Is Craig Berube going to get replaced before next season starts?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The only way he is back next year is if we strike out and are not able to sign any of the other plethora of coaches out there. His contract is up so they dont have to fire him or anything, he will just be there floating in the wind not getting a job anywhere else because everyone knows hes awful. So if we miss out on Babcock, Tippett, McLellan, Carlyle and every other coach out there known to man besides Tortorella then yes I think its possible hes back. But honestly I think Terry Murray is the backup plan.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Honestly I believe that the D-men as a whole stepped up under trying circumstances and are not the reason this team missed the PostSeason... Just how few goals does a Team have to give up to get the Team into the POs when they score two Goals or less consistently throughout the Season?

Berube should have found the key to unlock the malaise that allowed this Team as a whole to not play up to their collective offensive abilities... I really have no problem with the way he handled the D given the hand he was dealt and the decisions on who to sit when he has too many D-men and most all of them on the grunt level... He at times had to sit a D-man who is playing decently to allow others to dress... Hexy has to find a way to obtain or develop exceptional ones and have the depth ones naturally fall into place. Had the Offense done its job, Berube would easily be keeping his job; the onus falls on Chief that they haven't.

Is it not glaringly obvious to you that this defense is trash? I suggest you go back and watch quite a games this year where the d plays the puck back and forth to each other before trying to start a break out. They handle the puck like it was a grenade about to go off.

Losing Timonen and then trading away Coburn has certainly made the PK for this team worse but a fair share belongs on the coaching staff for making poor decisions.

Having a terrible transition game really put this team in a bind offense wise.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i refuse to beleive this team/org. makes the VERY same mistake again like they did with Lavi.

ie. hanging on to him over the summer only to fire him and seek a replacement out of desperation in the early new season..

no way that happens TWICE in a row with coachs..no way

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All I know is, after these last 3 games, one way or another I personally will have watched my last game with Berube behind the bench.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Is it not glaringly obvious to you that this defense is trash? I suggest you go back and watch quite a games this year where the d plays the puck back and forth to each other before trying to start a break out. They handle the puck like it was a grenade about to go off.

Losing Timonen and then trading away Coburn has certainly made the PK for this team worse but a fair share belongs on the coaching staff for making poor decisions.

Having a terrible transition game really put this team in a bind offense wise.

I hear you and get your point... I would not dismiss it as a main reason if the Team was not able to put things together and defeat quality teams, losing to the lesser teams. If the D was so bad as to keep the O from being able to score enough then wouldn't that be the case even more so with the better teams?

I'm in no way trying to say that this is a good group of D-men... what I am trying to say is that they are average at best but to Berube's credit they have been managed in a manner where they do the job... albeit not flashy... I'm also saying that the reason for the Flyers missing the PostSeason does not rest on the D-men; they are playing within their means and with some exceptions are keeping the Goals Against to a number that this O should overcome more often than not.

Again... a team with such bad D as to hold the Team back would play worse against quality opponents than against the non-playoff type teams... This Team just does not score enough on a consistent basis -- especially on the Road -- to be a contender, as those coupe 0-0 shootout games demonstrate ... and that is on Berube... but given the D-men that he has been supplied with, Chief has handled them well, all things considered... Consistency and motivation in every Game and in each Period is their downfall, and it is Berube's job to correct it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I hear you and get your point... I would not dismiss it as a main reason if the Team was not able to put things together and defeat quality teams, losing to the lesser teams. If the D was so bad as to keep the O from being able to score enough then wouldn't that be the case even more so with the better teams?

I'm in no way trying to say that this is a good group of D-men... what I am trying to say is that they are average at best but to Berube's credit they have been managed in a manner where they do the job... albeit not flashy... I'm also saying that the reason for the Flyers missing the PostSeason does not rest on the D-men; they are playing within their means and with some exceptions are keeping the Goals Against to a number that this O should overcome more often than not.

Again... a team with such bad D as to hold the Team back would play worse against quality opponents than against the on-playoff type teams... This Team just does not score enough on a consistent basis -- especially on the Road -- to be a contender... and that is on Berube... but given the D-men that he has been given, Chief has handled them well, all things considered... Consistency and motivation in every Game and in each Period is their downfall, and it is Berube's job to correct it.

I certainly agree with you that this team needs to be better on the road and better against non-playoff teams. The problem with the D isn't so much the defense end of the game it is their lack of being able to push the play up ice effectively which in turn hurts the offense. The only thing I think that really effects this team is how they play emotionally against the better teams since I don't have an answer to why they lose against non-playoff teams.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I certainly agree with you that this team needs to be better on the road and better against non-playoff teams. The problem with the D isn't so much the defense end of the game it is their lack of being able to push the play up ice effectively which in turn hurts the offense. The only thing I think that really effects this team is how they play emotionally against the better teams since I don't have an answer to why they lose against non-playoff teams.

I see your point on not being able to push the play up ice being a concern... but why would they not have a tougher time against the good teams? My point is that as flawed as the D is as a whole, it is good enough to win enough games to reach the PostSeason based on the results against the Quality Teams... it was that same group that looked so good in beating the Hawks and in shutting down the Pens both games this past week -- granted, Mason had a lot to do with that -- Even with the Canes the Flyers only gave up two Goals... which should have been enough to win.

Even with this rag-tag D they are still a better than average team... and if the scoring is being held back by the D-men inability to push the puck up the ice, it would be the case most every game. It has to be more on the O since they get shut down more often than they get blown out, as I see it... So wouldn't that be a matter of the entire Team being flat rather than a case of the D-men coming up flat against bad teams but being able to get the puck up the ice better against the good teams and at Home?

It has to be more of a mental concern than a matter of a bad Defense... in this case, at least.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Voted. I am getting sick and tired of Pierre McGuire and his, berube is doing a great job. After listening to such drivel, I would love to have the ability to punch people on tv or through the phone line. As I told my local flyers fans buddies, if berube is back, I am going to cheer for the Penguins as my fav team.m. And I have been a flyers fan since 1973.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
There was a reason why the Hartford Whalers fired Maguire after six months as the head coach and the players had no respect for him.

images

:laugh:

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
How would you guys feel about Dave Hakstol? As a UND fan, I would be very disappointed to see him leave but I do think he deserves a shot if he wants one. Probably won't be leaving but I would just like to hear some of your input.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No voters:

bennysflyers16, Boxscore, Broad st phantom, DrinkFightFlyers, ericWONT, FlyersFan61290, Philadelphia Ducks, Schmidty324, SgtJoseph, SuchySays, xifentoozlerix, Zod

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How would you guys feel about Dave Hakstol? As a UND fan, I would be very disappointed to see him leave but I do think he deserves a shot if he wants one. Probably won't be leaving but I would just like to hear some of your input.

Niiiiiiiiiiice

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No voters:

bennysflyers16, Boxscore, Broad st phantom, DrinkFightFlyers, ericWONT, FlyersFan61290, Philadelphia Ducks, Schmidty324, SgtJoseph, SuchySays, xifentoozlerix, Zod

I said no UNLESS Babcock was available. Granted, I thought that was because they would get Babcock, not just anyone. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

r u a wizard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad