Is Chara the tallest hockey player ever?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Kudroc wasn't 6'7". He once stated in an interview that he was 6'5" and 235 lbs but listed at 6'7", 255 lbs.

Howe was barely 6' btw.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
bol_hockey1.jpg

former NBAer manute bol (7'7") signed a one-day contract with a central hockey league team as a publicity stunt to raise money for sudanese refugees. i don't know if he ever made it onto the ice during the game, though.
Yup - and he is also the worlds tallest jockey.

Manute Bol signed a one day contract with the CHL Indianapolis Ice, dressed for one game, but didn't play. It was part of his efforts to raise awareness and money for Sudanese refugees. He also played Jockey for a day in a similar vein.

bol_horse1.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Aww, crap. Seventieslord is wrong.

I must have been thinking about Butch Bouchard.

Ya... Butch was indeed 6'2, according to all sources. Still, everything I said about Howe (in relation to Abel and Blair, can't think of any body of that era that was bigger).

In regards to what I said earlier...

Crutchfeld was 6'1. Big for the era, but there are some sources to the effect that Didier Pitre was 6'1... Thus, Crutchfeld was big, but not a monster; Chamberlain was nothing special.

I think we can consider Howard McNamara a monster, though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ya... Butch was indeed 6'2, according to all sources. Still, everything I said about Howe (in relation to Abel and Blair, can't think of any body of that era that was bigger).

In regards to what I said earlier...

Crutchfeld was 6'1. Big for the era, but there are some sources to the effect that Didier Pitre was 6'1... Thus, Crutchfeld was big, but not a monster; Chamberlain was nothing special.

I think we can consider Howard McNamara a monster, though.

Uhhh, yeah. That guy was huge. So was Mummery.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks, I always wondered what happened to that guy.

Another ex-junior goon, Dave kaczowka, was working at Home Depot last I saw :D

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Lane Manson was 6'9 and a half I believe - played in the WHL, drafted by Atlanta in '02

I could have swore he made it up to the AHL with Wilkes Barre, but after checking his hockeydb sheet, it looks like it didn't happen.

retired from hockey in 2007, now plays plays basketball for U of Saskatchewan. Says he has knee problems from skating, but has no problem running and is mainly going back for his education.

He sounds like a smart kid. Best of luck to him.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Jesus, I am 5'10" but slouch like I am 5'8", if someone is over 6' they seem tall...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Tim Horton was lucky to push 5'10" 185 lbs+/-
A big player back then was 6'-0" 195 lbs!

You're quite close to Beliveau though!

You're right. I always thought Horton was really big. He certainly played like a big guy.

(hard to google Tim Horton without tons of coffee references getting in the way!:D)

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I remember reading that Horton was no more than 5'8'', despite his listed height. I think maybe it was in the hardcover THN's top 100 players book.

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Swedish prospect Viktor Svedberg is 6'9" and just turned 18. I could see him grow another inch. He will likely be drafted this year aswell.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Swedish prospect Viktor Svedberg is 6'9" and just turned 18. I could see him grow another inch. He will likely be drafted this year aswell.
Good god, what the hell are you guys feeding your youngsters over there? Our best prospects are all smurfs like Rajala and Granlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad