Is Bergevin the worst GM in the NHL?

• Total voters

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
So the worst GM in the league did the following trades :

- Raphael Diaz to Vancouver VS Dale Weise
- UFA Dale Weise + UFA Tomas Fleischmann to Chicago VS Phillip Danault + 2nd round pick (Alexander S. Romanov)
- 2nd round pick + conditional 5th round pick to Edmonton VS Jeff Petry
- Picked Paul Byron of waivers
- Simon Bourque to Winnipeg VS Joel Armia + Steve Mason
- UFA Tomas Plekanec + Kyle Baun to Toronto VS 2nd round pick (Jacob Olofsson)+ Kerby Rychel + Rinat Valiev, then re-sign Plekanec
- Zach Redmond to Buffalo VS Nicolas Deslauriers
- 5th round pick to Minnesota VS Mike Reilly
- Sebastian Collberg + 2nd round pick to Islanders VS Thomas Vanek + 5th round pick
- Signed UFA Alexander Radulov to a 1 year contract

This is way too early to judge the Drouin VS Sergachev trade and the Domi VS Galchenyuk trade. And every GM loses players to free agency. Radulov and 38 years old Markov are the only significant players he lost in 7 years.

The Subban trade looks bad, especially with the injuries to Weber. I agree he lost this one and this is a major one.

In the meantime, you have a GM like Stan Bowman who, over the years, lost players like Byfuglien, Panarin, Ladd, Teravainen, Leddy, Sharp, Hjalmarsson, Danault, Johns, Campbell, Frolik, Daley and Kempny for nothing, along with multiple 1st round picks for rentals like Vermette and an older Ladd, signed Seabrook to possibly the worst contract ever and he's still considered as a top 10 GM. If you understand that, please explain because I don't.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah and it's not even close for me at the moment (though I know many view Chiarelli around where he is). Dorion is hard to judge with Melnyk shenanigans combined with the locker room shenanigans.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I'd say no, but definitely close. Cancel the Subban trade and his name isn't even brought up.

Reactions: KawaYui

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
In the meantime, you have a GM like Stan Bowman who, over the years, lost players like Byfuglien, Panarin, Ladd, Teravainen, Leddy, Sharp, Hjalmarsson, Danault, Johns, Campbell, Frolik, Daley and Kempny for nothing, along with multiple 1st round picks for rentals like Vermette and an older Ladd, signed Seabrook to possibly the worst contract ever and he's still considered as a top 10 GM. If you understand that, please explain because I don't.

Stan Bowman has led Chicago to three Stanley Cups. Might have something to do with why he’s so highly regarded.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
The worst GM seat rotates between Dorion, Bergevin, Benning, and Chiarelli. All of those guys consistently get fleeced in trades and have **** UFA signings.
why does hf list benning in these threads? i literally don't get it. the nucks have a really good young prospect core, despite him being handcuffed to not rebuild. he's made some iffy trades but nothing crippling of even close tbh. ya'll talk about the forsling trade as it it's the hall-larsson trade. when petteron, juolevi and the young canucks get to the league and turn their team around ya'll will look dumb imo.

Reactions: iSophagus

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
why does hf list benning in these threads? i literally don't get it. the nucks have a really good young prospect core, despite him being handcuffed to not rebuild. he's made some iffy trades but nothing crippling of even close tbh. ya'll talk about the forsling trade as it it's the hall-larsson trade. when petteron, juolevi and the young canucks get to the league and turn their team around ya'll will look dumb imo.
anyone can suck and get good prospects. that doesn't take a good GM to do.
Benning can get credit for Boeser. That I'll give him.
Hes not good, but for the purposes of this thread, he's nowhere near the level of awful that is Bergevin and Chiarelli. They both made franchise destroying trades.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
anyone can suck and get good prospects. that doesn't take a good GM to do.
Benning can get credit for Boeser. That I'll give him.
Hes not good, but for the purposes of this thread, he's nowhere near the level of awful that is Bergevin and Chiarelli.

That's how a good chunk of great teams got to where they did. Look at CHI/PIT/WSH. Benning didn't get lottery luck like those teams did.

They haven't picked that high compared to other teams with deep prospect pools tbh. Idk why you guys can't admit he came into a bad situation. The Sedin's didn't want to be moved. The owner didn't want to rebuild. The team was bad and he didn't make any moves that significantly hurt your team long term imo. Well maybe the 2014 draft, actually.

I just don't get how he can be compared to GMs that have torn down their franchises for pennies to the dollar. Canucks are going to be very good in a few years if they keep stock pliling young talent.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That's how a good chunk of great teams got to where they did. Look at CHI/PIT/WSH. Benning didn't get lottery luck like those teams did.

They haven't picked that high compared to other teams with deep prospect pools tbh. Idk why you guys can't admit he came into a bad situation. The Sedin's didn't want to be moved. The owner didn't want to rebuild. The team was bad and he didn't make any moves that significantly hurt your team long term imo. Well maybe the 2014 draft, actually.

I just don't get how he can be compared to GMs that have torn down their franchises for pennies to the dollar. Canucks are going to be very good in a few years if they keep stock pliling young talent.

Kinda agree on this one. Benning actually has a good drafting record, though I think him trying to get his team into the playoffs with veteran signings is pretty silly (see Loui Eriksson and the two most recent signings this July 1st). His record in regards to trades is also spotty. Don't know if hes the guy who should be leading this team into a rebuild, but at least the man is trying and has the potential to lead this team somewhere in the next few years.

TrapGod Jr

Apr 22, 2017
Yes. Definitely. He says that attitude will make this team win and he trades and lets go 2 of the players who had that winning attitude (PK and Radulov) He acquires Drouin who was crying like a baby in TB. The minor good moves he made are forgotten by the shit major ones! Just listening to him at press conferences makes me so freaking mad, he makes no damn sense! :mad:

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Stan Bowman has led Chicago to three Stanley Cups. Might have something to do with why he’s so highly regarded.

Bowman won the cup with the team that he inherited. But since then, he did nothing but handicap the team with bad contracts and trade talented young players away in return for nothing to make room under the cap. He literally teared a good team apart.

How does he still keep his reputation intact while other cup winners like Holland don't make no sense at all.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Jim Benning always has a place in a conversation about the worst GM’s in the league.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benning has made some questionable trades, but it's not lopsided bad like us losing a Filip Forsberg like trade bad, or a Taylor Hall/ Larrson lop sided trade. He did propose a rebuild which was denied.

Bergivin is the worst gm.

With the Pacioretty thing he is officially the worst.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007

- UFA Dale Weise + UFA Tomas Fleischmann to Chicago VS Phillip Danault + 2nd round pick (Alexander S. Romanov)
- UFA Tomas Plekanec + Kyle Baun to Toronto VS 2nd round pick (Jacob Olofsson)+ Kerby Rychel + Rinat Valiev, then re-sign Plekanec
- Sebastian Collberg + 2nd round pick to Islanders VS Thomas Vanek + 5th round pick

This is way too early to judge the Drouin VS Sergachev trade and the Domi VS Galchenyuk trade. And every GM loses players to free agency. Radulov and 38 years old Markov are the only significant players he lost in 7 years.

The Subban trade looks bad, especially with the injuries to Weber. I agree he lost this one and this is a major one.

Agreed with everything here, although I think as of now and because of how he's being used, we did slightly lose on the Drouin trade, he's not a center and as long as he gets played there and performs the way he does, we lose that trade but we'll see with time. Galchenyuk is another one I consider a loss but not because we don't know how Domi will do, I think he'll fit in well on the team but the more talented of the two, raw talent wise is Galchenyuk, and another hit on Bergevin is specifically how Chucky was managed, he's responsible for that too to some extent.

Generally speaking I think what tips the balance on Bergevin being much worst than stats alone is his attitude and arrogance.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Yes and he is also a person of low moral character. People who live outside the Montreal market have no idea how weasely this guy is.

The only thing I admire him for in a business sense is how brazenly he ripped off the Molson family with his extension and extensions for all his unemployable buddies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Wow I have also found a few copper pennies in my time, now how about we worry about gold medals. This GM threw away Eller because he didn't like him. That is the worst part about this idiot. He gets rid of players because of personality conflicts he has-and they are many.

What do you think will be the return on Patches. Certainly won't be what he is worth and Burningbin has said he is geting rid of max at all costs-0mostly because Marc is responsible for making a bad situation worse. No worries its only been 7 years and we have continued to slide all the way down to 28th. Give the guy a few more years. I am sure Harold Ballard is happy that we now have management and ownership that is like Chia running the 1980s leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad