Is Canada's talent pool drying up?

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Is this serious? Canada has more and better young talent than the rest of the world combined...

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
I think there's a misconception that Canada is that far away from the rest of the world. It's definitely the top right now, but it's not like it's miles away. And so whenever somebody gets close to overtaking them people freak out.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Canada's talent pool can keep drying up as long as we keep collecting gold's.

We've been in the last 10 gold medal games. The road to gold goes through Canada. NUFF SAID!

FanHabtic*

I think one thing that should be said is that Canada's vast talent pool has been constant over the past decade. However, our competitors (US in particular) have increased their talent pool steadily each year. Usually there are ebbs and flows when it comes to talent. (in particular, Russia, Sweden and Czech are examples of this). But the US have noticeably increased their talent pool over the past 10 years.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I think there's a misconception that Canada is that far away from the rest of the world. It's definitely the top right now, but it's not like it's miles away. And so whenever somebody gets close to overtaking them people freak out.

Not so sure about that..imagine if Duchene,Skinner, Fowler, Hall, Seguin, Evander Kane were all playing in this tournament..not sure it'd even be a competition.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Not so sure about that..imagine if Duchene,Skinner, Fowler, Hall, Seguin, Evander Kane were all playing in this tournament..not sure it'd even be a competition.

100% FACT!

Plus 15 1st round picks and we blow the competition out of the water. Canada wins.. No Contest.

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
Well the way I'm seeing it:

Hockey = Canada's sport #1
Skiing = Austrian's sport #1
Baseball = American's sport #1
Soccer = Brasil
Golf = Scottland
England = Polo

I'm glad that its not always the big and very immigranted countries who are dominating everything, otherwise we would see the tons of states merged into "one" named USA ruling all of these sports. Nothing against the people in the US I just don't like the idea of merging countries. I'm heavily against the oversea project named "European Union" too :)

Canada will continue to dominate in hockey no doubt about that for sure they won't win gold every year but given their almost endless talentpool they should be very very fine for years to come.

Unfortunately, baseball doesn't really seem to be the number one sport amongst young Americans. Haven't football, basketball and soon soccer taken over? :/

And the declining birth rate is something to consider in the years to come, although it is an important element in almost every western country nowadays. As people have said in this thread, our talent pool hasn't really dried up, but it hasn't increased as much as the one in other countries has.

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
I think one thing that should be said is that Canada's vast talent pool has been constant over the past decade. However, our competitors (US in particular) have increased their talent pool steadily each year. Usually there are ebbs and flows when it comes to talent. (in particular, Russia, Sweden and Czech are examples of this). But the US have noticeably increased their talent pool over the past 10 years.

Agreed ... some Canadians (and there are quite a few on HFB) are pretty arrogant about this whole thing. I'm the most Canadian person I know, and I have to say, Canada produces some damn good hockey players. That being said, the rest of the world does too. US hockey has been on the rise majorly within the past several years IMO, especially in the "non-traditional" hockey markets like California and Texas (I've heard the Stars have helped improve minor hockey there, which is really cool). I'm not quite sure where the guys overseas stand, but Sweden's team really impressed me this tournament, and they deserved to beat Canada in that game because they played better. Russia is a regular hockey power, and I was starting to write them off this tournament - then they stormed through the Finns and Swedes! I expect a good game tonight, and I hope that some of the politics can get resolved so we can get more of that Russian talent in the NHL. Sweden, Russia, and Finland continue to produce NHL-quality talent. I like that the smaller countries like Switzerland are producing some potential NHLers now too.

PIMqueen

Apr 4, 2010
here
If beer-drinking was a sport, we would dominate like nobody's business. There are only 2 things Canadians take seriously:

1. Hockey
2. Beer

Finns take drinking pretty serious, maybe more than canadiens do. Believe me, beer is more like a religion here. (not saying I drink, just generalizing little)

FanHabtic*

Finns take drinking pretty serious, maybe more than canadiens do. Believe me, beer is more like a religion here. (not saying I drink, just generalizing little)

As i type this message, I'm drunk! :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad