Is Auston Matthews the best player in the world ?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The debate is moot.

I will say, if I consider 5 on 5 play, defensive prowess, takeaways and who I prefer out there in a one goal game, the debate is more of a debate than in years past.

In terms of creative skill, especially on the rush, McDavid is as unique as any player in history. For me, as a fan, it's fun to watch. He's unreal at times.

As a born and bred Leafs fan, former athlete in individual and team sports, I say winning is everything. Win a Cup and you are the greatest TEAM in the world. That's a permanent record that no one can take away.

Last edited:

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No, I think McDavid and Crosby are better. Matthews is definitely one of the best pure goal scorers in the NHL though and one of the best players overall, but not the best, no.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
yeah but has he scored 20 in 20? lol

No, but who cares? It's impressive what Matthews is doing, but it's a random, arbitrary stat...

Matthews: 318 points in 301 games played. 178 goals, 140 assists.
McDavid: 506 points in 371 games played. 174 goals, 332 assists.

Matthews is, obviously, the better goal scorer, but McDavid is far superior in total production. McDavid is 24 years old now, and is on pace for 1000 points somewhere around age 28-29. If modern science enables him to play another decade after that, into his late 30's, Jagr's #2 spot in terms of all time points will be in serious jeopardy.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Why do Leaf fans always have to do this compare BS. Just be happy that you have two really really good players. Once you win the Stanley Cup brag for the summer and then move on.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why do Leaf fans always have to do this compare BS. Just be happy that you have two really really good players. Once you win the Stanley Cup brag for the summer and then move on.
Nice of you to come in and tell us what to talk about.

I do think it's best if we just enjoy him and avoid comparisons. Until Matthews is chasing Ovie's record no one around here is going to admit he's anything special. The title of this thread alone probably triggered dozens of Western fans, which is both funny and sad.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
While I don’t put any weight in this season for obvious reasons Matthew’s is easily the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay

I do think it's best if we just enjoy him and avoid comparisons. Until Matthews is chasing Ovie's record no one around here is going to admit he's anything special. The title of this thread alone probably triggered dozens of Western fans, which is both funny and sad.
I spent my working career and lived in Toronto for 41 years. Had Leaf, Jays, and Raptor, season tickets during that period. I guess I am "from away." So be it.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Matthews occupies a lot of space in the heads of people out West. I mean, look at the Oilers' post game thread title :laugh:. Rather than enjoy their win, they gotta try and belittle Matthews. They're absolutely obsessed with him lol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Matthews occupies a lot of space in the heads of people out West. I mean, look at the Oilers' post game thread title :laugh:. Rather than enjoy their win, they gotta try and belittle Matthews. They're absolutely obsessed with him lol

did you see sportsnet post game for the oilers crushing the flames? Matthew’s mentioned a ton when he shouldn’t have been mentioned at all.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
They really are. Maybe its psychological scars from having and losing Gretzky.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Sports are about being better than others. That's the entire point.

Reactions: authentic

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
McDavid is pretty clearly the best player in the world. You could certainly make an argument that Matthews is #2. I'm not sure why anyone would even be upset over that. When was the last time we even had a guy in the argument? I'm 35 years old and Sundin is pretty easily the best Leafs player I watched and he may not have even been a top 5 player in any given year.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
McDavid is pretty clearly the best player in the world. You could certainly make an argument that Matthews is #2. I'm not sure why anyone would even be upset over that. When was the last time we even had a guy in the argument? I'm 35 years old and Sundin is pretty easily the best Leafs player I watched and he may not have even been a top 5 player in any given year.

Nobody is getting upset for saying he's not number one. But strangely some people are upset that the question is even being asked

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Sports are about being better than others. That's the entire point.
Sports are about winning. Not about bragging. Show it on the court, in the arena or stadium, or on the slopes. The great players don't compare themselves against other players (at least publicly), but rather whether they win or lose.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nobody is getting upset for saying he's not number one. But strangely some people are upset that the question is even being asked
Upset may be the wrong word. But there's a small percentage of our fanbase whom doesn't watch the rest of the league enough to know that Matthews isn't the best player. But he's pretty damn close and that's good enough for me. Gretzky and Orr didn't win the cup every year. We don't need Matthews to be #1 to win it all.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sports are about winning. Not about bragging. Show it on the court, in the arena or stadium, or on the slopes. The great players don't compare themselves against other players (at least publicly), but rather whether they win or lose.

Why do you think the Hart trophy exists?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Upset may be the wrong word. But there's a small percentage of our fanbase whom doesn't watch the rest of the league enough to know that Matthews isn't the best player. But he's pretty damn close and that's good enough for me. Gretzky and Orr didn't win the cup every year. We don't need Matthews to be #1 to win it all.

You think people don't get to see enough McDavid? Really?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If it pisses opposing fans off, sign me up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad