Speculation: Is Carlyle really a good coach? 4 Regulation Wins in 32 games and counting!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Sens fan coming in peace. I agree with those calling for Carlyle's head. This reminds me of when we got rid of John Paddock the year after the cup run. The team started off hot but goal scoring and early hot goaltending masked our D problems. Eventually the goal scoring slowed down and the goaltending came down to earth. Our top line went cold similar to how your top line got cold as well and the wheels started to come off. We were in danger of an 18 wheeler of our own before Murray canned Paddock after the trade deadline.

A common theme was the players complaining about Paddock and his horrible system. He also loved to play favourites similar to Carlyle's man crush on Ranger, Franson and Frasor. He overplayed our top line which led to some players complaining about the lack of ice time. It didn't take long for the players to tune him out. I see a team that's clearly tuned out the coach. Carlyle is similar to a Mike Keenan coach where they have a short shelf life. You don't survive anymore with those type of coaches. He likely has the whole my way or the highway attitude which was a problem our team had with Cory Clouston in his final season and likely was a problem when we had Paddock and Hartsburgh coaching us as well.

Even though we're rivals I'd love for both teams to make the playoffs and revive the Battle of Ontario playoff style. I didn't start following Ottawa until after their 03 run so I didn't get to see those playoff games. I've only seen bits and pieces on Youtube. However, it doesn't look like both of our teams will be making the playoffs without changes. It's just unfortunate that your GM is blind and can't see the problem. Just like Burke's loyalty to Ron Wilson caused you guys to miss the playoffs all those years, Nonis's loyalty to Carlyle may cause similar problems unless there is a quick change.

Mar 26, 2010
And outscored 18-5 in the last three not to mention out possessed, out played and outshot

BUT...

thats-how-i-0kzhrf.jpg

Its mind boggling how Carlyle is acting like its perfectly normal to get outshot every game 50 shots and maintain the thought he is a good coach.

NOW, the team is mathematically, officially OUT of a playoff spot in 10th place and Nonis is still content... this is simply unacceptable.

This is becoming worse than the Burke/Wilson era. To top it off the Leafs are stuck with $12.25M they are going to have to buy out because on Nonis. :shakehead

They are also getting humiliated night in night out now. This team is in BIG trouble!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can't see Nonis replacing Carlyle during the regular season barring a complete meltdown. But I can certainly see him not re-upping him in the summer. Most coaches do not go into a season as a lame duck coach, so we will see what Nonis does or does not do.

leafstilldeath*

**** you Nonis!!!

Seconded!

If Nonis doesn't **** up based on this moron of a coach who loves playing mediocre players

Bozak
McClement
Raymond
Franson
Ranger

we wouldn't be in this **** to begin with

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Carlyle is a great coach. Takes a team thrown together thats full of other teams castaways and makes the playoffs last season. Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Gardiner, Franson ect. They were all traded to T.O. Other teams didn't want them for a reason and that reason is why the leafs are losing.

Mar 26, 2010
Can't see Nonis replacing Carlyle during the regular season barring a complete meltdown

Not sure what your definition of a complete meltdown is, but 2 regulation wins in 26 games is beyond that!!!!!!!!!!! ****ing pathetic.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Carlyle is a great coach. Takes a team thrown together thats full of other teams castaways and makes the playoffs last season. Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Gardiner, Franson ect. They were all traded to T.O. Other teams didn't want them for a reason and that reason is why the leafs are losing.

Agreed entirely.

He's showing them the proper way to play the game.

It's unfortunate that the TEAM doesn't have the ability and/or the will to heed the call.

You think a former Norris winner doesn't know how to play defence?
You think a former Cup winning coach doesn't know how a winning team plays?

Absolutely pitiful that Leafs Nation has to pick on the best thing to happen to the Leafs in years.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

The Leafs were pretty bad last season. This is just sweet regression to the mean. The Leafs haven't had a good team in a decade, and they haven't had a cup contender since 93. This is depressing.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Seconded!

If Nonis doesn't **** up based on this moron of a coach who loves playing mediocre players

Bozak
McClement
Raymond
Franson
Ranger

we wouldn't be in this **** to begin with

McClement's play 5vs5 basically outweighs any positive he brings to this team on the PK. Just an atrocious offensive player. I hate how he is being utilized by Carlyle.

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs were pretty bad last season. This is just sweet regression to the mean. The Leafs haven't had a good team in a decade, and they haven't had a cup contender since 93. This is depressing.

And they won't be Cup contenders for a long time by the looks of things here.

Go Habs Go? LOL

Jay99999*

Laviolette, Boucher, Dale Hunter (might come work for the leafs since london is close to toronto), dineen, marc crawford, tom renney (assistant with detroit), Brent Sutter, John Stevens (assistant with LA), Glen Gulutzan (assistant with Van City)

Which one of those guys will hold the players accountable, crack the whip, bag skate them and sit stars that are lazy?

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
And they won't be Cup contenders for a long time by the looks of things here.

Go Habs Go? LOL

Alright, I dislike Carlyle and the current Leafs with a passion (I mean I really, really hate some of these players to my very core at this point) but cut that go habs go garbage out.

Also, I'm pretty sure we were contenders in 2002.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Agreed entirely.

It's unfortunate that the TEAM doesn't have the ability and/or the will to heed the call.

Absolutely pitiful that Leafs Nation has to pick on the best thing to happen to the Leafs in years.

Wayne Gretzky was a coach once, too.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Agreed entirely.

I won't argue that Carlyle is the best NHL coach just like I don't argue that Phaneuf is the best NHL #1D. But let's face fact, at the end of the day the leafs have players with large individual flaws or average players who are overpaid.

Basically we have:
an average NHL coach + overpaid flawed talent + overpaid average talent

What does that equal....well a flawed and quite average team.

ForSpareParts*

Re: 2 regulation wins

who cares how the leafs win as long as they win. what's with the "2 regulation wins" stats popping up all over the place. so what if the other team got a point.

no they have to have a convincing regulation win in order for you to be satisfied that they won. what a joke.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wayne Gretzky was a coach once, too.

Wayne was not a horrible coach, what was he working with really. Defensive minded players and he is an offense oriented coach. Maybe Wayne had a bad hand, his record is just under 500 and that's not horrible bad.

Love to have Wayne as interim coach for the rest if the season only. Would be hilarious and kinda cool maybe get that top 5 pick maybe it works

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

who cares how the leafs win as long as they win. what's with the "2 regulation wins" stats popping up all over the place. so what if the other team got a point.

no they have to have a convincing regulation win in order for you to be satisfied that they won. what a joke.

The Leafs have seven shootout wins propping up a record that's still bad. Maybe you've forgotten but there are no shootouts in the playoffs. And the reason the Leafs have gone to OT/shootout so often this year is because they cannot hold a lead in the third period to save their lives. Those are mostly games in which the other team came back to tie it.

In fact if you sort the standings by regulation and OT wins, you get accurate rankings. The only teams worse than the Leafs are the Islanders, Panthers, Sabres, Oilers, and Flames.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

because it's a tie breaker

Detroit and we both have 50 points
We have 23 wins
Detroit has 19 wins

but if Detroit won more in regulation than we did, they leap over us. and that could cost a playoff spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad