Is Atlanta's SE Division title banner hanging in the MTS Center?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not likely I don't think any other franchises that have moved have banners for their former location. Or do they?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's a very irrelevant banner, so I hope they don't.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd wager not. I mean Hartford's Adams Division banner from the '86-'87 season doesn't hang in the PNC Arena rafters and I'm reasonably sure Quebec's Adams Division banner from '85-'86 and Northeast Division Banner from '94-'95 aren't up in Denver, either.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
It's not

The only banners hanging are Manitoba Moose ones and Avco Cup ones (which were just put up this year).

I doubt it, they are too busy celebrating Phoenix's history and not their own.

This is honestly one of the dumbest opinion in sports. Technically it may not be the same franchise, but it's the same damn team. Anyone who can't recognize this is purposely being obtuse.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I doubt it, they are too busy celebrating Phoenix's history and not their own.

They celebrate Winnipeg history, and they're doing it right :). Atlanta Thrashers is gone, it would be riddiculous, if they'd "celebrate" their "history"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is honestly one of the dumbest opinion in sports. Technically it may not be the same franchise, but it's the same damn team. Anyone who can't recognize this is purposely being obtuse.
I never shared an opinion, I shared a fact.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
They celebrate Winnipeg history, and they're doing it right :). Atlanta Thrashers is gone, it would be riddiculous, if they'd "celebrate" their "history"

it *is*, "their" history tho

the thrash played in the atl for 14 seasons and do have history

why so many jets fans wanna forget that out of spite or something?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
[/b]

it *is*, "their" history tho

the thrash played in the atl for 14 seasons and do have history

why so many jets fans wanna forget that out of spite or something?

No, its not. Only thing they have in common is that team currently known as Winnipeg Jets plays "on licence" of a team formerly known as Atlanta Thrashers. Thats it. Forcing "jets fans" to celebrate history of Atlanta is riddiculous...

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
No, its not. Only thing they have in common is that team currently known as Winnipeg Jets plays "on licence" of a team formerly known as Atlanta Thrashers. Thats it. Forcing "jets fans" to celebrate history of Atlanta is riddiculous...

no one is forcing y'all to do anything

i am just curious as to why y'all choose to not even acknowledge it

for ie

you still see the odd whaler jersey at carolina home games

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
no one is forcing y'all to do anything

i am just curious as to why y'all choose to not even acknowledge it

for ie

you still see the odd whaler jersey at carolina home games

Is there the 86/87 Adams Division Champ banner (in avatar) in Carolina's rafters?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's technically the right opinion though. The only thing the current jets share with the old jets is the team name and the fact they play in Winnipeg. The current jets can be traced back through the start of their franchise, which was in 1999-2000. The history of the old Jets belongs to the Arizona franchise (because they actually played the games), not the city.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
If I was the Jets' owner the only time I would acknowledge Atlanta is if/when Atlanta gets another team and I give them the Atlanta history. If Arizona relocates to another state I'd be asking the NHL to give me the original Jets' history.

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
It's technically the right opinion though. The only thing the current jets share with the old jets is the team name and the fact they play in Winnipeg. The current jets can be traced back through the start of their franchise, which was in 1999-2000. The history of the old Jets belongs to the Arizona franchise (because they actually played the games), not the city.

Let's imagine in some fantasy universe that the Canadiens franchise collapsed one year and had to move to, say, Seattle. (No chance, but let's say it happened for the purposes of my point). They then get their act together and get a franchise back, but it turns out to be the Carolina franchise that is on the move. They get the team and rename them the Montreal Canadiens again and try to move on from what happened.

I guess their history is gone then? It would be foolish as a Montreal fan to reminisce about all those years as a Montreal fan? Lafleur, Richard, their cups- they can't even mention them anymore, only Seattle gets to "remember" those days...after all, it's the same franchise right? It's only natural. Those Montreal fans need to celebrate their own franchise- and can only remember Francis, Brind'Amour, etc. as their "own"? Seattle then has full right to lord over Montreal how many cups "they" have won, and how much storied history they own compared to the pathetic Canadiens, who have only won one cup?

Replace Montreal with Toronto, Pittsburgh or whoever. You're still going to celebrate the years of Lemieux and Jagr when they played for the PITTSBURGH penguins, because they were your own, never Seattle's. They are ingrained heroes in YOUR city's hockey history- memories don't magically disappear and transfer somewhere else with a franchise, and you adopt some other city's hockey history.

Last edited:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If I was the Jets' owner the only time I would acknowledge Atlanta is if/when Atlanta gets another team and I give them the Atlanta history. If Arizona relocates to another state I'd be asking the NHL to give me the original Jets' history.

More likely moved to a province.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If a fan wants to think of the Jets 2.0 as an extension of the previous Jets, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that they're the same franchise. You can hold Hawerchuk in high regard, but Kovalchuk is the one with the records, in other words. Which is why relocated teams rarely pay any sort of homage to their previous incarnations. You don't see banners from Quebec in Colorado, or Goulet's number in the rafters. The Devils aren't rocking Scouts throwback unis. Which is all a bit of a shame, in my opinion, but I can see the reasoning for it.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Wasn't there a Dan Snyder award? Does Winnipeg still give that out?

Agree with the opinion that it makes no sense for Winnipeg fans to celebrate the history of the team in Atlanta when they have more than enough history to celebrate in Winnipeg-based teams, but it would still be nice to acknowledge Dan Snyder.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
While I wish the Jets did a little more to honour the Thrashers history, I really don't get the people annoyed that Winnipeg is acknowledging their hockey history.

aside from that:

I wish the Jets had a "thrasher's" night promotion, Connect up with a local charity in Atlanta, have the Jets wear thrashers jersey's in Warm up, and invite up some of the fans from the city.

Wasn't there a Dan Snyder award? Does Winnipeg still give that out?

Agree with the opinion that it makes no sense for Winnipeg fans to celebrate the history of the team in Atlanta when they have more than enough history to celebrate in Winnipeg-based teams, but it would still be nice to acknowledge Dan Snyder.

Yup, and his number was unofficially retired until this year, when Hellebuyck asked the family for it. He has a special patch on the inside of his jersey, and his mask acknowledges him as well.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'd say that's a caricature of Jet's fans, especially on this board. Probably 95% of the fans on the team board are fine with Thrasher's history. There are some crazies, but everyone has those.

Also, what is there to celebrate from the ATL years? 0 playoff wins, 1 appearance.

Let's not sugarcoat the ownership in ATL. They were probably the worst NHL owners in a long time.

What gets me riled up is when people try to take the history of the NHL in Winnipeg and claim it doesn't belong to the people who lived it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad