Is Auston Matthews the best player in the world ?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Just astounding how badly Babcock held Matthews back while hf Leafs posters gaslighted us with claims that we couldn't possibly see issues with coaching style. Like it was rocket science to play one of the best players on the planet more.
Some did, some didn't.

Personally I saw through his bullshit from day 1... Never liked him dating back to his Detroit days.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Since Keefe became coach (66gms):

Matthews: EV 0.55gpg, 0.85ppg --- PP 3:07toi, 0.23gpg, 0.42ppg
McDavid: EV 0.36gpg, 0.84ppg ---- PP 4:17toi, 0.15gpg, 0.66ppg

So essentially for an entire seasons worth of games now we have McDavid only holding the edge in powerplay assists and points, and Matthews is as good or better in every other offensive category and better defensively. Somehow I still don't think Matthews is better though... but the argument for Matthews is pretty sound and far from crazy like some like to put it.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
So essentially for an entire seasons worth of games now we have McDavid only holding the edge in powerplay assists and points, and Matthews is as good or better in every other offensive category and better defensively. Somehow I still don't think Matthews is better though... but the argument for Matthews is pretty sound and far from crazy like some like to put it.
Well if he’s not 1 in my opinion he’s a close 2nd
But man o man that Mcdavid is one hell of a hockey player ...
Wow , there’s so many incredible elite players in the league now
There used to be 1 only on maybe maybe Half the teams , now there’s at least one on most and sometimes 2, 3, and 4
I must say these athletes now in hockey and other sports , but in hockey are amazing

Reactions: authentic

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
IMG_9646.jpg

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
It’s awesome to win the cup no questions about it , but in hockey especially , where you require mountains to be moved with a entire team and so much more
It’s gruelling and extremely special
Now there’s both sides as extremes like The pocket rocket Richard and the road runner,those on that rare earth
There’s the other side and please don’t tell me that these players aren’t great , cuz they are and
HOFamers
Sittler
Dionne
Stasney
Gartner
Hawerchuck
Lindros
Oates
Perrault
Rattelle
Salming
On and on and on

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
He’s top 5 easily. Probably top 2. I can’t even put him above McDavid, no matter how much of a homer I am.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Title of best hockey player in the world still belongs to McDavid. Best goal scorer I feel the torch has been close to passing but has officially passed from Ovie to Matthew's this season.

McDavid, Matthew's, Marner, Drai and Mack.

I feel like that's the top 5 now and may be for a while, I know there are a lot of talented players in the league so some may come in and out of the top 5, but Matthew's and McDavid are there to stay for the next 5+ years. Imo.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
As our Leafs continue to blaze through their opponent’s , There could be a heated debate but I think AM scorches in 2 more goals tonight, staying hot against the flames as they crackle like kindling wood , dousing their playoff hopes .

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Jumbo Joe said that AM has a heavy shot, how is that different than a shot with speed (IE Weber)? How do you develop a heavy shot?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Jumbo Joe said that AM has a heavy shot, how is that different than a shot with speed (IE Weber)? How do you develop a heavy shot?

It's kind of a myth. Force = mass x acceleration.

Two pucks moving at the same speed have the same force. There's no mechanism for one to be "heavier" than the other.

A wobbling puck might hit with less force than a steady puck, but that's about it.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
It's kind of a myth. Force = mass x acceleration.

Two pucks moving at the same speed have the same force. There's no mechanism for one to be "heavier" than the other.

A wobbling puck might hit with less force than a steady puck, but that's about it.

oh ok there Professor Julius Sumner Miller from The Hilarious House of Frankenstein lololol for those over 50 lol
Just kidding brotha , couldn’t resist

upload_2021-2-22_8-39-12.jpeg

Reactions: authentic and zeke

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As our Leafs continue to blaze through their opponent’s , There could be a heated debate but I think AM scorches in 2 more goals tonight, staying hot against the flames as they crackle like kindling wood , dousing their playoff hopes .
AM joins the 20 in 20 club, pretty exclusive so far Gretzky is the only member.

Poor habs fans who you cheering for?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad