Is Brodeur hurting his legacy?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so gordie howe, michael jordan, and joe montana all hurt their legacies by playing for another team too right?

this is such a dumb argument

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Is Brodeur hurting his legacy by accepting a contract offered by a team who wanted him to play for them, and then playing for them?

No. Seems to me he's just being a hockey player.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

At first glance at that URL, I thought that it said "amish legacy." Needless to say, I was confused.

It's very easy to say that it doesn't hurt his legacy, but I imagine that most who have expressed that so far would agree that it would've been even better for him to have worn only one jersey and retired with the team that drafted him. There's just something extra special about players who play their entire careers for a single team, especially when they're HOF quality. I think that we're all secretly a little disappointed that that isn't the case here, even if we support his decision to try to get 700 wins with another team. Basically, it probably takes a little bit of luster off of things, but there's so much luster on an absolutely sterling career that it really doesn't make much of a difference.

By the way, if you feel that the argument in the OP is stupid or dumb, saying so in a one or two sentence post isn't contributing a good argument, either. Put some thought and care into your reply if you're going to criticize something that someone else put a lot of time into, or don't reply at all.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
At first glance at that URL, I thought that it said "amish legacy." Needless to say, I was confused.

It's very easy to say that it doesn't hurt his legacy, but I imagine that most who have expressed that so far would agree that it would've been even better for him to have worn only one jersey and retired with the team that drafted him. There's just something extra special about players who play their entire careers for a single team, especially when they're HOF quality. I think that we're all secretly a little disappointed that that isn't the case here, even if we support his decision to try to get 700 wins with another team. Basically, it probably takes a little bit of luster off of things, but there's so much luster on an absolutely sterling career that it really doesn't make much of a difference.

By the way, if you feel that the argument in the OP is stupid or dumb, saying so in a one or two sentence post isn't contributing a good argument, either. Put some thought and care into your reply if you're going to criticize something that someone else put a lot of time into, or don't reply at all.

I think citing historical examples in one sentence is a good argument.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
so gordie howe, michael jordan, and joe montana all hurt their legacies by playing for another team too right?

this is such a dumb argument

Yeah, everyone hates Ray Bourque, right? I mean, that Colorado year ruined everything.

nwaZ*

Yes, he is. His last year in NJD already left a sour taste with him being played more than Schneider despite being clearly worse. His ego is as large as his belly.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Of course he isn't. Brodeur will be considered one of the best, if not THE best goalie of all time. Him playing for St Louis will have absolutely no negative impact on that.

If he plays well and helps St Louis win a Cup? His legacy will be improved.

nwaZ*

Of course he isn't. Brodeur will be considered one of the best, if not THE best goalie of all time. Him playing for St Louis will have absolutely no negative impact on that.

If he plays well and helps St Louis win a Cup? His legacy will be improved.

Not even close.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Of course he is. Five more starts and he will be lucky to get in to the Hall of Fame.

NHL should enforce a rule where players past 40 years are not allowed to play no matter what. Also, if you have played more than 10 seasons for one team the NHL should not allow the player to play in another team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
700 wins is an acheivement big enough to forget about his jersey really.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Stupid opinions don't require a lot of effort to rebut. The guy holds a ton of records and has 4 Vezinas/3 Cups - I don't need four paragraphs to point out that playing for another team for a season or two won't do away to that and any argument to the contrary is stupid.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
So even if hes still loves the play and wants to play, not to mentiom it seems like he can still compete....he shouldnt because of something as trivial as his legacy?? F that, i dont think he gives a damn about it. Its about the now and now he wants to play, nothing else is important. I think some fans care more of players legacies then the actual players do.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A bit of hyperbole etc in the article? I mean "stunned the world" how did he stun the world when everyone knew he wanted to still play and he was not going back to Jersey?

In the end this will not touch his legacy at all.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
If you mean he is ending it looking like an egotistical person? Yeah, he hurts his legacy that way. Brodeur already isn't seen as a nice guy though, you know, caught cheating with nanny/babysitter, got divorced, and then married the nanny.
marty is still playing because of the divorce imo
she [rightly] got huge sums of money from him in that case
she got 7 million straight up, 500k a year in permanent alimony, and 130k a year in child support

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
"Legacy" is the most fruit, fan-centric invention in sports. If a guy wants to play, he can do so as long as he's wanted/needed.

I'd bet a lot of the fans that chastised Brodeur (and players of his ilk) for hanging on too long, not realizing they're washed up etc...are the same fans that cry foul about "legacy" and "loyalty" when the player continues on elsewhere.

Legacy? For a sure fire HOF'er?

What a joke.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I hate it when human beings criticize athletes for also being human beings. The dude is doing what he loves, and isn't ready to give it up yet.

startainfection*

a few years ago i wanted him to retire with 666 so badly

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
If he seemed completely out of gas and was given the net as a favor to get to the 700 win plateau, then we could have the conversation. As an observer, he's looked no worse than Jake Allen and, other than one bad positioning goal vs Islanders, the Blues defense has hung him out to dry on most of the goals he's allowed. Not sure how long he can keep it up at 42, but he looks at least as good as a league average goalie so there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad