Is Bergevin the worst GM in the NHL?

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
I find this thread hilarious. We moved Beaulieu who is a god awful player, he has 0 hockey IQ and is beyond horrible defensively. The Beaulieu trade made it so Vegas didn't pick him and picked Emelin instead, that free'd up 4.1M for us which will allow us to resign Radulov and make other acquisations. Emelin was a 4M bottom pairing dman.

We honestly fleeced Tampa in the Sergachev for Drouin trade, Sergachev has defensive and decision making issues and Drouin is already a stud. We ended up getting our own Marner in Drouin and we desperately needed a high-end playmaker for our PP, Drouin can also end up being a center for us (played C in junior and when Stamkos went down). In any case we lacked offense and a high end playmaker and we got that in Drouin, i've never been very high on Sergachev so i was ECSTATIC about the trade.

Bergevin has been AMAZING in the off-season so far. He just needs to resign Radulov and trade for LHD to play with Weber. We're gonna have to use Galchenyuk as a trade chip for that LHD.

Hi Marc!

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
He's probably up there. But it's just funny that PK was supposedly a "cancer" and yet they bring in guys like Radulov and now Drouin, who literally took his puck and went home during a season.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Benning is going to redeem himself when he pulls off that Tanev for a high first rounder, top prospect, and awesome roster player deal i keep hearing is coming.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
He's probably up there. But it's just funny that PK was supposedly a "cancer" and yet they bring in guys like Radulov and now Drouin, who literally took his puck and went home during a season.

The only people who say PK was a "cancer" are people on this board who created their own situation for why PK was traded

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal

Bergevin's been in love with Drouin for a while now. Isn't it said that love is blind? ;)

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He took a team that had some of the best prospects in the entire league, no bad contracts, as well as some pretty good vets and managed to destroy all of that in about 4 years. Compare the Habs lineup right now to the team he inherited... Bridge deal mismanagement, handing out long term contracts to undeserving players or coaches, the PK trade, a complete lack of direction, extreme nepotism that is permeating all levels of the organization and has killed off the growth of Habs prospects, Galchenyuk's mismanagement, chosing to stand by his coach and shipping off his star player instead, trading for Shawful and giving him a terrible contract and then protecting him because, you know, once you make a mistake the best way to fix it is by doubling down on it...:nod: if I took this more seriously I would :cry: but I've learned not to care too much about what incompetent people do that is out of my control, so I :laugh: and just don't really give a hoot about this team, which is why I just cut off my cable for the upcoming season.

To answer the question, not only is he the worst but he is most definitely the lowest IQ GM in the league. Just watch his end of season presser, he can't express himself clearly or articulately in either French or English... he has the communication skills of a 12 year old high schooler. I really have no clue how this impersonator with an affinity for clown clothes managed to convince anyone of his qualifications. It says a lot about Molson that he got sold by a used car salesman. :help:

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Far from it. I feel Bergevin is awesome at getting players with potential for cheap. Byron (waiver claim) just scored 20 goals in a season, Danault (against Fleischmann and Weise) is a legit #2 or #3 center, Benn (against Pateryn) was a revelation as a top-4 and reliable defenseman, etc. I thought the Weber trade was ballsy but honestly Shea has been excellent for this team.

As for Drouin vs Sergachev, you are suffering from HFBoards syndrome where all the prospects are worth more than actual NHL players which is always good for a facepalm or two. Nobody knows what Sergachev will be and let's not pretend like he had a steady progression over the last years.

As for Beaulieu, have you seen him play? He'll awe you with his skating but his IQ is below average and he's pretty much the expert at hitting shinpads. His wrist shot is weak as.

Anyhow, I don't see how any of your points prove your arguments about Bergevin. He's made some mistakes, that is for sure, but saying he's the worst is a terrible evaluation.

Ultimate Bandwagon

May 26, 2013
Montreal
I do, at the very least, find it funny how the GM that won 'GM of the year' is also the GM that traded to acquire Subban.
What does that say about the GM who traded away Subban?
Voting is cast before the playoffs begin if i'm not mistaken, meaning that the award was more or less heavily weighted on the Subban trade.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Benning has been pretty good.

Burrows for Dhalen
Hansen for Goldobin
Bieksa for a 2nd
Lack for a 3rd
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
McCann for Gudbranson

Only thing I will give Benning $hit over is Eriksson contract.. Ugh..

Other stuff has been pretty good.

giphy.gif

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik

Are you serious? :laugh:

Shea Weber probably gets by on reputation more than any other player in the league... Just last year many journalists and members of the media told us that Weber's deathly stare and superior leadership qualities would whip the entire Habs lineup into shape, and in fact Bergevin used, in vaguely similar terms, the same description to explain this idiotic trade.

But yeah, a 6th place finish obviously means Webs is superior in an award that was (once again) wrongly awarded to begin with, or that purposely comparing him against someone who missed 20ish games during the season, which is enough to disqualify said player from this race completely regardless of actual on-ice performance, is really a genuine attempt at making a fair comparison. Also, obviously finishing 6th in Norris votes >>> being the main D for your team by going up against the opposition's top guns on a nightly basis en route to the SC Finals. Obviously. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Bottom 10 for sure but not worst.

Crazy how suddently beaulieu is trash when 2 weeks ago he was in many proposal as a top #4 lol

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Might be McPhee after tonight

I disagree

19 of the 31 players he has are UFA's after next year. and hes got 40+ draft picks in total of the next 2 drafts...fantastic way to start a new franchise off...esp compared to what previous expansion teams did.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I disagree

19 of the 31 players he has are UFA's after next year. and hes got 40+ draft picks in total of the next 2 drafts...fantastic way to start a new franchise off...esp compared to what previous expansion teams did.

It's actually not that different than what other expansion teams did - he just has a pile more picks in a weak draft. :laugh:

If he misses on most of those picks, Vegas will be a bottom feeder for a decade. If he manages to use them to leverage the type of players he wants instead of just what was available, then it was genius, so we'll probably have to give his more time before we decide if it was a good draft or not for Vegas.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Bottom 10 for sure but not worst.

Crazy how suddently beaulieu is trash when 2 weeks ago he was in many proposal as a top #4 lol

Beaulieu is not trash, but his upside is still a question mark. I was a fan but he really fizzled as the season came to a close and it left a sour taste for me personally... He just looked very weak and even somewhat slow, but it looked more fitness related than anything else (not that it excuses anything).

With that said, I'm not sure that trading him for a 3rd was the right thing to do when Sergachev was just traded a couple of days before, or seeing how starved for any puck-carriers the entire blue line is. Nate has also shown constant improvement from year to year, so his peak could potentially still be hit at age 26 or 27.

Trading him for a third is essentially giving him away for free and keeping Jordie Benn as a replacement. Jordie showed his limitations after having a hot start right after the trade... and he is a very limited D man.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
BargainBin is pretty bad, but I do think there are worse out there. Sakic comes to mind first.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
he isnt a very bad gm because of his willingness to make moves.

but the weber deal was bad. We could of got more value from oilers or AVS

Being too conservative is a problem a lot of our gms had. He traded for Drouin meaning he will make moves. Problem is at TDL he has to improve his team every year which he failed to do this past deadline

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm going with Cheveldayoff, Sakic, and Bergevin. The funny thing is though that Chevelayoff still has the Wpg fans drinking the kool-aid and Bergevin had the Montreal fans doing basically the same till the Subban trade last year.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I do, at the very least, find it funny how the GM that won 'GM of the year' is also the GM that traded to acquire Subban.
What does that say about the GM who traded away Subban?
Voting is cast before the playoffs begin if i'm not mistaken, meaning that the award was more or less heavily weighted on the Subban trade.

If I'm not mistaken, for that specific award, voting is cast after the 2nd round of the playoffs. But yeah, the only notable move Poile made since last year was trading for Subban. But even though the award is supposed to be for what he did in the last year, voters probably still kept in mind that Poile traded to aquire Johansen recently too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm going with Cheveldayoff, Sakic, and Bergevin. The funny thing is though that Chevelayoff still has the Wpg fans drinking the kool-aid and Bergevin had the Montreal fans doing basically the same till the Subban trade last year.

I'd have Winnipegs roster&prospect pool easily over Montreals. That team is so damm badly built for playoffs.

Serg+Subban trades put huge pressure on Bergevin to find his next #1D soon, and he just traded his best trade asset for non #1C, what is his teams biggest weakness today, and he's just kept hurting his LD depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad