Is Dmitry Orlov the best Caps dman this season?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
by all indications the Caps and Orlov/agent have a verbal agreement that if Orlov signed his contract which was less than his season last season would have earned that the Caps would play him higher in the lineup.

Ahh. I see.

There should have been a non-performance clause in the verbal agreement.

Well, in that case, our options are limited. We must deliberately injure him during practice

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yeah. Niskanen by a country mile.

If someone has the time to look into this, I'd be interested in seeing who Orlov's out on the ice with and against. My impression is that he gets sheltered minutes with defensively-solid players. I know he doesn't kill penalties.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Verbal agreements mean exactly jack when push comes to shove. I'm sure there was some discussion that Orlov would be allowed to sink or swim with an increased role. Hell it's beneficial to the Caps to make sure about the player before they trade or expose him in the expansion. However, if he's sinking, they'll treat him just like they would any player who struggles. The idea that he's unbenchable or can't be demoted a pair is silly. Simple fact is he hasn't been "that bad" aside from a few typical blunders and THAT is why he hasn't played down IMO.

At this point to scratch the guy, he would have to show a downward trend like he did last year over a lot of games, or they'll simply ride it out as bumps in the road like they do any other regular.

This is the time they MUST see Orlov play. They have to know if he can survive with an increased role before they make a long-term decision.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I dont think Caps are desperate to move Orpik up a pair right now.

Orpik-Schmidt is playing OK and there is no pressing to do much about the situation.

I think Schmidt is playing even better than last year, he just can't get the puck on net. **** happens. We have Bowey waiting for that 3RD spot anyway who's good at offense.

I believe one of Orpik/Schmidt should be gone next year or year after that anyway. I mean, upgraded.

Carlzner
X-Niskanen

then
Orpik-Bowey is good
or
and Schmidt-Bowey is cheap

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Could Orlov not switch to winger if d-man didn't work out? His stick handling and calmness is amazing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Could Orlov not switch to winger if d-man didn't work out? His stick handling and calmness is amazing.

I think its a common mistaken idea that an offensively skilled defenseman that fails on defensive grounds could/would be a good offensive forward. I am not sure exactly had to word this, but what makes Mike Green so strong offensively is his ability to handle the puck from the back of the team.

What skills give him an advantage from the defense in many cases don't apply at forward.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's the only one actually creating offense from the back end or at least attempting to. Without him this team would be utterly screwed.

His defensive issues are also overrated because of the Isles game where he looked really bad.

Probably tied with/slightly below Alzner after Niskanen so far.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd go...

Alzner
Niskanen
Orpik
Schmidt
Carlson
Orlov

I'm a big Orlov fan but man does he make some huge mistakes on a nightly basis :(

Orpik hasn't quite returned to his first year but he's been MUCH better than last season.

Schmidt has been solid, doesn't seem to make many mistakes(although Orpik has been a rock making sure he's covering for Schmidt when he goes flying into the O-zone)

Alzner and Niskanen nothing really needs said. They're smart, they're solid and they compliment each other very well when playing together.

Carlson is either way more hurt than we know and he's playing though it or he's just having one of those years...He was fantastic last year IMO.

Chorney has even been decent when filling in. No change I'd play him over any of the top six but he's a great injury plan short term.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don't get why Schmidt gets such a rough ride on this board as being defensively poor or inconsistent, yet Orlov often gets a free pass. He's a good defenseman, especially given his age and cap hit.

And the notion that Orlov is the only D-man creating offense - come again? Carlson and Niskanen have more points than Orly, while Schmidt is only two points behind Orlov despite having played four games fewer, with less TOI and almost no power play time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson is either way more hurt than we know and he's playing though it.

I would have to agree with this. Just because he has been so slow. Only recently have we seen the explosion in his skating on display. I had wondered if it was lingering from his broken ankle last season but Trotz admitted that was hurt in the world cup.

That would also tend to support the reason they used Orlov with him. Carlson hasn't really seemed any more mobile than Alzner or Orpik. My feeling is that his game returns with his skating.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Correct me if I'm wrong - but does mike green have twice or three times as many goals now as the entire Caps blue line?

I still will never understand GMBM giving a old Orpik 5 years for 5.5 and then not match green right after for 6 for 3. Green is such a better player and we still have years left on that Orpik deal.

Caps really haven't gotten any better under GMBM. They are more deep, but this team needed a major move and not just glencross, winnik, elker type moves to get there.... where's caps getting a Kessel? Where's caps trading for Gaborik/Carter/Lucia/etc? Where's Caps trading first rd picks for huge additions like Blsckhawks have every year?

Instead, Caps have more 1st rd picks from their drafted system than any team in NHL on the NHL roster - and this team is still nowhere more close to a cup. Second rd looks familiar again unless something really comes along and sparks this team/takes them to next level - and every in-season move by GMBM so far hasn't had that happen.

Ovi deserved more urgency around him in his price. Vrana, Samsonov, Burro, Johanson, etc are fine - but they've all been wasted opportunities for Ovi to win now in his prime too. No way cup teams like Chicago, Pitt, la, etc would have done this with the talent Washington has.

Instead, caps are still obsessed with their drafted players. That hasn't changed one bit between GMGM and GMBM. Sometimes you have to just go all in - and Caps have just folded and played conservative too long. Yes, you'll last longer in a game this way - but someone more aggressive ends up busting you anyways and you end up still a franchise that made no real attempt to really try to put best roster on ice for Ovi in his prime.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I don't get why Schmidt gets such a rough ride on this board as being defensively poor or inconsistent, yet Orlov often gets a free pass. He's a good defenseman, especially given his age and cap hit.

And the notion that Orlov is the only D-man creating offense - come again? Carlson and Niskanen have more points than Orly, while Schmidt is only two points behind Orlov despite having played four games fewer, with less TOI and almost no power play time.

As of right now we look like nothing is going to change from scoring 2 goals/game in playoffs. You can't expect different results. History repeats itself and this caps team core is same as many past years basically that scored 2 gpg basically every playoffs.

Having Orlov AND Schmidt will lose Caps playoff games in low scoring playoff games again. If offense isn't adding a huge addition - then orlov/Schmidt both need to go tiboost blue line for holtby as Caps need all hell they can get because caps have scored 2 or less goals in like 65+ percent of playoff games recently.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As of right now we look like nothing is going to change from scoring 2 goals/game in playoffs. You can't expect different results. History repeats itself and this caps team core is same as many past years basically that scored 2 gpg basically every playoffs.

Having Orlov AND Schmidt will lose Caps playoff games in low scoring playoff games again. If offense isn't adding a huge addition - then orlov/Schmidt both need to go tiboost blue line for holtby as Caps need all hell they can get because caps have scored 2 or less goals in like 65+ percent of playoff games recently.

Part (most?) of the reason the Capitals have struggled to score in the playoffs under Trotz is because they have struggled in transition. Look at how many easy goals Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay scored in the playoffs compared to the Capitals. One key difference in philosophy is those teams value high-end puck movers on the first pairing (Dumoulin-Letang and Hedman-Stralman) while the Capitals have settled for safer options on the top pairing (Alzner-Niskanen and Orpik-Carlson). It'll likely keep the goals against a bit lower, but it is certainly going to impact production on the other side of the ice too.

Orlov is likely gone at the end of this season anyways, but I don't really see the point in dumping two of your better transition defensemen when the Capitals have a top-tier goaltender that is able to erase mistakes on a team that is struggling to score in the playoffs. They should be looking to win games 5-3 in the playoffs, not 2-1 (there is much more variance in low-scoring games).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
much of the goal scoring in the modern Stanley cup playoffs is a physical battle for that 10 ft around the net. Transition players like Orlov and Schmidt and even Niskanen are vulnerable in that battle.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
much of the goal scoring in the modern Stanley cup playoffs is a physical battle for that 10 ft around the net. Transition players like Orlov and Schmidt and even Niskanen are vulnerable in that battle.

I guess. But Pens won it last year with Domoulin, Cole, Lovejoy, Daley, Schultz, Maata, Letang. That group doesn't scream slot-clearing toughness, and definitely tilts more toward the 'transition players' you refer to.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Dangles easily impress the masses. I agree with you on Schmidt.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Dangles easily impress the masses. I agree with you on Schmidt.

Orlov's a lot more physical and doesn't fall like a house of cards when he collides with another player. Schmidt is like Orlov but with less upside. Give me #9 every time over #88.

Orlov isn't getting a free pass from anyone, we've all been complaining about his pizza/60.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov gets a lot of slack...only when a glaring mistake (Pizza is served) happens do his ardent supporters begrudgingly admit to the failure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov's a lot more physical and doesn't fall like a house of cards when he collides with another player. Schmidt is like Orlov but with less upside. Give me #9 every time over #88.

Orlov isn't getting a free pass from anyone, we've all been complaining about his pizza/60.

Schmidt doesn't deliver pizzas. If Orlov made the decisions that Schmidt does, he would be a star. If Schmidt could finish, he would be a star.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess. But Pens won it last year with Domoulin, Cole, Lovejoy, Daley, Schultz, Maata, Letang. That group doesn't scream slot-clearing toughness, and definitely tilts more toward the 'transition players' you refer to.

I am looking at the highlights from game 6. Kessel scores a soft goal on a long wrist shot. they score 2 ppg's that were scored on the doorstep of the crease. Oshie scored his slot shot for a ppg. Williams skated out from behind the next and scored on the doorstep an evg. Carlson scored a 5 on 3 goal to tie.

Bonino scores the winner on a rebound in the paint.

The only transition goal shouldn't have gone in. The Pens had a soft goal and 3 dirty goals to win that game

Its just one game but it was a critical game and is pretty descriptive.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I am looking at the highlights from game 6. Kessel scores a soft goal on a long wrist shot. they score 2 ppg's that were scored on the doorstep of the crease. Oshie scored his slot shot for a ppg. Williams skated out from behind the next and scored on the doorstep an evg. Carlson scored a 5 on 3 goal to tie.

Bonino scores the winner on a rebound in the paint.

The only transition goal shouldn't have gone in. The Pens had a soft goal and 3 dirty goals to win that game

Its just one game but it was a critical game and is pretty descriptive.

The pens got those chances because caps failed transition in the first place.

Pens defense was Letang/Maatta/Dumolin/Daley/Cole/Lovejoy/Schultz. Who are the crease clearers there? Who clears the crease on the Sharks? Hawks? Lightning?

Caps got the baddest crease clearer in the league in Orpik and he cost them the series. At the deadline we got Mike Weber who only clears the crease... and he cleared it right to Hornqvist in game 4. So the answer is to double down on stupid?

Crease clearing is literally praying that your player pounces on a loose puck/ties up the right player. Puck bounces to the right guy and there's nothing you can do.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have no issue with "crease clearing" defensemen so long as the rest of their game is solid. Unfortunately, many of those types of defensemen lack the mobility and skills with the puck to contribute to a sufficient level elsewhere.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The pens got those chances because caps failed transition in the first place.

Pens defense was Letang/Maatta/Dumolin/Daley/Cole/Lovejoy/Schultz. Who are the crease clearers there? Who clears the crease on the Sharks? Hawks? Lightning?

Caps got the baddest crease clearer in the league in Orpik and he cost them the series. At the deadline we got Mike Weber who only clears the crease... and he cleared it right to Hornqvist in game 4. So the answer is to double down on stupid?

Crease clearing is literally praying that your player pounces on a loose puck/ties up the right player. Puck bounces to the right guy and there's nothing you can do.

Sharks defense is filled with these. Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Martin and Dillon. Their defense actually had 6 of these last season when there were those 5 and Roman Polak. :laugh:

Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson. Duncan Keith is not that physical there but he's really good taking away sticks around the crease.

Coburn, Sustr and Garrison for Tampa. Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman too at degree but like Keith they are really good at taking the sticks away. Both can be physical too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps got the baddest crease clearer in the league in Orpik and he cost them the series. At the deadline we got Mike Weber who only clears the crease... and he cleared it right to Hornqvist in game 4. So the answer is to double down on stupid?.

With tracks only if you are saying that anything having to do with Orpik last season was typical of Orpik's game. As has been mentioned numerous times. Orpik was injured all season including a concussion in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad