Is Brodeur hurting his legacy?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
No, Brodeur's not hurting his legacy by continuing to play. It's a fun story.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
As a Devil? Maybe.

Not even. Lots of players end their careers in weird places with less than spectacular results. Guy Lafleur played for the rangers for a year and then finished his career with two seasons on one of the Habs bitter rivals, the Nordiques. People still chant his name any time he's at the Bell Centre.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Not in the least. It's his career, let him get the 700 wins he wants. He'll be working under Lou Lamoriello by next season.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
The same way no one respects the legacy of Michael Jordan, Willie Mays or the countless others who hung on in their twilight and played for another team in those last year(s)

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
If he gets his 700, it'll only further cement his legacy. On the blues, he has a chance to do just that.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Not even. Lots of players end their careers in weird places with less than spectacular results. Guy Lafleur played for the rangers for a year and then finished his career with two seasons on one of the Habs bitter rivals, the Nordiques. People still chant his name any time he's at the Bell Centre.

Hard emphasis on "maybe", as it'll depend on who you ask.

I don't mind that Modano, Alfie, Sundin, etc. went to other teams at the end of their careers.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The only thing hurting his legacy is that mask. Dude had basically the same mask his entire career and now it is blue. Still kinda has that flame though.

I don't think it hurts legacy at all, it does hurt short term popularity though. People shook their collective heads at recent guys like Michael Jordan on the Wiz and Brett Favre on anyone but the Packers. I don't think it changes their long term legacy though.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec
His legacy is that of a goalie that has played more games than most players do. How does longevity affect this negatively?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
If you mean he is ending it looking like an egotistical person? Yeah, he hurts his legacy that way. Brodeur already isn't seen as a nice guy though, you know, caught cheating with nanny/babysitter, got divorced, and then married the nanny.

Obviously he is still a 1st ballot HoF guy, Roy has as much or worse demons in his closet and is still looked at as a hockey god. So if you mean in that regard, no he won't be tarnished.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Haven't paid much attention, but isn't he 2 for 2 wins with the Blues so far? Hell I bet he could have a resurgence with such a good team, if anything.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Did Gordie Howe tarnish his legacy by playing with the Whalers?

After he retires, people will remember the great Brodeur of the past. I haven't watched any of his St. Louis games but it doesn't sound like he's tarnishing anything. The guy loves to play and wants to reach 700...how grumpy do you have to be to not accept that?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
By the standard use of "hurting legacy," yes. But really, no one should give a ****. He's earned the right to play as long as he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad