Is Craig Berube going to get replaced before next season starts?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Doc: "consensus of us all is that Berube has done a great job". F U.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Nbc really needs to clean house. Milbury, doc, Blackhawk announcer who I suck at spelling his name. Keep jonesy of course

SgtJoseph*

Did it ever occur to anyone on here that Berube might not be nearly as bad a coach as some on here think ? Not saying he is great, but he has a good record against playoff caliber teams , and with a little luck in shootouts we would have fared MUCH better .

No true top line D unit , a few players not quite as productive as hoped for etc, especially in secondary scoring . Just losing Kimmo alone for the season hurt in quite a few different ways . Our PP is pretty damn solid , but the PK has been down so go figure .... Hopefully during the off season a few things will shake out, and whoever the coach is might get a few more assets to help solidify the D and secondary scoring . Putting it all on Berube is a bit much in my view . Our home record is solid , which is when the coach gets the advantage with match ups etc .

I know MANY on here just flat out hate the guy, and even if our club went deep into the playoffs they would just say............we were lucky . I find that amusing .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Berube has to carry the can for the PK collapsing. Losing Kimmo shouldn't mean going from 7th to 29th.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
It isn't common that a coach of Babcock's ability becomes available so the Flyers have to try everything they can to bring him in. Tippett is a coach I would also be excited for.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
How would you guys feel about Dave Hakstol? As a UND fan, I would be very disappointed to see him leave but I do think he deserves a shot if he wants one. Probably won't be leaving but I would just like to hear some of your input.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Did it ever occur to anyone on here that Berube might not be nearly as bad a coach as some on here think ? Not saying he is great, but he has a good record against playoff caliber teams , and with a little luck in shootouts we would have fared MUCH better .

No true top line D unit , a few players not quite as productive as hoped for etc, especially in secondary scoring . Just losing Kimmo alone for the season hurt in quite a few different ways . Our PP is pretty damn solid , but the PK has been down so go figure .... Hopefully during the off season a few things will shake out, and whoever the coach is might get a few more assets to help solidify the D and secondary scoring . Putting it all on Berube is a bit much in my view . Our home record is solid , which is when the coach gets the advantage with match ups etc .

I know MANY on here just flat out hate the guy, and even if our club went deep into the playoffs they would just say............we were lucky . I find that amusing .

:laugh:

Yeah, he's done oh so well that other GMs can't believe we are missing the playoffs with our roster.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Did it ever occur to anyone on here that Berube might not be nearly as bad a coach as some on here think ?
yes, I'd say that a lot of the guys on here have given the fact that Berube might not be nearly as bad of a coach as we think some thought. Then came to the conclusion that of course he is that bad.
The GM and owner think that this is a PO team. Berube didn't get them there.
The D is bad but not that bad. First pair is weak but the second and third pairings are NHL average.
Losing to the dregs while beating the better teams in the league does not enhance your resume.
Inability to match up against opponents of the road.
Continuous shifting of lines for no reason. Why did it take 65 games to figure out that Raffl can play LW on the top line?
Jerking Mason's chain.
Things like this and others all add up to a guy who isn't HC material.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

No... not once over the second half or so of the Season.

Putting aside the Skills Competition failures... the Roster, while lacking in many ways, is good enough to play with the Big Boys. It is the Head Coach's job to bring out the consistency that is lacking -- and the lost Points are too often at Home and not just on the Road -- He has to find a way to make the Team give their all no matter the opponent or the situation. I must point out also that it is on the Road where good NHL Head Coaches come to the forefront as they outcoach the lesser lights.

His System is solid in that if the play it and give their total effort they can beat any team on any given night... even with the players he has been dealt... but since bringing out the best in his players is one of the most important jobs of a HC, and he obviously cannot do that with his players, he has failed and his Team has failed to make the PostSeason -- They had the opportunity as Ottawa has proven... but they gave up that opportunity after losing that Regulation win in Boston with under 15 seconds left -- Since he has failed to motivate his players to play to their upper talents in enough games, he is ultimately a bad Head Coach and should be let go for that reason. I believe that the GM Hextall should also share the blame as it happened under his watch... but I don't believe he should be replaced... I believe that he should learn from this and keep it as a major requirement in finding the next Head Coach to lead THIS Roster to the PostSeason... as well as make a few tweaks to it, while keeping the core intact. Tweak and hire the proper HC is his main objective... Well that and shedding Cap Space, of course.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Of course it occurred to us that he might not be a bad coach... but that was a year and a half ago and since then we've actually watched Flyers games and, using basic common sense, realized that he's an atrocious coach.

There are a handful of things that are completely the head coaches responsibility, he doesn't do a single one of them properly and he makes an already flawed roster look much worse than it actually is.

This isn't complicated and it's been explained to you many times, you just choose to ignore us when we do.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Somewhere someone put out there the idea that UND's coach, Dave Hakstol, might be on the radar as a possible replacement for Berube. It was said that he and Hextall have some ties since Ron's son Brett played there for him. Thoughts?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yes by a ****ing mile. This guy is clueless and we haven't had too many awful injuries this year, but still has been ****ing it up. This team is neutered because of him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I gotta say I'm surprised by the overwhelming "yes" response. I chose that option myself, but one thing that has me thinking he might not be done is that not many people really had us in the playoff picture before the season started. That includes article writers, hockey "experts", as well as the hfboards hivemind (see this poll, for example). At the end of the day, only Hextall's opinion matters, but I'm not perfectly confident in my answer and think there's a good chance Berube is given at least a chance to prove himself once more at the beginning of next season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I gotta say I'm surprised by the overwhelming "yes" response. I chose that option myself, but one thing that has me thinking he might not be done is that not many people really had us in the playoff picture before the season started. That includes article writers, hockey "experts", as well as the hfboards hivemind (see this poll, for example). At the end of the day, only Hextall's opinion matters, but I'm not perfectly confident in my answer and think there's a good chance Berube is given at least a chance to prove himself once more at the beginning of next season.

No, they made that mistake with Lavy. If you aren't sure, you don't let a guy start the season.

Hexy might well bring Berube back. I don't think it's justified.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How does this equation even make sense to the NBC team?

Top 5 salary in the NHL + missed the playoffs = Great job by Berube

How can that possible make any ****ing sense?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
How does this equation even make sense to the NBC team?

Top 5 salary in the NHL + missed the playoffs = Great job by Berube

How can that possible make any ****ing sense?

Just because your team is top 5 in salary in the NHL doesn't mean anything. Craig Berube isn't without his faults but this team isn't going anywhere with any coach at the moment. Until the defense is over hauled this team is going to flat out not reach its potential.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
There is so much wishful thinking going on right now.

I 100% believe he will be back next season. He embodies what the Flyers look for in a staff member: basically, an ex-goon with 0 hockey knowledge.

I don't think he'll get through the year, but I have no doubt he'll be behind the bench at the start of the season. This is realistic thinking. I hope I'm wrong.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I said no, but I think if Babcock is on the open market, he will be canned and the Flyers will (hopefully) make a push for him.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Just because your team is top 5 in salary in the NHL doesn't mean anything. Craig Berube isn't without his faults but this team isn't going anywhere with any coach at the moment. Until the defense is over hauled this team is going to flat out not reach its potential.

Honestly I believe that the D-men as a whole stepped up under trying circumstances and are not the reason this team missed the PostSeason... Just how few goals does a Team have to give up to get the Team into the POs when they score two Goals or less consistently throughout the Season?

Berube should have found the key to unlock the malaise that allowed this Team as a whole to not play up to their collective offensive abilities... I really have no problem with the way he handled the D given the hand he was dealt and the decisions on who to sit when he has too many D-men and most all of them on the grunt level... He at times had to sit a D-man who is playing decently to allow others to dress... Hexy has to find a way to obtain or develop exceptional ones and have the depth ones naturally fall into place. Had the Offense done its job, Berube would easily be keeping his job; the onus falls on Chief that they haven't.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
There is so much wishful thinking going on right now.

I 100% believe he will be back next season. He embodies what the Flyers look for in a staff member: basically, an ex-goon with 0 hockey knowledge.

I don't think he'll get through the year, but I have no doubt he'll be behind the bench at the start of the season. This is realistic thinking. I hope I'm wrong.

And then we will have another round of complaining that the new Coach will not have had a Training Camp to install his System properly... and yet another case of the prime Head Coach candidates being off the Market when they decide to pull the trigger... have to hire an Interim Coach... and then give him the job and the chance to have a Camp and a full Season to get them going.

The sooner they move on with better options available and time for him to work, the better off they will be... and the sooner the word is out that the position is open, the more candidates wanting the job will be there.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The home/road splits is all the indictment you need. A huge part of that is the coach's inability to adjust his team when he doesn't hold all of the easy cards

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only Buffalo being worse at the PK is a huge indictment. The roster has problems, sure, but there's enough talent for decent PK unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad