Is Crosby The GOAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Bourque gets underrated in these discussions:

5 Norris trophies
19 times in the top 5, including his first 17 years (top 4 actually, he never finished 5th)
The 3 times he wasn't in the top 5 were at the ages of 36, 37 and 39 (7th each time)

Just a staggering combination of elite level play and consistency.

Obviously still behind the top 4, but I think he has a legitimate claim to the #5 spot (along with 5 or 6 other guys).

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
Can we stop stop asking "Is (insert phenom player here) the GOAT?"?

From now on say "Is (insert phenom player here) the GOATOTG?"

Greatest if all time other than Gretzky

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
11 awards to 9 awards. And actually jäger won his third Lindsay on the rangers

For the pens jagr won 5 art Ross. 1 hart 2 Lindsay
just count em up eh? 11 to 9?

it's not like they're all equal. being second all time counts for quite a bit.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Why does it seem like every other day this type of thread appears? I wasn't even alive to watch Gretzky, but I can 100% without a doubt tell you that #99 > anyone else
He has almost 1000 more points than Jagr who is 2nd all time.
It's okay though, only 1,725 more points and Crosby will pass Gretzky. Just give it like 30 years... It'll happen eventually

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Gretzky and two Gretzky clones against Crosby and two Crosby clones. Each get two average defencemen and an average goaltender. Who wins? I think it's no contest. Team Gretzky would have the puck 70% of the time or more. The Crosbys would certainly make good use of their 30% and score quite a few, but not as much as the Gretzkys in their 70%.

Two Gretzkys and an average winger against three Crosbys – now that's one Team Crosby might win. Just maybe. But then, maybe not.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As a Pens fan, I would take Crosby over Jagr 10 times out of 10. They have similar RS resumes, but Crosby is blowing him out of water in the playoffs. Also, franchise C > Franchise W every day. That’s while ignoring the fact that 68 asked for a trade to leave PIT.
well that last point shows a little bitterness....

to be clear, I'd take Crosby over jagr too. all I'm saying is it's not a slam dunk and there IS am argument for jagr.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
11 awards to 9 awards. And actually jäger won his third Lindsay on the rangers

For the pens jagr won 5 art Ross. 1 hart 2 Lindsay
who cares whatvteam they won them with. i mean i guess ifnyoure trying to argue "who had the best career AS a penguin" then sure. the rest 9f the world d9esnt care. the rest of the world cares "who was the best player who was a penguin".

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Gretzky and two Gretzky clones against Crosby and two Crosby clones. Each get two average defencemen and an average goaltender. Who wins? I think it's no contest. Team Gretzky would have the puck 70% of the time or more. The Crosbys would certainly make good use of their 30% and score quite a few, but not as much as the Gretzkys in their 70%.

Two Gretzkys and an average winger against three Crosbys – now that's one Team Crosby might win. Just maybe. But then, maybe not.

The Gretzky’s would never have the puck because team Crosby would skate circles around them.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The Gretzky’s would never have the puck because team Crosby would skate circles around them.

No matter how fast you skater, the puck is faster. Oh, and Gretzky's brain is faster too.

Team Gretzky would pass the puck around and Team Crosby would play catch-up most of the game.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

When people say things like that it proves that they didn't watch Gretzky play. Gretzky had incredible edgework. Playing keep away was probably the thing he was the best at. His vision and playmaking was second to his ability to make sure you never touched the puck. Sure there was more plugs in the league for him to toy with back then but even the high end guys had issues getting the puck from him.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
From a skill perspective, how is he superior to Jaromir Jagr in his prime?

Also, do you really think Crosby's shot is something that puts him in the conversation for greatest player ever? He's adept at deflecting shots and knocking pucks out of the air and has keen anticipation around the net, but he's not exactly an all-time great shooter.
They're both similar in that they're impossible to knock off the puck. Jagr's hand were probably better but otherwise I'd say they're similar. His shot- it's certainly not on the level of Laine or any of the all-time greats when it comes to pure power. But it's still fantastic and he's great at placing it. He has some wicked snipes on YouTube you can surely look up.

My overall point is that ultimately, his all-around game is why I think he's up there. Deflections, passing, scoring, utter dominance in the corners, even defensively he's no slouch. He just does everything at an elite level.

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
No

This guy is

WayneGretzky_Perm-500x359.jpg
Is that at his Mom's house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad