Is Atlanta's SE Division title banner hanging in the MTS Center?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
If a fan wants to think of the Jets 2.0 as an extension of the previous Jets, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that they're the same franchise. You can hold Hawerchuk in high regard, but Kovalchuk is the one with the records, in other words. Which is why relocated teams rarely pay any sort of homage to their previous incarnations. You don't see banners from Quebec in Colorado, or Goulet's number in the rafters. The Devils aren't rocking Scouts throwback unis. Which is all a bit of a shame, in my opinion, but I can see the reasoning for it.

Why shame ??? Kovalchuk wasn't playing for Winnipeg for a single night. Hawerchuk wasn't plaing for Phoenix Coyotes either. Hanging Kovalchuk jersey on rafters in Winnipeg would be most riddiculous thing to do IMO... And cut that "its the same franchise" bs... Yes, it is. And so what ??? "Franchise" is just a legal/paper term... In my book, there is no "Atlanta Thrashers" anymore, same as there is no "Minnesota Northstars", or "Quebec Nordiques"... Different story, different city, different colours... Even different players and owners. WHERE is the link between the former and the current ??? Its just because guy who sold you his licence to play in NHL was having his team in Quebec/Hartford/wherever ???

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Although the current Jets are the old Thrashers...they don't acknowledge any of the Thrashers history/achievements. They still associate their franchise with the old Jets that were relocated to Phoenix.

So im pretty sure Heatley, Kovalchuk etc.. will never be recognized in Jets history.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Why shame ??? Kovalchuk wasn't playing for Winnipeg for a single night. Hawerchuk wasn't plaing for Phoenix Coyotes either. Hanging Kovalchuk jersey on rafters in Winnipeg would be most riddiculous thing to do IMO... And cut that "its the same franchise" bs... Yes, it is. And so what ??? "Franchise" is just a legal/paper term... In my book, there is no "Atlanta Thrashers" anymore, same as there is no "Minnesota Northstars", or "Quebec Nordiques"... Different story, different city, different colours... Even different players and owners. WHERE is the link between the former and the current ??? Its just because guy who sold you his licence to play in NHL was having his team in Quebec/Hartford/wherever ???

that is a pretty myopic view of things

so in your world shane doan and teemu selänne are not a jets?

they played there sure

but both played vastly more games for different franchises

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
I wonder if the saddledome has any Atlanta banners flying. Or if they paid homage at an alumni game.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
that is a pretty myopic view of things

so in your world shane doan and teemu selänne are not a jets?

they played there sure

but both played vastly more games for different franchises

Teemu Selane is retired.
Shane Doan currently plays for Phoenix Coyotes.
Both started their careers in Winnipeg, I never claimed otherwise.

However, Ilya Kovalchuk was NEVER a Jet, and Dale Hawerchuk was NEVER a Coyote. Therefore, there is no need for respectively current Winnipeg Jets, and current Phoenix Coyotes to honor them...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I cant believe there are still people here ready to whine about how the Jets shouldn't have anything to do with the original Jets & that they should instead "celebrate" the history of the Atlanta Thrashers.

:shakehead

As far as I am concerned the only Atlanta history the Jets (or any franchise) ought to acknowledge is Dan Snyder; which has nothing to do with the Thrashers and everything to do with a man who died too soon.

I am glad the Jets finally raised their old Avco Cup banners, and banners to former Jets. The Phoenix Coyotes are a footnote in the Jets' history.

I was so disappointed the Jets weren't able to hold on and win that final Southeast Division title though. How amazing would it be for the Jets to permanently hang a 'Southeast Division Champions' banner in their Winnipeg arena?! :laugh:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I wonder if the saddledome has any Atlanta banners flying. Or if they paid homage at an alumni game.

To be fair, the Flames DO pay homage to the Atlanta Flames. Calgary's alternate captain's patch is the old Atlanta Flames logo.

092013_giordano.jpg

250px-Atlantaflamesgoalhug.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's not

The only banners hanging are Manitoba Moose ones and Avco Cup ones (which were just put up this year).

This is honestly one of the dumbest opinion in sports. Technically it may not be the same franchise, but it's the same damn team. Anyone who can't recognize this is purposely being obtuse.

I might agree, but the Coyotes have old Jets stuff in the rafters. Two retired numbers I believe. Is there a banner of some kind too? I think they also have some displays in the arena about it too. Also, of course there are many players who played for both Arizona and Winnipeg. When Arizona bought the team, they bought the history.

But at the same time, it's not like Arizona would retire Selanne's jersey. Also, an event like the Heritage Classic can be seen as them reclaiming the history or at least contesting it, and many former Jets say that Winnipeg is the true owner of the history and that it's not something that can be bought.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
There is absolutely nothing Thrashers Related at The MTScenter...
Is the Banner still hanging in Phillips? Is there anything Thrashers at Phillips?
Seems that the Thrashers have been airbrushed from history...you still see Whalers, Northstar, Nordiques, even Golden Seal Retro Merchandise...when is the last time anyone has come across a Thrashers Jersey, Tshirt, Hat...?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Is the Banner still hanging in Phillips? Is there anything Thrashers at Phillips?
Seems that the aThrashers have been airbrushed from history...you still see Whalers, Northstar, Nordiques, even Golden Seal Retro Merchandise...when is the last time anyone has come across a Thrashers Jersey, Tshirt, Hat...?

no jokes

i saw a marian hossa jersey at jersey city last week

almost bought it too

maybe i will go back and see if it is still there

$100 bucks for a piece of history

why not

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Let's imagine in some fantasy universe that the Canadiens franchise collapsed one year and had to move to, say, Seattle. (No chance, but let's say it happened for the purposes of my point). They then get their act together and get a franchise back, but it turns out to be the Carolina franchise that is on the move. They get the team and rename them the Montreal Canadiens again and try to move on from what happened.

I guess their history is gone then? It would be foolish as a Montreal fan to reminisce about all those years as a Montreal fan? Lafleur, Richard, their cups- they can't even mention them anymore, only Seattle gets to "remember" those days...after all, it's the same franchise right? It's only natural. Those Montreal fans need to celebrate their own franchise- and can only remember Francis, Brind'Amour, etc. as their "own"? Seattle then has full right to lord over Montreal how many cups "they" have won, and how much storied history they own compared to the pathetic Canadiens, who have only won one cup?

Replace Montreal with Toronto, Pittsburgh or whoever. You're still going to celebrate the years of Lemieux and Jagr when they played for the PITTSBURGH penguins, because they were your own, never Seattle's. They are ingrained heroes in YOUR city's hockey history- memories don't magically disappear and transfer somewhere else with a franchise, and you adopt some other city's hockey history.

:handclap: Incredible post.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
yeah francis and brind'amour were hacks that no one should remember

why yuo thnik both got traded in the first place

zarley zalapski and keith primeau were both better talents imo

i still own and wear keith primeau's jersey w/ pride

greatest #hcane evar

of all time

12540538_10153730472000709_9176493571254439820_n.jpg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Great question about the Thrashers banner still in Phillips. Would love to know. I went to see a Hartford Wolfpack game in 06-07 and I vaguely remember the 86-87 Division Banner still up in that building.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Seems that the Thrashers have been airbrushed from history...you still see Whalers, Northstar, Nordiques, even Golden Seal Retro Merchandise...when is the last time anyone has come across a Thrashers Jersey, Tshirt, Hat...?

Because the Thrashers aren't old enough to be "cool" yet with les Hipsters. Also because the League would rather nobody know how badly they dropped the ball with Atlanta 2.0. A$G drove the knife into the franchise, but the NHL should have smelled a rat in the beginning.

And the Vintage section of the NHL shop should really just say the "Whalers, Nordiques, and North Stars Shop". Other than a few pieces of Atlanta Flames, Seals, Rockies, and Scouts merchandise, that's all there is. Way to ignore your own history, NHL.

I've been wanting to up some Thrashers merch to keep their memory alive, but I'd need an antidepressant to put on that jersey.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
:handclap: Incredible post.

Not at all. Trying to blend two things into one. Obviously the history exists, but it is factually inaccurate to say the same franchise/team exists in Winnipeg. Same with Ottawa. Should be same in NFL Cleveland. Historically dishonest.

But there's no problem with it. All in the meaning of the words, imo. Top scorer in the Winnipeg/Atlanta franchise? Kovalchuk or whomever. But can just as easily say top scorer in Jets history and combine 1.0 and 2.0. Then the answer is Hawerchuk or whomever.

Holding a history minor, it's astounding how many people try to say these types of facts are subjective. Does it make any difference day to day? No, and it shouldn't. But let's not be intentionally intellectually blind when the facts and timeline are clearly arrayed.

As for the example you quoted, the new Hurri-Habs would have exactly one Cup, new Seattle Habs 24. But those Cups would still belong to Montreal, just not that current iteration. Banners, memories, etc should still be celebrated.

Long post, it's a fascinating topic that I love talking about.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Great question about the Thrashers banner still in Phillips. Would love to know. I went to see a Hartford Wolfpack game in 06-07 and I vaguely remember the 86-87 Division Banner still up in that building.

not sure how recent this is, but it looks like it's not just the Division Banner. I see the inaugural season banner and the ASG banner too.
BS1.jpg

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I doubt it, they are too busy celebrating Phoenix's history and not their own.

It's still NOT Phoenix's history. The history in question took place in Winnipeg in front of Winnipeg Jets fans.

The fans who fill the MTS centre game after game are the same fans who followed the Jets 1.0. In case you're not aware, it's highly doubtful those fans are transplanted from Atlanta.

As far as Phoenix goes, they inherited the Jets. Suddenly because they can read about franchise history in a sports almanac, they own it??? Historic events are not owned.

It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
It's still NOT Phoenix's history. The history in question took place in Winnipeg in front of Winnipeg Jets fans.

The fans who fill the MTS centre game after game are the same fans who followed the Jets 1.0. In case you're not aware, it's highly doubtful those fans are transplanted from Atlanta.

As far as Phoenix goes, they inherited the Jets. Suddenly because they can read about franchise history in a sports almanac, they own it??? Historic events are not owned.

It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

It's both, unfortunately. The Jets own the Thrasher's records. Hawerchuk, Selanne, those records technically belong to the Yotes. No-one is taking anything from 'Peggers, they saw that ****, they own the feelings and the memories.

It will never feel right to crow about the achievements of a team from another city, but if Laine scores 40 this year, that's the franchise record. If the Habs move to Seattle, those cups go too. If the Canes move to Montreal, then they only have 1. No one is denying the history of hockey in Montreal, but the numbers are the numbers. The Senators don't get the old Senator's cups. If the Canucks had been called the Millionaires, would they get the Millionaires Cup? Silly, right?

I know some (original) Jets fans that are more Yotes fans than Jets fans now, because they left Winnipeg before the Jets came back, and they have more of a connection to the old team that they kept watching, than the new team that came to Winnipeg. Granted, most went back.

tl;dr Winnipeg, as a community, can honour whomever it wants, but the Jets, as an NHL team, are an expansion franchise started in 1999 in Atlanta, and all rules apply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad