0) he got an A++++ chance to score, but he missed the net, by a wide margin. 20 seconds later, he had another good chance, from the same position, but once again it was an afwul shot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd like to see Schmidt alongside Carlson or Niskanen for an extended time (10-15 games) to see how they perform. Give the 9-2/27-74 pairings some time, and then give Schmidt some time in the top 4.

We have sort of been over this before with other players, but.....Schmidt played with Carlson a lot last season with Orpik out. Carlson played his offensive leaning game and Schmidt watched his back. He did not jump into the play like he does playing with Orpik. If he was partnered with Carlson, one of Carlson or Schmidt would play that safe game. You either hold back the player that should be your best offensive producer on the defense OR you don't give Schmidt a chance to grow his offensive game.

You may not think that is how they should play, but that is how the Caps will have them play

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He has a very afwul shot. In the middle of the game (against Bruins, when it was 3-0) he got an A++++ chance to score, but he missed the net, by a wide margin. 20 seconds later, he had another good chance, from the same position, but once again it was an afwul shot.

Yes, if he could shoot with more accuracy he'd have several goals right now. Orlov has 1. There's no question that the chances created by Schmidt are on the rise. Lets give him some time to be better prepared that his game is working and giving him these chances and to work on his shot.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How many of those can you find?

I don't have a file where I compile all the turnovers by every Caps player, but if I went through all the goals scored against us last year, I'd find a few that were caused by a Schmidt turnover. It's hockey, players turn the puck over all the time. Even the safe guys like Alzner and Niskanen can get caught from time to time.

Seems like we're trying to vilify Orlov here. By the way, this exact turnover was one of the events that led to our demise in the playoffs. Because of his bad play in general, Trotz was considering to scratch Schmidt in game 4. With Orpik suspended for a hit to Maatta's head, Chorney was already in by default. After the turnover, Trotz scratched Schmidt to play Mike Weber. The rest is history.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There are turnovers and there are glaring blunders. We all know who had lead in the latter category. Being honest isn't vilifying in my book.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There are turnovers and there are glaring blunders. We all know who had lead in the latter category. Being honest isn't vilifying in my book.

You want to see a massive blunder by the two of them at the same time. Go back to game 1 against the Pens. Both Orlov and Schmidt try to hit Bonino who dodges them easily and Lovejoy scores on the 2vs0. That was the first goal by the Pens in the series. Watching this, I knew we were in trouble and I sensed the 2nd round exit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Question: What Caps defenseman looked good in the Penguins series?

Answer: None.

Carlson looked good, he was decent defensively and offensively he scored some big goals. Alzner and Niskanen weren't bad, until Alzner went down in game 6. From that point, Nisky sucked for the rest of the game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carlson was on the ice for 10 goals against in the playoffs, most on the team. The only defenseman who was even close was Niskanen at 9. Next worst were Alzner and Niskanen at 6.

That's not looking good, to me.

For all the hate Orlov received, he was only on the ice for 2 playoff goals against last year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tough to be on for goals against stapled to the bench.

And how "good" does any defenseman on the series losing side look after series in most cases?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You want to see a massive blunder by the two of them at the same time. Go back to game 1 against the Pens. Both Orlov and Schmidt try to hit Bonino who dodges them easily and Lovejoy scores on the 2vs0. That was the first goal by the Pens in the series. Watching this, I knew we were in trouble and I sensed the 2nd round exit.

Embarrassing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson was on the ice for 10 goals against in the playoffs, most on the team. The only defenseman who was even close was Niskanen at 9. Next worst were Alzner and Niskanen at 6.

That's not looking good, to me.

For all the hate Orlov received, he was only on the ice for 2 playoff goals against last year.

did you want to check who orlov was playing against vs what the others were? Carlson had 12pts in 12 games. Orlov took a scratch. Coaching bias?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Schmidt got scratched in the playoffs for a guy who is currently in the AHL.

That shows Schmidt isn't that great. If you're getting scratched for Mike Weber you're probably one of the weakest links that should be moved.

Schmidt just doesn't do anything good besides skate. If people are pointing out his main thing he's good at is passing the puck out of his own zone - that's not good.

Defensively he gets pushed around and offensively he has a very below average shot and isn't a creator either. The guy has only 32 points in 162 games. That's a one way defensive type production player - but he's not even that good on defense. Gets pushed around, has costly turnovers at the worst times, and isn't very good at blocking shots.

He's been the weakest every day player on Caps team for awhile now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Schmidt getting scratched in favor of Mike Weber isn't an indictment of Schmidt, it's an indictment of Trotz.

And passing out of the zone is one of the best ways a D can actually play defense. I think people are still stuck on defense as blocking shots, clearing the crease, and hitting people instead of doing something far more important: preventing the other team from having the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad