Is Bergevin the worst GM in the NHL?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Drouin trade was awesome. If the Habs were the ones with Drouin and traded him for Sergachev you'd all call him dumb as well.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I think Bergevin is a good GM. IMO he won out on the Drouin trade big time. Most likely he isn't done dealing either. Should be fun.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Only on HF is a prospect better. Also, Beaulieu might be talented at skating, thats about it. His hockey IQ is terrible and Buffalo fans will soon discover that.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I find this thread hilarious. We moved Beaulieu who is a god awful player, he has 0 hockey IQ and is beyond horrible defensively. The Beaulieu trade made it so Vegas didn't pick him and picked Emelin instead, that free'd up 4.1M for us which will allow us to resign Radulov and make other acquisations. Emelin was a 4M bottom pairing dman.

We honestly fleeced Tampa in the Sergachev for Drouin trade, Sergachev has defensive and decision making issues and Drouin is already a stud. We ended up getting our own Marner in Drouin and we desperately needed a high-end playmaker for our PP, Drouin can also end up being a center for us (played C in junior and when Stamkos went down). In any case we lacked offense and a high end playmaker and we got that in Drouin, i've never been very high on Sergachev so i was ECSTATIC about the trade.

Bergevin has been AMAZING in the off-season so far. He just needs to resign Radulov and trade for LHD to play with Weber. We're gonna have to use Galchenyuk as a trade chip for that LHD.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
Biggest needs at the beginning of the offseason:
1) Two top 6 centers
2) Top pairing LHD to play with Weber
3) More offense in general.

He solved his third biggest issue with that Drouin trade, but lost his "in-house" solution to his second problem. He also lost every other LHD on the team, Markov yet to be decided obviously.

Oh, and absolutely nothing new to report on his biggest problem. Guess you can say that so far, it's been a pretty crappy off-season for him.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Just one season after trading Weber for Subban, he traded his top defensive prospect for a one dimensional winger. Then traded a young mobile defender for a 3rd.

Now the Habs have major holes at center and defence. You cannot contend without good centers or a deep defence

lol - no.

The Subban for Weber swap was a bad move. Acquiring a 22 y.o. Drouin who has the potential to be a top 10 NHL points producer for the next 10 years and who is a local boy on top of that? This is a genius move.

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
No, he really is not.

Especially when you consider that Garth Snow is the definition of two steps forward one step back and Sakic is just a flat out ass clown.

Rowe, even though he's technically gone, is another one who was just heinous.

It's just that MTL fans on HFboards have laughably high expectations and as a general rule rate their players at twice their actual value and will not be satisfied unless they are on the winning end of a highway robbery trade.

Bergevin is not a good GM, and he is easily bottom 10, but no, he is not the worst.

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
I find this thread hilarious. We moved Beaulieu who is a god awful player, he has 0 hockey IQ and is beyond horrible defensively. The Beaulieu trade made it so Vegas didn't pick him and picked Emelin instead, that free'd up 4.1M for us which will allow us to resign Radulov and make other acquisations. Emelin was a 4M bottom pairing dman.

We honestly fleeced Tampa in the Sergachev for Drouin trade, Sergachev has defensive and decision making issues and Drouin is already a stud. We ended up getting our own Marner in Drouin and we desperately needed a high-end playmaker for our PP, Drouin can also end up being a center for us (played C in junior and when Stamkos went down). In any case we lacked offense and a high end playmaker and we got that in Drouin, i've never been very high on Sergachev so i was ECSTATIC about the trade.

Bergevin has been AMAZING in the off-season so far. He just needs to resign Radulov and trade for LHD to play with Weber. We're gonna have to use Galchenyuk as a trade chip for that LHD.

Hahahaha, sure you did. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Drouin will never be as good as Marner....AINEC!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hahahaha, sure you did. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Drouin will never be as good as Marner....AINEC!

Oh my goodness. I guess you missed Tampa's playoff run last year and Drouin's 14 points in 17 games. At times it was a one man show. All hockey fans love Marner but honestly JD has more of an impact on the game.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
The Drouin trade was awesome. If the Habs were the ones with Drouin and traded him for Sergachev you'd all call him dumb as well.

I thought it was a good deal. However, what do they have to trade for a 1C now? Hell they probably don't even have a top 6 center on their roster

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Amazing? He's done nothing to solve the problems that have plagued the team for years. They still need offense, center depth and are even worse on defense now with nothing coming up the pipeline. :popcorn: Price is the only one holding the team together and his job.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Cheveldayoff is pretty terrible too. Gets praised to high hell for sitting on his ass while his team finishes ~20th every year.

My pick as well. He went to the Ken Holland school of making trades, avoid at all costs. Winnipeg just sits and sits and apart from some prospects coming up there are never any changes to the team. No trades, no signings, just the status quo.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nobody is even close to as bad as Jim Benning.

I think it's fair to say that Jim Benning, far and away, has the most blatantly low IQ of any front office NHL employee.

For anyone who doubts us: watch *any* clip of him speaking and observe the donkey pushing around a turnip cart in his brain.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
No, he really is not.

Especially when you

consider that Garth Snow is the definition of two steps forward one step back and Sakic is just a flat out ass clown.

Rowe, even though he's technically gone, is another one who was just heinous.

It's just that MTL fans on HFboards have laughably high expectations and as a general rule rate their players at twice their actual value and will not be satisfied unless they are on the winning end of a highway robbery trade.

Bergevin is not a good GM, and he is easily bottom 10, but no, he is not the worst.

This. Bergervin is pretty bad but he's not the worst. Benning, Sakic, I"m sure there are others don't even belong in a front office at the middle level, much less running the show. Then there are GMs like Holland who seem to have lost it and need to retire.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
He's clearly not the worst but he's in the bottom half. He inherited a pretty strong base of players when he became GM and now going into year 6 of his 5 year plan his team is no further ahead and his prospect pool is bare. For a guy that wanted to build through the draft he hasn't exactly done a great job

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he trades Gal for D-man then he's getting damm close.

Drouin trade in itself was a good move but it makes the Subban trade look even worse.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Their team looks pretty bad. It's a long off season, so we'll see what happens.

But they only have two top 4 D, probably no top 6 C at this point, and even though they have some good wingers, it's not like they have a ~75-85 point guy there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad