Is Canada's talent pool drying up?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I feel like the USA well take over hockey one day, good junior team, an Olympic team that was pretty young in 2010, and it seems hockey is getting more and more popular in the USA, finding talent from 300M + won't be hard if more and more people get interested in the game.

You can't alwas take population and assume that will mean they will play hockey.Will they take hockey over one day maybe but canada for years to come will be a top team no question about it.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
The only area that Canada has been mediocre in producing elite players in the last decade is goal tending.

Look at the high end Canadian goalie prospects drafted in the last ten years, and how many of them are/were NHL starters? Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ray Emery, Steve Mason, and soon to be Jonathon Bernier.

Other than that, one could argue that there has never been a richer period in Canada's history for producing players. Year after year the draft is stocked full of high end Canadian players who go on to make an impact at the NHL level. We certainly couldn't say the same during the 90's. While the youth movement in the NHL is due to the new culture of the league in a way, it's also due to the dearth of high end talent that came out of the mid-late 90's drafts. A big part of that resurgence has been due to the Canadian hockey system.

Using an U20 tournament which showcases 20 of the best players (chosen to be part of a team, not representative of the 20 best players available even discounting the NHL graduates) is stupid though.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's wishful thinking. A loss every now and then is nothing to get upset about. Are we suppose to go 1000 and 0? One season back in the 70's The habs had the best season in the history of the NHL. Heck they still lost 8 games.....
Before yesterday we won 8 straight shootouts. We just have to lose once in awhile. We have 15 golds in this Tournament since 1977. The U S has 2 and Sweden has 1. That's all I need to know. Yes we will lose once every decade or so. I feel we still are the favourites this year. At least I wouldn't bet against Canada.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
A bunch of no name college kids beat the mighty Soviets in 1980 and no one was declaring hockey was on a downfall in Russia.

Canada's talent isn't drying up, other countries (particularly the USA) are getting better.

Even though it's not practical in Canada; I would love to see European countries do what the Americans are doing with their development teams.

BlackAces*

The only area that Canada has been mediocre in producing elite players in the last decade is goal tending.

Look at the high end Canadian goalie prospects drafted in the last ten years, and how many of them are/were NHL starters? Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ray Emery, Steve Mason, and soon to be Jonathon Bernier.

Other than that, one could argue that there has never been a richer period in Canada's history for producing players. Year after year the draft is stocked full of high end Canadian players who go on to make an impact at the NHL level. We certainly couldn't say the same during the 90's. While the youth movement in the NHL is due to the new culture of the league in a way, it's also due to the dearth of high end talent that came out of the mid-late 90's drafts. A big part of that resurgence has been due to the Canadian hockey system.

Using an U20 tournament which showcases 20 of the best players (chosen to be part of a team, not representative of the 20 best players available even discounting the NHL graduates) is stupid though.

Well stated.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
If Duchene and Hall were playing the Canadians would be dominating.

That being said I believe the days of saying Canada's Z team could beat any other country's A team are gone.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
If Duchene and Hall were playing the Canadians would be dominating.

That being said I believe the days of saying Canada's Z team could beat any other country's A team are gone.

Not really there is a hand full of teams canada's z team could not beat but to say all no that is not true.

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
A bunch of no name college kids beat the mighty Soviets in 1980 and no one was declaring hockey was on a downfall in Russia.

Canada's talent isn't drying up, other countries (particularly the USA) are getting better.

Even though it's not practical in Canada; I would love to see European countries do what the Americans are doing with their development teams.

What exactly should we do?
I think our system in Sweden with "hockeygymnasium"(hockey collage) works fine

JustinW

Dec 14, 2006
A gold medal loss last year and a shootout loss in the prelims against Sweden has many convinced that Canada's superiority in the sport is in its last stages.

Wishful thinking or realistic fact?

Discuss.

Imo it is quite the opposite. It seems to me that many of the canadian players are now developing a lot quicker than before thats why our WJC rosters don't seem that spectacular.

sabresfan123*

A gold medal loss last year and a shootout loss in the prelims against Sweden has many convinced that Canada's superiority in the sport is in its last stages.

Discuss.

I am laughing my ass of trying to figure out if you are an idiot or American.

Why are people allowed to make such exaggerated statements without a link to "many" of these people who are saying this. It is very irritating that people say things just to incite riots.

What country is Taylor Hall from?
What country is Tyler Seguin from?
What country is John Tavares from?
What country is Steve Stamkos from?
What country is Sydney Crosby from?
what country is Sean Couturier from?

What was the nationality of 7 of the top 10 players in last years NHL draft?

What country do players come from that jump from juniors straight into the NHL thus not playing in the world juniors?

imagine the lineup if we had all our eligible players playing in the worlds.....how many swedes, americans and russias are playing in the NHL that are eligible for the world juniors?

Top 2 prospects for 2011 are Canadian, 5 of the top 10 are canadian.

Seriously, making statements like MANY people are saying this should remove all credibility that you had left.

CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA

Please do some research before you post something so stupid.

sabresfan123*

fellas, this is not me saying this or believing this..i'm merely quoting what some swedish and american fans were saying after the loss.

hahahahahhahaa wow their opinion must mean a lot to you!
Can you post the links?

Did you read your misleading OP? You posted "Many" people. Now you are saying swedish and american fans........shameful at best.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Nathan MacKinnon, 4 pts in the last U17 game for Atlantic, hasn't even been drafted into major junior. I'd say the pool is getting replenished.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008

Discuss.

Intense trolling or just fickleness?

Discuss.

dogyekcoh*

No, more like other countries catching up in their youth development programs.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Pejorative Slured thread. What possible reason could you find to start this?

Campbell stood on his head last year. Roy sucked it up today. Schwartz and Kassian are both out, and Seguin should be there right now aswell, not even mentioning all the other players they're missing in the NHL.

this.

dumb thread award for 2010....:shakehead

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
did you just compared Russia to Swiss? :laugh: or do you wanna say that Finnland or USA are stronger than Russia? Russia lost to Sweden but werent any weaker than them. however its so amusing when people talking like this so its never get boring in here. :)

No, I didn't. The point is that the tournament is completely wide open this year. I dont think the swiss can challenge for gold but I do think they have a fighting chance to cause an upset along the way, like they did last year against russia.

Like I said, Russia can never be taken lightly. Having said that, the swedes beat canada in a very meaningful game so they are big time contenders. The fins have brought a lunch bucket attitude and have impressed me despite no granlund. They pushed the US to the limit and can do it again.

Russia is just a part of the mix. I think you took my comments the wrong way.

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
I think the Canadian hockey pool has gone up with that of the US, Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland with the talent of Russia, Czech Republic and Slovakia going down.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Hall Duchene Skinner
Kane Seguin Schenn
Leblanc O'Reilly Foligno
Connolly Johansen Howden
Schwartz

the forwards have more nhl players than juniors... yea drying up alright

AugustBurnsRed*

Hall Duchene Skinner
Kane Seguin Schenn
Leblanc O'Reilly Foligno
Connolly Johansen Howden
Schwartz

the forwards have more nhl players than juniors... yea drying up alright

How I wish that was the team they were icing right now :laugh:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
WJC tournaments are always for the "best of the rest" prospects, meaning players who didn't make their NHL team right after being drafted.

It sounds like an excuse, but to put it into context: USA, the gold medal favorites, are only missing one player (Fowler) who could have made the team but is playing in the NHL instead.

Canada is missing 6-7 players (most of whom were drafted in the top 5) and the management team didn't even bring some of the more talented players along (ie. RNH, Murphy, etc).

In a full best-on-best WJC tournament, I think Canada would dominate every year like they did in 2005.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I haven't even read the thread but anyone who says Canada's talent pool is drying up is simply ignoring that we are missing like 8 guys every year who are good enough to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad