Is Chara the tallest hockey player ever?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Jose Corvo*

manute bol. 7'7"

edit: after further investigation, he actually did not play. damn, would have been great.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
He is probably the tallest in NHL history, but I imagine he's not the tallest person to play the game at any level.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It might be a while before anyone eclipses that. In '97 when he entered the league he was like the 8th wonder of the world on skates. And ten years later nothing has changed. He's now a good defenseman though instead of just being known as a tall one.

Chris McAllister was 6'7". Steve McKenna 6'8". Is Boogard 6'7"? But still a guy to beat that has got to be 6'10". Not gonna happen in a while. If you hit those heights you're more than likely to be a basketball player no matter what country you come from. Even Pronger at 6'6" still stands out every time he's on the ice.

dao256

Mar 12, 2006
Canada
Lane Manson was 6'9 and a half I believe - played in the WHL, drafted by Atlanta in '02

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
bol_hockey1.jpg

former NBAer manute bol (7'7") signed a one-day contract with a central hockey league team as a publicity stunt to raise money for sudanese refugees. i don't know if he ever made it onto the ice during the game, though.

BadHammy*

Manute Bol's line was 17games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 90 PIMs, -50 and 300 slip n' falls...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm sure that there's been a rec league player, or a junior or collegiate player, who was 6'10".

As for 6'9", I thought there was another 6'9" player in the NHL at some point. But in terms of a 6'9" player who has had a legit impact in the show, Chara would be the only one. In fact, I'd say the only player taller than 6'6" who has had a big-time impact on the sport. Kjell Samuelsson and Uwe Krupp were both 6'6". That's part of what makes him so unique.

Chara's going to be one of the defining players of his generation. Every scout is going to be looking for the next Chara for a long time. He's such an amazing combination of ability. He's big and he has a terrific reach, but he also has excellent skill, a bullet of a shot, a mean streak, and perhaps most amazing for a player of his size, coordination. Along with Lidstrom and Pronger, Chara will be the trend-setting defenceman of his generation. (That's not to say he's been a better or a greater player than Scott Niedermayer, but I think it'll be easier to find the next Niedermayer than the next Chara).

Analyzer*

Jason Missaien is 6'8 and still young, he could grow two more inches. More than likely not, but still...

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
As a B's fan that has seen every game he's played in Beantown I can tell you that he is regularly referred to as the tallest player to ever play in the NHL.

They might be wrong, but they say it is so; often.

I'd guess they are correct.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
bol_hockey1.jpg

former NBAer manute bol (7'7") signed a one-day contract with a central hockey league team as a publicity stunt to raise money for sudanese refugees. i don't know if he ever made it onto the ice during the game, though.

I remember this and he did get on the ice at some point whether it was this day or not.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm pretty sure Chara is the tallest NHL player ever. Even Steve McKenna and Chris McAllister were freaks of nature just a decade ago and no one could believe how tall they were. As GBC said, a decade before that, there were Krupp and Samuelsson, and that's as tall as anyone ever was. A decade before that, Pete Mahovlich towered over everyone at 6'5", and two decades before that, when Gordie Howe was 6'2", there were only a handful of players as tall as him or possibly one inch taller.

Players keep getting bigger and bigger and to look back and see if there was ever anyone taller than Chara is an easy task because you only really have to scan the last two decades.

Bumjoo Wang*

How tall was Kristian Kudroc? If I remember correctly, he was "up there" with Chara as well.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
I'm sure that there's been a rec league player, or a junior or collegiate player, who was 6'10".

As for 6'9", I thought there was another 6'9" player in the NHL at some point. But in terms of a 6'9" player who has had a legit impact in the show, Chara would be the only one. In fact, I'd say the only player taller than 6'6" who has had a big-time impact on the sport. Kjell Samuelsson and Uwe Krupp were both 6'6". That's part of what makes him so unique.

Chara's going to be one of the defining players of his generation. Every scout is going to be looking for the next Chara for a long time. He's such an amazing combination of ability. He's big and he has a terrific reach, but he also has excellent skill, a bullet of a shot, a mean streak, and perhaps most amazing for a player of his size, coordination. Along with Lidstrom and Pronger, Chara will be the trend-setting defenceman of his generation. (That's not to say he's been a better or a greater player than Scott Niedermayer, but I think it'll be easier to find the next Niedermayer than the next Chara).

I used to play with a guy who is 6'11" 275lbs. Hell of a player, too. Everything they say about his advantage as a tall guy is spot on: the long stick always seems to be there when you have the puck and he can load his shots very well.

Congo

Sep 22, 2007
As mentioned earlier, Habs prospect Jason Missiaen is 6'8", being conservative with that measurement, and has only just turned 18. It's possible he could still grow another inch or two.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm pretty sure Chara is the tallest NHL player ever. Even Steve McKenna and Chris McAllister were freaks of nature just a decade ago and no one could believe how tall they were. As GBC said, a decade before that, there were Krupp and Samuelsson, and that's as tall as anyone ever was. A decade before that, Pete Mahovlich towered over everyone at 6'5", and two decades before that, when Gordie Howe was 6'2", there were only a handful of players as tall as him or possibly one inch taller.

Players keep getting bigger and bigger and to look back and see if there was ever anyone taller than Chara is an easy task because you only really have to scan the last two decades.

Geez, Howe 6'2 was tall (Butch was same height), but there has been 6'2 guys for a while. Namely, Taffy Abel, the original NHL monster. Andy Blair was 6'2 as well. Both started their pro careers +- 20 years earlier than Howe.

I can't look now, but how big were Nels Crutchfe(i)ld and Murph Chamberlain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad