Speculation: Is Connor Brown the worst forward in our top 13?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
After his rookie year I was a big fan of Connor Brown. I saw his two-way ability and thought he could become a consistent 18-20 goal scorer who could productively play on a team's second or third line. Since then, his role with the team has changed and he appears to have regressed fairly rapidly. Once a top offensive player in junior and the AHL, his offensive output has declined from 20 goals, to 16 and now he only has 5 in 67 games played. On top of that, his speed and decision making with the puck both seem to be lacking, which has caused countless turnovers or missed opportunities for the team.

Are the Leafs a better team with him out of the lineup? Is he the 13th or 14th best player in our current forward group?

For context, the Leafs top 13 is (in no particular order):

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kapanen
Kadri
Johnsson
Ennis
Brown
Gauthier
Moore
Marleau
Hyman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It used to be Lindholm by far. I guess I could see Brown as the worst, but I don't think he's as worthless. It's more because someone has to be the worst

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It used to be Lindholm by far. I guess I could see Brown as the worst, but I don't think he's as worthless. It's more because someone has to be the worst
I think he's an NHL player still. He would play in most team's top 12. The question is though, is he in our top 12 forwards?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good reliable player that works hard and well trusted by Babcock at both ends of the ice.

He kills penalties and gives his line further defensive awareness.

He is better than all the 4th line players at present, however he ends up as one of them when everyone is healthy.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
good 4th liner/decent 3rd liner, making a little too much. If he made $1mil, nobody would be talking about him. Seems to have lost some of that offensive touch, not sure why, and I doubt Babcock is telling him not to be more creative offensively.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His numbers went down because his role has progressively diminished as the Leafs have improved, he didn't forget how to play hockey. I don't think he's any worse than Moore, Ennis, Gauthier or Petan. He's more rounded than any of them, who are all mediocre niche players.

Tiggaracing

Mar 2, 2014
This thread title just ruined any future thread about Brown started in 'Trade Proposals' for ever and ever and ever ...

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
His numbers went down because his role has progressively diminished as the Leafs have improved, he didn't forget how to play hockey. I don't think he's any worse than Moore, Ennis, Gauthier or Petan. He's more rounded than any of them, who are all mediocre niche players.
Ennis has way more skill than Brown. I agree on Petan and Goat. But Goat plays centre. Moore the jury is still out on.

Only so many players can play. To me that means the two that sit should be Petan and Brown.

Reactions: CelticDruid

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Nope. This title goes to Marleau.
I dont really understand the hate Brown gets. He is the babysitter of the team at least thats the role Babcock gave to him. In a more offensive role he would be a 20 goal scorer again.

Reactions: standers

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It might be difficult to look at it like that. Obviously any player that has a role on either special teams unit might prove tougher to healthy scratch, but that's never going to be a given. There can also be considerations of centre/winger versatility or the ability to play either wing effectively enough.

Will be interesting to see who is the most frequent scratch whenever the forward group is entirely healthy. I'm sure it'll be good to at least have all of the available options to choose from.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It might be difficult to look at it like that. Obviously any player that has a role on either special teams unit might prove tougher to healthy scratch, but that's never going to be a given. There can also be considerations of centre/winger versatility or the ability to play either wing effectively enough.

Will be interesting to see who is the most frequent scratch whenever the forward group is entirely healthy. I'm sure it'll be good to at least have all of the available options to choose from.
Is he really that good on the PK though?

I feel like we may just be used to watching Babs throw him out their on the PK, when guys like Goat, Moore or Johnsson could realistically take his spot out there with no ill effect.

Jun 27, 2005
The forwards should be ranked something like this, top to bottom left to right.

Matthews, Marner, Tavares
Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson
Marleau, Ennis
Hyman,Brown,Moore,Gauthier

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The forwards should be ranked something like this, top to bottom left to right.

Matthews, Marner, Tavares
Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson
Marleau, Ennis
Hyman,Brown,Moore,Gauthier
Pretty good. Here's how I'd do it:

Tier 1: Matthews, Marner, Tavares
Tier 2: Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson, Hyman
Tier 3: Marleau, Ennis (Moore might be here in future)
Tier 4: Moore, Goat, Petan, Brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad