Is anyone comparing Kessel to Crosby anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not talking about the WJC's. I'm talking about Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey. I'd wager a fair amount that several posters here have never seen Kessel and the Gophers in action.

Kessel the hype machine got started due to the world juniors, so dismissing the world juniors and the under 18's or whatever he was in at the end of last year would be a mistake.

My point is Kessel hasnt compared to Crosby at any level at this point. When Kessel was playing highschool hockey he didnt compare to Crosby when he played high school, when kessel was 17/18 aka this year hes been putting up 1.5 points per game in college.....when crosby was 17 he put up over 2.5 points per game in junior hockey and now at 18 he is putting up over a point per game vs the best in the world.

Comparing Kessel to Ovechkin is also not plausible because Ovechkin played vs men since the time he was what 16? I'm not going to argue there arent 1 or 2 real good players in College, but that is about all that compare to ANY of the NHL talent.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
You're the one that was calling for the Kessel/Cogliano comparison. Kessel looked quite a bit better, although since you watched the game, maybe you could give me your impressions?

Whoosh.
I didnt see it sonny.
Then again, I havnt seen Kessel one on one in a game against Crosby, & the thread is comparing the two.
In terms of Cogliano v Kessel, only a fool would say that Kessel is outplaying Cogs, & only a bigger fool would base it on one game.
And only a real donkey would compare Cogliano to Crosby. Thank god no one here is that delayed.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I totally disagree with you and your "facts." Kessel's no banger, but the Kessel I've seen this year, especially lately is one who does battle and makes an effort to be defensively responsible. In case you haven't noticed he's been used quite extensively on the penalty kill by Lucia. As for his skills, I guess we're watching differant players.

I agree with you. The people who talk him down on his effort on defense or say he is one dimensional haven't been watching him very carefully. I've seen him live in a number of games this year as well as the road games on TV and he has generally done his job backchecking and he gets plenty of time on the penalty kill. You don't put defensive liabilities out on the penalty kill game after game.

He played very well tonight.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If Michagen and Cogliano play the same against WI. It is tough to compare anything Cogliano and Kessel do. The CCHA is not as good as the WCHA. Going by standings the Gophers are in second but have played 2 more games than CC and CC is only down one point. So its the 2nd or 3rd team in the WCHA that just took it to the number one team in the nation in their house. Now i am not going to jump all over MI yet. Any one can play bad one night. But when WI takes it to them(never thought i'd root for WI, after tommorrow its dead before red again) all MI has done is beat up on inferior teams in a weak league. Stat padding.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Cogliano is a good player. It is too bad he doesn't play in the WCHA so we could see if he can put up points in a league that is more than two teams deep in quality.

But he isn't as good as Kessel. He certainly wasn't close tonight and he won't be as time progresses either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Whoosh.
I didnt see it sonny.
Then again, I havnt seen Kessel one on one in a game against Crosby, & the thread is comparing the two.
In terms of Cogliano v Kessel, only a fool would say that Kessel is outplaying Cogs, & only a bigger fool would base it on one game.
And only a real donkey would compare Cogliano to Crosby. Thank god no one here is that delayed.

Why do you say that? What proves that Cogliano is playing better than Kessel? Stats? If so, Kessel's got him beat.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:
Whoosh.
I didnt see it sonny.

If that is true. Then i am court jester to the world. :joker:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Kessel the hype machine got started due to the world juniors, so dismissing the world juniors and the under 18's or whatever he was in at the end of last year would be a mistake.

My point is Kessel hasnt compared to Crosby at any level at this point. When Kessel was playing highschool hockey he didnt compare to Crosby when he played high school, when kessel was 17/18 aka this year hes been putting up 1.5 points per game in college.....when crosby was 17 he put up over 2.5 points per game in junior hockey and now at 18 he is putting up over a point per game vs the best in the world.

Comparing Kessel to Ovechkin is also not plausible because Ovechkin played vs men since the time he was what 16? I'm not going to argue there arent 1 or 2 real good players in College, but that is about all that compare to ANY of the NHL talent.

I'm not dismissing the WJC's or the U18s, especially as Kessel's concerned since he's excelled on both stages. As for the comparison between Kessel and guys like Crosby and Ovechkin, the bottomline is all three players have taken differant roads in their development. Only until all three are in the NHL at the same time can an accurate read on how their games compare can be made. Just for the record, I don't think Kessel is as good a prospect as Ovechkin much less Crosby, but I still think he'll be a special player.

Sammy*

PuckFan01 said:
But he isn't as good as Kessel. He certainly wasn't close tonight and he won't be as time progresses either.
Thank god we have heard the word bellowed from the Mountain. Without such insight, lord only knows what the common folk could comment upon.
And yeah, he might be.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
Thank god we have heard the word bellowed from the Mountain. Without such insight, lord only knows what the common folk could comment upon.

Just thought I'd help you straighten you out since you are busy trying to impose your view as being the gospel. :D

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Sammy said:
I really dont know how anyone could reasonably say Kessel has greater offensive potential than Crosby. Crosby has annhilated his opposition in every league he has played in & is ripping it in the show. Kessel has yet to.
I guess Kessel has greater offensive potential than Ovechkin.
This Kessel pimping & comparing to generational talents is really becoming quite tiresome, & frankly stupid.

I'm looking at Kessel's tools, not his production. He's faster than Crosby and has a better shot than Crosby. Crosby is a lot more mature than Kessel and has better hockey sense, but Kessel is definitely more naturally talented. Ergo, he has the potential to be a bigger scorer than Crosby, if he matures. I think a lot of people here don't understand the word potential, perhaps it has a different meaning in Canada. I don't care what Crosby did in the QMJHL, nor do I care how Kessel's doing in college. I care about the skills and talents each player posesses and that's what I'm talking about when I say potential.

KariyaIsGod*

fyug said:
I'm looking at Kessel's tools, not his production. He's faster than Crosby and has a better shot than Crosby. Crosby is a lot more mature than Kessel and has better hockey sense, but Kessel is definitely more naturally talented. Ergo, he has the potential to be a bigger scorer than Crosby, if he matures. I think a lot of people here don't understand the word potential, perhaps it has a different meaning in Canada. I don't care what Crosby did in the QMJHL, nor do I care how Kessel's doing in college. I care about the skills and talents each player posesses and that's what I'm talking about when I say potential.

I disagree. Kessel may have higher top speed but I find Crosby is more explosive. I tihnk Crosby's shot is just fine and will continue to improve. Most importantly lthough, Crosby is on an entirely new level when it comes to passing and vision. Kessel will never get there.

Potential means the same thing here as it does there, but I tihnk you are being silly. While Kessel has a ton of potential, it would be a mistake to think Crosby has reached his. He will get better. A lot better.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
fyug said:

What are you talking about? Crosby's 'potential' has been considered to be possibly 'generational' since he hit puberty. Not my words but almost everyones - including the writers here:

Crosby very well may be a generational player, a talent with skill that only comes around every 15-20 years.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/sidney_crosby

Kessel is well thought of but if we are talking prospect, potential, etc., before this season and now, very few would come to the conclusions that you have. In fact almost none have.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
alecfromtherock said:
Crosby has not shown that his attitude is befitting of the Next One status. Throwing helmets, punching the boards for not getting a call and arguing with the officials will not get you any friends.

People have said that Kessel is a little nonchalant at times but does he always show respect for the officials?

Kessel Crosby and Malkin would be a good line but the Pens need to draft a top D-man next season.

Apparently you don't remember the clip of Gretzky punching the Russian guy in the head after he felt he got cheap shotted in the World Juniors.

Gretzky was a kid too.

Sammy*

fyug said:
Yep, I get where you are coming from. Ron Flockhart had more potential than Wayne Gretzky. I guess us Canadians just are not as insightful as you.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:
Yep, I get where you are coming from. Ron Flockhart had more potential than Wayne Gretzky. I guess us Canadians just are not as insightful as you.

Are these the same Candadians that thought Daigle was going to be so much better then Kariya?

And isn't Flockhart a Candian player that played CHL. Probally evaluated by other Candians. Going by this you are right. You are not as insightful.

espo*

MN_Gopher said:
Are these the same Candadians that thought Daigle was going to be so much better then Kariya?

And isn't Flockhart a Candian player that played CHL. Probally evaluated by other Candians. Going by this you are right. You are not as insightful.
So what are you saying anyway?.I've seen you say Kessel has more potential based on his skill-set, are you willing to stand by that? or is this just a Minnesota set of eyes on the game? What are you basing it on? just speed and stickhandling? I agree he's the bomb that way but that's not all there is...................a serious hockey fan from Minny should know that too.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:

You know i feel bad. Here you are trying your best. You get in the way back machine and pull out a name like Flockhart. So i'll give you partial credit and finish your point the way it should have been done.

Brian Lawton had loads of potential. Pat LaFontaine did as well. But who goes ahead of who. And it back fired. Lawton never lived up to much. LaFontaine had a great career. And he had proven himself at a higher level.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MN_Gopher said:

can you say trolling :dunno:

espo*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
can you say trolling :dunno:
I'd just like to see him answer serious questions.He's not from Rodeo drive,you'd think he'd answer them.I guess he's too good for us.

Strange attitude for a Minny hockey fan i think.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
cyclops said:
So what are you saying anyway?.I've seen you say Kessel has more potential based on his skill-set, are you willing to stand by that? or is this just a Minnesota set of eyes on the game? What are you basing it on? just speed and stickhandling? I agree he's the bomb that way but that's not all there is...................a serious hockey fan from Minny should know that too.

This is what i think. Kessel is not as Crosby overall, nor will he ever be IMHO. Now going by offensive zone only. I think Kessel could be the better player. Meaning he has the potential to put up more points. He has all the tools a scorer needs. He is fast, has a great wrster which he unleashes while using his speed, he has a great one timer, and he has a quick hard slapper. He has good control of all of these shots. He has very good vision and gets passes to players through traffic and quick. Sees the ice well. Is patient with the puck and knows just when to shoot or pass. Plus he is always around the puck. Getting those tap in goals and scrum points. And he has luck. One goal allready goes in off of a skate. When you put the puck on net good things happen. And when you can create space and have the ability to get it on net often even more good things happen.

espo*

MN_Gopher said:
This is what i think. Kessel is not as Crosby overall, nor will he ever be IMHO. Now going by offensive zone only. I think Kessel could be the better player. Meaning he has the potential to put up more points. He has all the tools a scorer needs. He is fast, has a great wrster which he unleashes while using his speed, he has a great one timer, and he has a quick hard slapper. He has good control of all of these shots. He has very good vision and gets passes to players through traffic and quick. Sees the ice well. Is patient with the puck and knows just when to shoot or pass. Plus he is always around the puck. Getting those tap in goals and scrum points. And he has luck. One goal allready goes in off of a skate. When you put the puck on net good things happen. And when you can create space and have the ability to get it on net often even more good things happen.
I agree,most of the tools you mention he's got.All except the vision part which i have'nt seen from him in limited viewing.Most of what i've seen from him he was'nt doing much passing,he was just attacking with the bisquit but you get to see the Gophers games so if you say he can thread the puck over the ice i'll believe it.

From what i've seen of him he's kinda of a cross between Hull and Kovalchuk,big time spread speed and knows how to get in the right spot for the big shot.Nice combo.........should go no1# in this draft.

Me and my cousin were watching him in the under 18's last year and were blown away by his seperation wheels......................a couple of strides and he's away from ya,kinda scary.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Crosby will score more points, no doubt.
Kessel might score a couple more goals one year, but Crosby >>>>>>>>>>>Kessel so far, but of course 2 different leagues, blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad