Speculation: Is Carlyle really a good coach? Its time for a New Coach!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He needs to get the team back to playing physical and he has me back as a Carlyle fan. I loved the game style we had last year

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
As a team, they don't look tired, they look scared. It's pretty easy to see. Whenever this team has a lead in the 3rd, they look terrified of losing it and recently they've scared early in games.

Carlyle just mentioned the man-game stats and how we're middle of the league btw

I've been saying this since last year.
when the team is playing really well and confident - nothing can stop them.

right around the trade deadline/final stretch of the season the team started playing then as they are playing now - totally being outshot/dominated etc etc - and it was very obvious they were scared.

then Game 7 happened and it's not really settling in
they play to win for 40 minutes (for the most part) and then they play not to lose the game - which generally backfires most of the time, and then it just reinforces the behaviour.

this is why I think what this team needs is a Whitney. or a very older-esque guy.

Mar 26, 2010
Nice to get the win, but they still got outshot 50-24! Not great.

Bernier bailed them out again. This team needs to start outshooting the opponent and winning the puck possession battle.

Atleast Randy can breath a little after the win.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
this is why I think what this team needs is a Whitney. or a very older-esque guy.

Agreed. We are lacking a real solid vet in his 30's who can still play the game. Someone with some leadership and playmaking ability would be nice.

Andrew Mack

Mar 20, 2009
Niagara Region, ON
The record has been good on paper, but this team is getting carried by goaltending and two superstar forwards.

There have been so many questionable decisions, especially when you look at dressing two 3:00min enforcers on a near nightly basis and wondering why your players are gassed. Hot messes on the back end playing over puck-moving defenders is another head scratcher.

I also don't know why Carlyle feels he's seen enough of Jerry D'Amigo to know he's not worth playing after one morning skate.

Even a guy like Jay McClement, who I love, is being used too much 5on5. The guy who is a god at blocking shots and chipping it out if being put in a big minute role and we are wondering why we are stuck in our own zone always blocking shots and chipping the puck out? I know we are thin at center but we brought a guy like Peter Holland in here to generate some short-term offense but he is playing 10 minutes a night with grinders.

I think there are problems with injuries at center and young players are struggling some nights, but there are a lot of questionable line-up decisions and baffling usage. You have to put your guys in the best position to succeed before knowing what you have.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
The record has been good on paper, but this team is getting carried by goaltending and two superstar forwards.

There have been so many questionable decisions, especially when you look at dressing two 3:00min enforcers on a near nightly basis and wondering why your players are gassed. Hot messes on the back end playing over puck-moving defenders is another head scratcher.

I also don't know why Carlyle feels he's seen enough of Jerry D'Amigo to know he's not worth playing after one morning skate.

Even a guy like Jay McClement, who I love, is being used too much 5on5. The guy who is a god at blocking shots and chipping it out if being put in a big minute role and we are wondering why we are stuck in our own zone always blocking shots and chipping the puck out? I know we are thin at center but we brought a guy like Peter Holland in here to generate some short-term offense but he is playing 10 minutes a night with grinders.

I think there are problems with injuries at center and young players are struggling some nights, but there are a lot of questionable line-up decisions and baffling usage. You have to put your guys in the best position to succeed before knowing what you have.

Well I think he didn't use D'amigo too much, or on the pk because D'amigo was only at morning skate; an optional skate too. So they probably didn't have much time to see him pk the way Carlyle likes. He'll probably pk in practice, win over carlyle and the rest is history... hopefully

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Not even counting the whole getting outshot thing (which we clearly need to work on), I think the biggest thing is the team's tendency to take their foot off the pedal after a lead. I notice sometimes that after a huge lead, Carlyle plays the bottom 2 lines a LOT. Like too much. We completely lose offensive pressure and it's just in our zone all the time. He really needs to stop that, we put the pressure on for 60 mins. Not 20, not 40, 60. That's how you win games. The way he has us let the other team come back into it is one of the factors killing us right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Topic question.

No Randy stinks unless he has an all star team of players he likes and play his style.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

I very much agree with everything...except the "two super star forward " comment.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Team carried by goaltending and two super stars<<<<<How is that any different then what Pitt and Boston have done this year?

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
Team carried by goaltending and two super stars<<<<<How is that any different then what Pitt and Boston have done this year?

dude are you serious? Krecji, Lucic, Iginla, Bergeron, Marchand, Loui Eriksson, Chris Kelly, Reilly Smith, Soderberg, Hamilton, Chara, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Krug, Rask and Johnson. Literally I would take every single one of those players over at least one of the people playing on our lines. I.e Bergeron, Krecji>than every centre aside from Kadri MAYBE (with regards to future and more specifically Krejci)
Marchand, Eriksson>Clarkson
Smith, Soderberg>Raymond (and yes I know he's producing but he's a terrible decision maker who largely benefitted from playing with Bolland at the start of the season)
Their 4th line>every single player who has graced our fourth line, save for Jay McClemment
Chara>Phaneuf>Boychuk>Seidenbrg>Hamilton>Gardiner>Krug>Reilly>Franson>Liles
As of now, Rask>our goalies, although that may change.

Boston is anything but superstars carrying the team, they are a real, depth team, and i ****ing hate them so, so, so much
also Julien>Carlyle

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
Isn't that record under 500? Or am I missing something.

i know i loled too. best part is people think that because they're overtime losses they don't count as losses. But when it all comes down to it, in the playoffs, and only wins and losses matter, not points, he's lost more games than he's won. In the regular season, he's lost more "playoff wins and losses" and in the playoffs, despite coaching a team to a Stanley Cup, he's lost more than he's won.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Isn't that record under 500? Or am I missing something.

Depends on how you look at it. In 95 games the most points the team could have possibly obtained is 190. The least total would have been 0. The team got 105 which is over the 95 point midpoint (500) mark.

Feb 24, 2004
Depends on how you look at it. In 95 games the most points the team could have possibly obtained is 190. The least total would have been 0. The team got 105 which is over the 95 point midpoint (500) mark.

That's fair. I do think though that its better to look at the total points available in the game - not just the total available to one team. For example, in a game that goes to overtime, there are 3 points available. Looking at it like that is a good way to take into account that an overtime/SO win - in certain situations - is less valuable than a regulation win, because your opponent (who might be in your conference/division) gets a point also.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's fair. I do think though that its better to look at the total points available in the game - not just the total available to one team. For example, in a game that goes to overtime, there are 3 points available. Looking at it like that is a good way to take into account that an overtime/SO win - in certain situations - is less valuable than a regulation win, because your opponent (who might be in your conference/division) gets a point also.

Truth is our perception of what 500 means has to change.

Ever since the advent of the 3 point game ,500 hockey does not mean what it used to.

500 hockey in the new metric , has you sitting in the area of 8th ish worst team in the NHL. As a average calc since it's inception.

500 now a days means, "your a pretty bad team".

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Truth is our perception of what 500 means has to change.

Ever since the advent of the 3 point game ,500 hockey does not mean what it used to.

500 hockey in the new metric , has you sitting in the area of 8th ish worst team in the NHL. As a average calc since it's inception.

500 now a days means, "your a pretty bad team".

Yup, I agree. So what is the new 500?

I am thinking something around .575

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He somehow amasses a half-decent record though, for someone who "stinks", eh?

Since he's been in T.O., old "stinky" is 47-37-11.

Playoff bound.

:)

Give it time, he inherited the Ducks won a cup and declined steadily. He inherited the Leafs made the playoffs and the performances are declining steadily again. Once a duck always a duck.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yup, I agree. So what is the new 500?

I am thinking something around .575

Well I guess it comes down to semantics now.

Like ,500 always meant a "middle of the pack" team, to me.

Mid to low 90s in points seems to be the new 500.

So ya ball park, .575 is the new 500.

Feb 24, 2004
Well I guess it comes down to semantics now.

Like ,500 always meant a "middle of the pack" team, to me.

Mid to low 90s in points seems to be the new 500.

So ya ball park, .575 is the new 500.

At the end of the year, take the total number of points accumulated by every team and divide by 30. That number is the 500 line.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
At the end of the year, take the total number of points accumulated by every team and divide by 30. That number is the 500 line.

That's the right kind of concept. A different mix for current average:

2-point games, total games above/below .500 would add up to zero.
Right now, total games above .500 is +106 for 30 teams so 3.5 games above .500 is average right now and we're 4 games above .500, almost dead average.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
.5607 is the current average points percent, so .56 is more or less the "new" .500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad