Is Craig Berube going to get replaced before next season starts?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
What do you guys think, is Berube going to get fired after this season's end, or is he going to stay on board at least until the beginning of the season, and then get evaluated based on how the team does?

Don't answer based on what you think should be done, but based on what you think will be done.

I'm kind of torn, but I'm saying "yes". I know I'm probably going to be in the minority.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I voted yes, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if he is back.

Hextall believes this is a playoff team and they didn't make it. Injuries aside, a lot falls on the coach. Getting the team up for away games, pk is for the most part on the coach.

While Schultz, MDZ (despite healthy scratch period), Raffl, VV and Bellemare have done well under Berube, BSchenn and Couturier have not developed as hoped and Lecavalier is a dumpster fire. Couturier needs a full offseason of training and a new coach to give his offensive development the best chance. Berube's system requires the center to skate, which is not Lecavalier's or Couturier's best attribute, so it is not surprising that Couturier focuses on defense while he is out there and doesn't take as many aggressive offensive chances as he probably should. His zone starts could also be attributed to his thinking the coach wants me to focus on defense primarily. This in turns kills his offensive confidence which you can see, in part, in all his flubbed shootout (and breakaway) attempts.

I also think the D's end of season comments to Hextall will include criticizing the healthy scratch rotation that made no sense at times (MDZ for instance) and Mason's comments won't be flattering either. We don't know the entire Reese story, but Mason cannot be happy about it. Hextall has to ask himself if Berube is the guy to develop the young D as they work their way into the lineup? Under Berube, Morin could be playing 22min a night and suddenly be a healthy scratch for 5 games and given zero explanation as too why.

The reason why I wouldn't be totally shocked if he is back is he did have a winning record last year and has to deal with a roster with players Hextall would like to dump but can't because of their contracts. Flyers organization is loyal to a fault and Berube is one of their own.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't really think they have a choice. Simply put: to keep him means they're tanking next year.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I hope Hextall sees sense. We've been over the reasons 100 times over. I'm genuinely concerned if he's still here if/when Morin and Ghost are called up. It could be hugely detrimental to their development if Mr. Impatient is still at the helm with his scattergun/ throw **** at the wall and see if it sticks approach. His constantly changing lines/pairings and his bizarre scratches will hinder them both.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Here's my concern:

Every "expert" talks about how great of a job Berube has done with this team. That worries me. It makes me wonder if maybe it's something that i don't see.

I think he'll be back. The "experts" love him, and that scares me

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Those "experts" all fit under one of three categories.

1- Payed to say good things about the team (CSN)

2- National media who can't watch every team closely enough to see everything that's going on (TSN/NBCSN)

3- Idiot

Hextall is paid to make the team good, not make the team sound good.

He watches every game closely and looks at every aspect of the team and staff.

And based on every move he's made so far he doesn't appear to be an idiot.

I seriously doubt he keeps Berube, especially since he wasn't the one who hired him and has no loyalty to him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think there's a chance that he'll be back next season. They would have extended him already if they wanted him back.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Here's my concern:

Every "expert" talks about how great of a job Berube has done with this team. That worries me. It makes me wonder if maybe it's something that i don't see.

There was an article last week that had other GMs talking to Hexy and asking him how he missed the playoffs with that roster. It's partly on the coach. Hexy has no loyalty to Berube, he was Homer's hire. I think you'll see one of two options: a veteran proven coach like Babcock or a young, up and coming teacher to bring the young players along. Not sure who Hexy knows, so it's hard to tell. Is there a good coach in Manchester or an LA assistant that Hexy helped hire?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Here's my concern:

I came to post this. He's done a "great job" by all of the people who are paid the big bucks to talk puck.

Ill give Berube the B.O.D for our defensive woes, because our D sucks

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I came to post this. He's done a "great job" by all of the people who are paid the big bucks to talk puck.

Ill give Berube the B.O.D for our defensive woes, because our D sucks

They're paid to talk puck because mostly they couldn't hack it as coach or GM. There aren't a great deal of analysts whose opinions are worth much. Plus, there's no way these guys could have a grip across all 30 teams. Those who watch and cover this team know the deal with Berube. Hex didn't sound too complimentary about Berube's performance at the Town Hall meeting.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
I'm hoping he gets booted before they're done sweeping up the popcorn from the stands next Saturday.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i would be livid if the Flyers brought Berube back next season, so much so that i don't think i would watch a single game next year if that happened. i would be so put off by the franchise and their frequent recent idiotic decision making, it would be very hard to follow them.

there are going to be some really good coaches available this summer, it would be typical Flyers to go with Berube, watch all the other good coaches get hired elsewhere this summer, and then end up firing Berube halfway through next season with no suitable replacement. :shakehead

i will lose a ton of respect for Hextall as a GM if Berube comes back. he is not a good coach.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I believe both Hextall and Snider have a feeling this team is not as bad as they haved looked this season and that it takes really good Coaching to get the best out of the prospects coming up.

But still... it will probably be a long process finding the right Coach and if a couple of potential deals are falling through and nobody else stands out, Berube might be back for training camp. And as far as Hextall's judgement of things is concerned, look no further then the departure of Jeff Reese...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I believe both Hextall and Snider have a feeling this team is not as bad as they haved looked this season and that it takes really good Coaching to get the best out of the prospects coming up.

But still... it will probably be a long process finding the right Coach and if a couple of potential deals are falling through and nobody else stands out, Berube might be back for training camp. And as far as Hextall's judgement of things is concerned, look no further then the departure of Jeff Reese...

Benoit Groulx coached Canada to the WJC Gold last year. He was the Jr coach who gave Giroux a camp invite and put him on the team. Given the team's Quebec connections, he might be a consideration.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Benoit Groulx coached Canada to the WJC Gold last year. He was the Jr coach who gave Giroux a camp invite and put him on the team. Given the team's Quebec connections, he might be a consideration.

I for one would prefer someone with experience as a Head Coach in the NHL but Groulx seems to be well respected, has a great record working with young talent, and would at least not come with the baggage of being a former Flyer. He'd be an my personal short list as well.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Over the course of this year it has been painfully obvious that this franchise needs to go into a fresh new direction, catching up to the rest of the league so to speak, Berube's stern "tough guy" act has proved at times to be not only childish but way outdated, which for me at least translates to his actually coaching, the ridiculous TOI, the obsessive use of the 4th line, not playing the 2 best players on the team in needed situations, etc, etc, etc, I don't believe Hexy is an idiot at all, after thinking about it I think Hexy has had a plan this whole time, the team he inherited obviously had/has glaring holes, and the moves he made at the trade deadline say to me at least that he has a plan/vision where he wants to take this franchise and he is navigating with what he has in front of him until he can get to where he wants this team/franchise to be

That being said I won't be surprised at all if Berube is back next season, but wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced, depending on what Hexy thinks he can get done in the offseason

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
If Berube´s back next season:

kill_myself_nph.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad