Is Crosby still a top 5 player?

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
This guestion is very valid. NHL players retain up to 90% of their peak scoring touch up to 29, but after that the decline is very steep.

At 31, it's only 80% and at 33 only 70%. Crosby is clearly in the age of steep scoring decline and it is of no surprise that he's not among the league leaders in points per game anymore. It's likely that he never gets there again for an extended period of time.

Points_aging_1.png
Love to see Ovechkins graph. Make sure you take into account he is 2 years older

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not for the last two seasons. He is still a top-10 players. But I think with the rise of new high end talent, and Crosby aging, his days being a perrenial top-3 player is over.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah, still top 5, thanks to Philadelphia, 9 points in 4 games and 15 points in 6 playoffs games last season :sarcasm:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
1) Points, while important, are not the end all measure of offensive play
2) 30 games is way too quick to raise or lower a player like Crosby
3) The Pens team is in a major funk
4) Crosby usually performs better in the second half of the season

I'm not in the "three year grace period" camp like daver, but slow down people.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Over the course of a full regular season, he's somewhere 3-5 for me. If I have to win an important game tomorrow, he's still my first pick.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If I'm picking one player on my team for a 7 game playoff series, I might still be taking Crosby number 1. If the question is for a full season plus playoffs, he's certainly still top 5.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1) Points, while important, are not the end all measure of offensive play
2) 30 games is way too quick to raise or lower a player like Crosby
3) The Pens team is in a major funk
4) Crosby usually performs better in the second half of the season

I'm not in the "three year grace period" camp like daver, but slow down people.

Yea, I understand with a lesser year last year and his PPG this year it's a question people are going to discuss, but he's played well last year and a lot can change in the next 2/3rds of a season. The difference between Crosby at 23rd in PPG and 7th is 4 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad