Is Barzal 3rd best player from the 2015 draft?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
And I have the objective facts that Marner has played more games and didn't play on a dumpster fire in his rookie season and Rantanen has the significantly higher PPG in the playoffs. But, I guess none of that matters. Marner is a Leaf.
That works if you want to ignore that Marner is a large part of the reason his team wasn’t a dumpster fire. It’s not like they finished last the year before Marner and Matthews joined the team right?

But yeah it’s all because Marner is a Leaf that even non Leaf fans are calling you out in here.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lol. Please let me know how many playoff rounds Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Crosby, Ovechkin, MacKinnon won in their first couple years or if they even made the playoffs. I'll wait.

That's an absolutely GARBAGE argument.

If you really think that Marner is currently on the same level as Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Crosby, Ovechkin or MacKinnon you're obviously being biased.

Reactions: FractionTwo

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Marner is the 3rd best right now and I wouldn’t be surprised if he became the 2nd best eventually

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That works if you want to ignore that Marner is a large part of the reason his team wasn’t a dumpster fire. It’s not like they finished last the year before Marner and Matthews joined the team right?

But yeah it’s all because Marner is a Leaf that even non Leaf fans are calling you out in here.

I don't think you realize just how bad the Avs were that year. Rantanen was one of few bright spots for the entire franchise. Our coach rage quit in August, so the new coach walked into training camp with no chance to even figure out who guys are. You guys want to complain about bad usage, I don't really want to hear it. Guys like Carl Soderberg, who reliably scores 40-50 points, had 14 points in 80 games, and looked completely lost most of the time. We only had 5 guys with 30+ points. Calvin Pickard started 48 games in net. Jeremy Smith got his only 10 NHL games as his backup. Let's not pretend that anyone would have been able to save that season.

And, Marner was a significant part of the Leafs resurgence, no question. But, you also added Andersen and Nylander, got JVR back healthy, and made some other smaller moves. Add a ton of youth, get better goaltending, get guys healthy, and it's basically a new team. That's essentially what the Avs did in 2017-18, which started us on our playoff run. Rantanen just got here a year before the rest of the rebuild was ready, and had to suffer through the worst of it. Judging him because of that year is just adding insult to injury.

Who cares if people call me out, when they can't back up their claims with fact based evidence? Am I supposed to be persuaded by unsubstantiated claims? Show me anything that makes it "clear" that Marner is the only correct opinion to have.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Since the start of the 2017-18 season, Rantanen has a higher PPG rate than Marner. And that's with Rantanen playing against goalies who deserve to be in the NHL this season.

There is a double edge to that argument.
He's hurt a lot and thus doesn't play = higher PPG

Oh and higher PPG, aren't actual points.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
I don't think you realize just how bad the Avs were that year. Rantanen was one of few bright spots for the entire franchise. Our coach rage quit in August, so the new coach walked into training camp with no chance to even figure out who guys are. You guys want to complain about bad usage, I don't really want to hear it. Guys like Carl Soderberg, who reliably scores 40-50 points, had 14 points in 80 games, and looked completely lost most of the time. We only had 5 guys with 30+ points. Calvin Pickard started 48 games in net. Jeremy Smith got his only 10 NHL games as his backup. Let's not pretend that anyone would have been able to save that season.

And, Marner was a significant part of the Leafs resurgence, no question. But, you also added Andersen and Nylander, got JVR back healthy, and made some other smaller moves. Add a ton of youth, get better goaltending, get guys healthy, and it's basically a new team. That's essentially what the Avs did in 2017-18, which started us on our playoff run. Rantanen just got here a year before the rest of the rebuild was ready, and had to suffer through the worst of it. Judging him because of that year is just adding insult to injury.

Who cares if people call me out, when they can't back up their claims with fact based evidence? Am I supposed to be persuaded by unsubstantiated claims? Show me anything that makes it "clear" that Marner is the only correct opinion to have.
Leafs were dead last and rookies made up a a large portion of their team. They made the playoffs and i'm pretty sure Marner was one of the reasons. I guess Rantanen just wasn't good enough to help his team make the playoffs

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Agree with this, but I still don't think I'd put Marner ahead of Eichel at this point.

100%

I am a massive Marner fan and glad we have him but Eichel on our team would be INSANITY. I think he has been checked out in Buffalo for a while (which is not a good trait) but his abilities are incredible. I guess Marner could be better, it's possible, but I would want to see Jack away from Buffalo.

I would take him over Marner in the draft.

Reactions: The Assclown

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Imagine having the guy who is 2nd in pruduction at 6 lol. this is terrible.
60pt Barzal isnt even top 5 let alone #3
You leaf fans are funny, Quinn hughes is first in production on D and I would pick many ahead of him.

Aho and Barzal are centers, Barzal is a 200 ft ace doing everything by himself in a defensive system, I happen to think Aho is underrated as heck getting almost ppp rarely playing over 21 mins a night.. Rantanen is comparable to Marner, while not feasting on the weak defense in the North, playing with Matthews and MacK has benefits too.
Get out of the Toronto echo chamber and youll realize that a list like mine is nothing out of the ordinary. "LOL"

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
You just have to look at Buffalo and realize no single player is going to rescue that team, if Edmonton can't do it with 2, Buffalo has no chance. Its way too easy for other teams to play against, regardless of how good your best guy is, the rest of your team gets dismantled.

I think #2 - #6 is truly a coinflip, but I would take Eichel/Marner/Chabot first and Aho/Barzal/Rant afterwards based on the last couple years.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
You leaf fans are funny, Quinn hughes is first in production on D and I would pick many ahead of him.

Aho and Barzal are centers, Barzal is a 200 ft ace doing everything by himself in a defensive system, I happen to think Aho is underrated as heck getting almost ppp rarely playing over 21 mins a night.. Rantanen is comparable to Marner, while not feasting on the weak defense in the North, playing with Matthews and MacK has benefits too.
Get out of the Toronto echo chamber and youll realize that a list like mine is nothing out of the ordinary. "LOL"

Marner plays both pk and PP while also being a top 5 on 5 player. the "200 ft" argument doesnt work here because he literally does that as a winger and it shows. This stuff should have died when Crosby and Ovechkin entered the league.

The only thing Marner doesnt do at a top level is take faceoffs. Which is a funny stat where all of those centers are some of the worst at faceoffs in the league over 5 years.

Reactions: Space Coyote

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Marner plays both pk and PP while also being a top 5 on 5 player. the "200 ft" argument doesnt work here because he literally does that as a winger and it shows. This stuff should have died when Crosby and Ovechkin entered the league.

The only thing Marner doesnt do at a top level is take faceoffs. Which is a funny stat where all of those centers are some of the worst at faceoffs in the league over 5 years.
Since when are centers judged solely on faceoff stats? The fact that Marner plays a less important position does matter.

Reactions: TopChedder

golieguy19

Jan 17, 2017
McDavid

Eichel/Marner

Aho
Rantanen
Barzal

I'd like to see Eichel away from the tire fire that is the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad