Is Auston Matthews the best player in the world ?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Jumbo Joe said that AM has a heavy shot, how is that different than a shot with speed (IE Weber)? How do you develop a heavy shot?

The difference has to do with the release/wind-up.

That's how goalies describe it.

For example, let's say both guys can shoot a puck at 100 MPH.

Player A: 100 MPH wrist shot
Player B: 100 MPH slap shot with an exaggerated wind-up (i.e. taking 3-4 strides and putting everything into it)

Both shots are the same speed, but goalies will call player A's shot heavier. It has to do with the release not matching how quickly the puck gets to them.

Weber's shot is heavy too. It's a cannon and his wind up isn't exaggerated at all. It's a quick, smooth slap shot that's ridiculously fast.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Player B: 100 MPH slap shot with an exaggerated wind-up (i.e. taking 3-4 strides and putting everything into it)

Both shots are the same speed, but goalies will call player A's shot heavier. It has to do with the release not matching how quickly the puck gets to them.

Weber's shot is heavy too. It's a cannon and his wind up isn't exaggerated at all. It's a quick, smooth slap shot that's ridiculously fast.
Goalies swear there is such a thing so I believe them. It may have to do with deception similar to baseball. Where the puck is misjudged and is caught or hits the netminder awkwardly or not exactly when and where expected.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I can now say I learned something new today...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Goalies swear there is such a thing so I believe them. It may have to do with deception similar to baseball. Where the puck is misjudged and is caught or hits the netminder awkwardly or not exactly when and where expected.

The exact same thought came into my mind, Knuckleballers and their fast balls, kinda the same thing sorta?

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I don't know if he is, but I sure am enjoying watching him play this year, he's been so good, everything we hoped he'd be and more

Reactions: Teeder Keon

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Jumbo Joe said that AM has a heavy shot, how is that different than a shot with speed (IE Weber)? How do you develop a heavy shot?

Is a "heavy" shot just a 2021 term for a fast shot?

In the AS skills competition, is it the fastest shot or is it the heaviest shot? Same thing?

It's kind of a myth. Force = mass x acceleration.

Two pucks moving at the same speed have the same force. There's no mechanism for one to be "heavier" than the other.

A wobbling puck might hit with less force than a steady puck, but that's about it.

A discussion I've had with friends from 'way back when', Lanny, fast...Rick Vaive, heavy, Kessel, fast...Matthews heavy, one could go on. @JoeyHoser is factually correct, physics don't lie, but as the guy on the receiving end has said many a time, 'so and so has a heavy shot'. I don't know the difference, but I've seen it. As an after thought, Matthews possesses both.

Reactions: Bluelines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad