Is Dion Phaneuf done?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I expect him to not play like a total stiff defensively.

How the hell does this guy get through 2 guys so easily?

I mean Kessel, I understand because he is a total BUST defensively, but our Captain?

Embarrassing.

Ahh, if only he could get in Gardiners head and say 'get it deep you ****ing moron.....'

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If you watched the Leafs you would know that Kaberle had a "No Shoot Clause" in his contract.

Actually no, he put up career high shot totals in Toronto.

Obviously he was pass first but when he did decide to shoot he was accurate.

He won the All star skills competition for accuracy.

If you watched hockey you would know that. :naughty:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Oh yes, just a brilliant defensive display, allowing Sidney Crosby to get behind him for a breakaway.

Another Norris worthy play right there...:shakehead

are you a butthurt Flames fan hoping Phaneuf fails because all you have to show for him is Matt Stajan?

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
What happened to the kid we seen years back smashing ppl at the world Jrs. and playing that hard hitting role with Calgary while potting loads of goals with that rocket shot? Is it possible that his body has broken down to early... His career looks like its on a steady decline

As a Leaf although he has had a few bright spots.. overall he has been HORRIBLE.. cant play D (caused 4 goals last night) is not hitting, and can not hit the net... oh wait.. he did hit the net once and broke Lupul's arm.. Poor lupes thought he was in the safest spot he could be with Dion shooting.. aside from a beautiful GF this guy is a complete mess!

Don't give me its one bad game BS... been a few years now @ he makes 6.5 mil a year!

Ya I long for the RW days when Dion would run at people "smashing" them as you say while taking himself out of the play and giving up odd man rushes.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
Oh yes, just a brilliant defensive display, allowing Sidney Crosby to get behind him for a breakaway.

How did he "allow Crosby to get behind him" when it was Kostka with the crappy pinch and Garbo with the almost tape to tape pass?

You guys are nuts. Phaneuf has been excellent for the 1st 3 games.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

One play against the World's best player. Good example! That goal wasn't even his fault. Did Malkin not give away the puck to JVR who scored? I guess he's awful too, right?

Watch the flippin' games before commenting. If you did, you'd have noticed his solid defensive play both of those games.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Phaneuf practically kept Crosby in check the whole night, and one play in which the best player in the world beats Phaneuf to the outside makes him a stiff? For **** sakes dude.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Ya I long for the RW days when Dion would run at people "smashing" them as you say while taking himself out of the play and giving up odd man rushes.

Thats the McCabe syndrome. Fine pre (first) lockout, but the game changed.

Phaneuf appears to be reaching a happy medium of still playing physical without getting trapped all the time laying the body.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Lol. Dion has looked incredible this season, absolutely incredible. I knew as soon answer lost this place would be unbearable, but come on...

I wouldn't go that far... Incredible? I think phaneuf is overpaid for what he brings to the table but I certainly don't think he's finished.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Phaneuf practically kept Crosby in check the whole night, and one play in which the best player in the world beats Phaneuf to the outside makes him a stiff? For **** sakes dude.

He didn't beat him to the outside.

He got behind him..our "all-star" defenceman.

What was going through his head?

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012

Shame on Phaneuf for not catching arguably the best player in the world after Grabo's giveaway.

:shakehead

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He didn't beat him to the outside.

He got behind him..our "all-star" defenceman.

What was going through his head?
One play (that wasn't even his mistake), does not make a player bad. I'll use the example again since you ignored it. Does Malkin's giveaway that led to a goal make him bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Correction.

Shame on Phaneuf for not covering him in the first place.

Instead he decided to get brainy and let Crosby get behind him.

He's on the far side. Kostka is the d-man on that side. Look at where Kostka is.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Tomas Kaberle has a better shooting percentage than Dion Phaneuf.

These are facts.

Sorry you don't accept facts in your worlds.

5.9 versus 6.0

Kaberle has taken 200ish fewer shots than Phaneuf in 400 more games. Hence why after that one good year, Kaberle-McCabe was the most predictable duo in the league.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
By 0.1%? Thing is, Kaberle never shot in his last few years in Toronto. Did you know that?

In his last full season in Toronto he put up his 2nd highest shot total in his career with 158.

And guess what...he didn't injure his own teammates doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad