Is Canada's talent pool drying up?

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
In short, Canada is doing just fine.

People need to remember that Canada gave the world a great game, but others can play it, too. Just because it's "our game" doesn't mean Canada wins every time out. Other programs can have just as much "heart" as Canada does, too, and we shouldn't, as much as we love it, measure our entire sense of self-esteem on the haphazard bounce of a rubber disk batted around by teenagers.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
I don't think he was trying to make an excuse, just pointing out the talent that Canada has away from the WJ this year, since the idea that Canada's talent is drying up is based on the fact that this year's WJC team is weaker.

Exactly.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Just a year (or 2) ago people were saying the WJR's were no fun because Canada was so much better then everyone else and won every year. Now, our talent is drying up?

Silly.

Having said that, we have been going thru a dry spell when it comes to goalies for a long, long time.

BlackAces*

A gold medal loss last year and a shootout loss in the prelims against Sweden has many convinced that Canada's superiority in the sport is in its last stages.

Wishful thinking or realistic fact?

Discuss.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
A gold medal loss last year and a shootout loss in the prelims against Sweden has many convinced that Canada's superiority in the sport is in its last stages.

Discuss.

Many convinced? You mean fools like you?

BlackAces*

This thread is beyond stupid. We win 5 gold medals in a row, lose a 6th in OT, and have as good a chance as any to win again this year, and we have many convinced that we are in the "last stages" of superiority?

My god

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
This thread is beyond stupid. We win 5 gold medals in a row, lose a 6th in OT, and have as good a chance as any to win again this year, and we have many convinced that we are in the "last stages" of superiority?

My god

It wouldn't be HF if everyone here had common sense

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Well, from a 48 year old American standpoint, I can just say I am thrilled
that our development program is (catching up) to The top of the food chain.
After we win multiple years worth of golds and have huge numbers in the NHL, then I will worry about the Canadian hockey machine:)
Best part of watching Sweden beat Canada, is that it lets the US know that there are
plenty of teams that can win this (hello SWiss in a close one?) and to not take anybody lightly.

I'm going to let the sleeping giant snooze here. If Canada plays their best, this conversation will not take place next week. Don't poke them!!:laugh:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Whoever is claiming that is trying to get a rise out of the media and public in general. Canada is by far the most talented country for hockey players, bar none. Fact that many of the players under 20 are integral parts to their NHL team should be evidence enough. Its like the United States playing basketball in things outside of the Olympics. Ya, they'll put together a roster that will ensure they should be the heavy favorites, but it isn't lights out the best players in the country playing either.

NativeHockey77*

all the superstars are in the NHL ...... that speaks volumes

if they could play in there they would win gold every year hands down

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Discuss.

Do you even remember how close Canada has come to not winning gold during their most recent 5 straight run?

Malkin scored a goal in the 2006 gold medal game that was missed by the refs and video review. TSN had video of it going it, but for whatever reason, the replay booth didn't get it. Game was maybe 2-0 Canada at the time if I recall.
Shootout against the USA in 2007 in the Semis?
OT victory in 2008 against Sweden?
Eberle tying the game against Russia in 2009 in the semis?
Silver in 2010 with Canada coming on an odd man rush. If Pieterangelo buries that shot, it's 6 straight.

It's been that close for Canada.

Claude28Giroux

praiseG
Apr 3, 2008
Lewiston, NY

Discuss.

EpicFail.gif

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think a lot of it is attributed to coaching.

Cameron is really trying to force a defensive system on players that aren't used to it.

And don't even get me started on Desjardins last year.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Oh dear lord no, other teams are somewhat competitve!

Seriously?

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
This game isn't a sign of Canadas lack of talent becuase they have an huge amount of talent.

This game is a proof of Swedens greatness, I think truely amazing how my country can produce so many topplayers with just a population of 9000.000.
There are Järnkrok,Larsson,Larsson,Lander,Lehner,Cehlin,the Klingbergs, Nemeth and some more.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Is Canada's talent pool drying up?

incredible the topics one can come up when you want to talk hockey and all available topics have been deepleted ! :laugh:

remembers me the discussions on this board in august ! hilarious !

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Not at all.

Once in a while, you will get a team that is a bit weaker than the standard, but they are always a gold medal favourite. This is one of those years where the Canadians can be defeated a bit easier than usual, but by no means is it a reflection of where the team is going in the long run.

This year, the Fins, Americans, Swedes, and Canadians can all beat each other in a one game playoff.

Heck, even the swiss can cause damage, and the russians should never be taken lightly.

Its wide open this year.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
I feel like the USA well take over hockey one day, good junior team, an Olympic team that was pretty young in 2010, and it seems hockey is getting more and more popular in the USA, finding talent from 300M + won't be hard if more and more people get interested in the game.

pouskin74*

Not at all.

Once in a while, you will get a team that is a bit weaker than the standard, but they are always a gold medal favourite. This is one of those years where the Canadians can be defeated a bit easier than usual, but by no means is it a reflection of where the team is going in the long run.

This year, the Fins, Americans, Swedes, and Canadians can all beat each other in a one game playoff.

Heck, even the swiss can cause damage, and the russians should never be taken lightly.

Its wide open this year.

did you just compared Russia to Swiss? :laugh: or do you wanna say that Finnland or USA are stronger than Russia? Russia lost to Sweden but werent any weaker than them. however its so amusing when people talking like this so its never get boring in here. :)

pouskin74*

however back to topic. there is about 6-7 players (Canada)in NHL who were eligable for this tournament so talent hasnt dissapeared nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad