Is Bergevin the worst GM in the NHL?

Is Bergevin the worst GM in the NHL?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Now I know Dorion is gonna get some knocks as well, but at least he has the excuse of poor ownership that has completely screwed the team. Bergevin turned a playoff contender and stripped it to a laughing stock of the NHL because of absolutely shortsighted and outright stupid decision making. I'm not a Habs fan, but thank god I'm not a Habs fan:

Galchenyuk for Domi: Trade away your best center for another play making winger when you already have bad center depth. #Logic

Subban for Weber: I mean everyone saw this as a bad trade, but boy does this look even worse now. Weber already has issues with his health, and your stuck with that 8 million cap hit for 8 more years! Subban is doing great in Nashville in the meantime, but at least Weber can show his true character and grit while he slowly heals in his iron lung.

Drouin for Sergachev: Wow, Bergevin actually kinda tried to fix his teams horrible center depth. Unfortunately, he had to give up his best defensive prospect in the process. But it gets even worse because Drouin kinda sucks as a center and can't handle the responsibilities of it, and whats even worse is he's the #1C on this team now. Also, Sergachev is doing amazing in Tampa and could've really helped that piss poor blue line. Whatever, Drouin is French so who cares :P?

Carey Price 10 million dollar contract: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I mean I get it, Price can be a great goalie if he's healthy. But his numbers were terrible this year, and with the defense in front of him? I can't see him being a Vezina caliber goalie again, and you've got him for 8 more years. Good god what was Bergevin smoking when he gave this contract out...

Karl Alzner contract: Can't comment as much on this one, but I have heard nothing but negative feelings from Habs fans in regards to him and his play. Just another terrible contract through and through. Must be pissed his former team just won the cup though XD.

Losing Radulov to Stars: For a team that couldn't score this year to save themselves, Radulov's 72 points and 27 goals sure could've made a big difference. I can understand the issue about his age and how the Habs need to get younger, but doesn't Bergevin still think this team can be in the playoffs (LOL btw)?

Just a few examples of his wizardry. Could also go into the bad drafting and terrible misuse of players and whatnot, but I think everyone gets the general idea. I'm not going to admit to being a huge fan of the franchise that follows it day to day, but I know this team was a contender a few years ago and now looks like its on course for an ugly rebuild (which will take forever thanks to those Price and Weber contracts).

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
The worst GM seat rotates between Dorion, Bergevin, Benning, and Chiarelli. All of those guys consistently get fleeced in trades and have shit UFA signings.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I do not know, there is many other bad ones to, but i do not get how he still can have a job as a GM in NHL, it is a achievement to be that bad.

Many times the best move a GM can do is to do nothing at all. If you would be a GM and you do nothing at all when it comes to trades and just picked the highest ranked player available in the draft, I think you already would be one of the absolut best if not the best GM in the league.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You have to consider what the GM is being told by ownership.

Jim Benning, for example, was told to win games when he was hired. How can anyone reasonably expect him to rebuild when his job is to build a winner today? So his failures in those early seasons shouldn't count against him. Same with Dorion. He has some strict rules and limits from ownership to work with. Sure he's made some blunders, like overpaying for Duchene. But he did that trying to win for an owner that was demanding it.

By all accounts, the ownership in Montreal has allowed Bergevin to do whatever he wants. Team owner, Jeff Molson, is even talking to fans and telling them the organization needs to be more transparent, and explain why they make certain decisions. Doesn't sound to me like he is making hockey decisions. So the blame lands on Bergevin alone.

Hard to argue anyone has done worse in a good situation than Bergevin. Chia is the only one in the same conversation.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I voted: No.

I have no idea why though. I guess, it feels to me like a few of them seem to rotate based on their most recent move..
George McPhee was voted as worst GM in the league in one of these polls a while ago when he was with the Capitals I believe. Suddenly he's one of the best. Recency bias is strong among fans.

Reactions: lawrence

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
George McPhee was voted as worst GM in the league in one of these polls a while ago when he was with the Capitals I believe. Suddenly he's one of the best. Recency bias is strong among fans.
A year ago at this time he was getting roasted for such a poor E-Draft. 8 months later he was "gifted a great team."

So ya, recency bias is a thing. As is stupidity.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's in a tight race with Dorion, Chia and Benning.

Weird how all 4 work for Canadian franchises. Sad times north of the border.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think so, actually. Dorion doesn't belong in the discussion - he's too new and has been thrown into an incredibly unenviable position. Chiarelli... I mean, he did a lot of good in Boston, followed by a lot of stupid, but he wasn't all bad there. In Edmonton he's had some bad moves, but I don't think it's to the level of worst in the league.

Bergevin has just done so many moves that are at odds *with each other*. Weber for Subban was supposedly because they felt the window was now and Weber put them in a position to contend, and you follow it up with... not addressing the C position and signing more grinders? Sergachev for Drouin was justified because Drouin was going to be one of X number of players, and Markov was still around. Except Radulov walked, Markov walked, and...? Galchenyuk for Domi is a continuation of that. Insisting Drouin is a Center, then saying he's not, and then implying he's going to be playing center again...

And the Alzner contract and the Price contract both stunk the second they were signed. Those are going to be anchors moving forward, even if Price gets back to Vezina-form. Goalies just aren't worth that much.

He made trades like he was building a team to win now (whether or not those trades were advisable is a different argument), and then enters free agency letting key pieces go. It feels like he played hardball with Radulov and Markov just to say he did it, instead of putting a decent team on the ice. Add into the quality of the trades themselves... He's lost the Subban trade in a big way. It certainly looks like he's losing the Sergachev trade. I would be shocked if he doesn't end up losing the Galchenyuk trade...

I would kill for that kind of job security.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If Bergevin isn't the very worst, then he is certainly among them. As much as I respect and admire Quebec's unique culture, Montreal's tendency to predominantly hire francophone general managers and coaches severely limits the pool of potential quality personnel at their disposal. I'm sure the fans would rather have a winning team than a losing one with a French speaking front office.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes easily.

Others make bad trades but can at least field a competitive team.

Bergevin's team sucks even with Price and he still can't get a top 6 center to save his life.

member 105785

He's in a tight race with Dorion, Chia and Benning.

Weird how all 4 work for Canadian franchises. Sad times north of the border.

Dorion is handcuffed by ownership, the same as Benning was in his first few years, I don't consider either of them to be nearly as bad as Chia or Bergevin and I detest Benning

Reactions: lawrence

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I really don't like Bergevin as a GM, but it's really close between he and Chia. Beregevin has made some positive moves and signings, but he seems to have a personality that actually devalues his own players and has basically failed miserably by his own standards for success. He threw his whole team under the bus by saying it was their attitude that sunk the team from day 1, despite the fact he said his goal was to add integrity and improve their culture to a winning culture. They were a winning team before he started tinkering in the locker room.

Chia has the unfortunate distinction of doing absolutely nothing to improve his team, and you can easily look at the team the Oilers would have right now had they promoted a bobble head toy to GM and did nothing for the same tenure, and realize that the team managed by that Bobble head would be destroying this current iteration of the Oilers.

So to recap - Bergevin took a winning team, said they didn't get further in the playoffs because of lack of leadership and character, made several moves to fix the character, then after a terrible season, blamed it on the lack of character....

Chia took a team that has just received four 1st overall picks in the past 7 years, including a generational player in McDavid, and decided to erode away the overall skill level of the club to make them harder to play against, only to leave them looking to add speed and skill, but not really having the assets or cap space to pull it off.

It's like picking which lung you get infected with cancer. There is probably a medically correct decision, but both sounds awful, and I personally have no clue how you choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad