Is Buffalo's Roster Better Than Montreal ?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Buffalo has the better core, but Montreal has the better roster.

In 2 years time, Buffalo will have just SEVEN guys signed. They are far from a complete roster, so this is a pretty simple question to answer.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Lightly disagree. Sabres definitely have the better high end assets (Eichel/Dahlin) but passed that they are a bit light.

Skinner and Okposo contracts are bad. Skinner is a good player, but 15m in those two is rough.

Romanov <<< Dahlin
Weber/Petry >> Ristolainen/Montour/Jokiharju
Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki >>>> Cozens, Mittlestadt

Montreal with good drafting in the 2nd (Poirier pls) likely end up adding similar value this draft despite Buffalo having a better pick (Lapierre + a good 2nd rd vs Perfetti/Sanderson/Holtz) --- Montreal also has some of the best wing depth in the NHL once they actually add top 6 wingers. Montreal just needs to bring back Thompson and hope Kotkaniemi can fill the 2C shoes, trade Domi + for a more effective winger, and add a top 6 guy (Dadonov?)

X/Suzuki/Dadonov
Tatar/Kotkaniemi/Gallagher
Drouin/Danault/Armia
Lehkonen/Thompson/Byron

Romanov/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Edmundson/Fleury

Price
Allen

Prospects: Caufield, 15/47/48/56th overall picks, Poehling, Ylonen, Brook, Norlinder, Cayden Primeau.

vs

Olofsson/Eichel/Reinhart
Skinner/Staal/Kahun
X/Mittelstadt/Okposo
X/X/Thompson

Dahlin/Risto
McCabe/Jokiharju
Montour/Miller

Ullmark
Hutton

Prospects: Cozens, 8th/38th, Samuelsson, Johnson, Luukkonen.

I think Buffalo has the two best pieces between the two teams, but after that it is Montreal for awhile.
I mean, Reinhardt is pretty good and you can probably slide Cozens right into the top 9. No chance he's heading back to the W. Wouldn't be too much of a reach for him to become an impact player as soon as this season. Skinner is also a good player but yeah, paid too much. Staal will probably add some much needed scoring depth.

Are you saying that Montreal had a better 2020 draft, even though it doesn't start for another half hour?

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Even with top names, Sabres are a sad team to look at, shame on the management.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Busy offseason for the Sabres ...Lots of changes...

Montreal stronger in net but what about the rest ? You guys think Buffalo passed them on paper and in that division?
Games aren’t played on paper and when was the last time Buffalo made the playoffs?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
No, MTL has heart players on every line. Buffalo has Eichel who gives up after all star break because no one else cares. Ill take a MTL roster over Buffalos anyday.

Reactions: holy

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Habs - ice cream with a few cherries.

Buffalo - cherries but no ice cream.

Terrible analogy. Those chemical-tasting cherries are disgusting, no one wants them.

Better analogy: Sabres have the ice cream, but no bowl to serve it in. Montreal has a bowl, but no ice cream.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Terrible analogy. Those chemical-tasting cherries are disgusting, no one wants them.

Better analogy: Sabres have the ice cream, but no bowl to serve it in. Montreal has a bowl, but no ice cream.
Montreal as always on these boards, is underrated because the fanbase is so huge on here people feel they need to be contrary regardless. It's a deep team with a large and nasty defence now. With Romanov coming, Anderson to insulate the two young C's...a legit backup for the first time in 8 years so carey plays 55 games. They need another scoring winger and they will make some noise - and with other pieces coming, they will be a threat in the east. They even have price's heir in Primeau

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At C it will even out VERY quickly if kotkaniemi and suzuki reach their potential fast

I'm not sold on Kotkaniemi for me if your #3 overall pick needs time in the AHL for anything more than a conditioning stint that's a problem.

3rd overall picks are expected to play and perform

Reactions: barbu

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I'm not sold on Kotkaniemi for me if your #3 overall pick needs time in the AHL for anything more than a conditioning stint that's a problem.

that's your prerogative. when he was 18, his numbers were equivalent to high end C's like Barkov at same age. Year 2, he was injured the entire year - went to A for rehab and was a point a game player until he was cheap-shotted again and missed rest of season. There was no reason for him to return to the NHL even if he didn't get injured. Habs were a circus last year. He came back bigger, older and stronger for play-in and play-off and was physically dominant. I think he'll be just fine.

stppnmd

Oct 3, 2019

this is a very dumb take. What about Mitch Marner, #4 of 2015 (and who would've been top-2 in most draft years)? He spent D+1 in OHL. Or suddenly, if you're #4 you're allowed to not play and perform?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
this is a very dumb take. What about Mitch Marner, #4 of 2015 (and who would've been top-2 in most draft years)? He spent D+1 in OHL. Or suddenly, if you're #4 you're allowed to not play and perform?

not a good example because he did perform the second he got to the NHL

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think both have pretty big holes and last years standings showed that. Long term I like the Sabres better because they have the young franchise C and D but they still need to add a lot of pieces.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Habs made the playoffs, Sabres didn't. Easy maths here.

31-31-9

vs

30-31-8

Pretty close record wise, and I think you can easily chalk up the difference to coaching. "Better" is subjective, just comes down to whether or not you prefer a roster with high end talent that has holes, or a roster with no high end talent that does not have holes.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
31-31-9

vs

30-31-8

Pretty close record wise, and I think you can easily chalk up the difference to coaching. "Better" is subjective, just comes down to whether or not you prefer a roster with high end talent that has holes, or a roster with no high end talent that does not have holes.

Did you make the playoffs tho?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Montreal has the better current roster but Buffalo has more valuable assets. A competent GM could make Buffalo a better team than Montreal in one offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00